PDA

View Full Version : only took four years!

seancornelis
03-14-2006, 04:16 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6984

I just checked in here randomly and am totally psyched to see a 1g/2g section finally added....of course I don't even own one of these anymore which is pretty sad, but I hope to own another one in the future.

I've gone through an '82 LX HB, an '85 LX Sedan, a '79 (or '80?) S HB and I've also currently got an '86 Prelude S although it's been sitting in my parents driveway back home on Long Island for about 2 years now. '82 was by far my favorite out of all of them, such an amazing little car and virtually indestructable. One of my friends still has it although it's just sat in his backyard and rusted away in the past 4 years....still technically exists though - which can't be said about any of the others!

Seems like a lot of new guys with 1g/2gs have come around since I've been gone which is awesome, even looks as if there's some regulars. I'll definitely be stopping in and doing whatever I can, I've still got a ton of early Accord related knowledge stored away in my brain.

carotman
03-14-2006, 09:45 AM
That's great we have such a section now. Feel free to come by since there'S much to be done knowledge wise in this section :D

2ndGenGuy
03-14-2006, 03:53 PM
I'll admit I do love these new sections. They've made finding information on these cars so much easier. I've learned so much and it's inspring me to do some projects on my car now.

offthahook
03-14-2006, 04:04 PM
I'll admit it has sucked for me. See, if you have no one to talk to about your 22 year old whip, then you have no aspirations. Well, peeps on here motivate me to be all I can be with my 84 Accord hatch. Then, I find a guy who knows what I am describing parts-wise and has donor cars with needed parts. Now, I'm 'bout to elevate my ride to another level. Seriously, I'm glad these new forums are here. These old cars are a blast to work on, but it is hard to find interested people to get stuff/knowledge from. Believe me, I have tried since I have an 81 and an 84 Accord. Hondas are very popular these days, but "back then" they were sorta exotic somewhat. Everyone had domestics. I can remember many a times asking for Honda parts at an auto parts store and people calling them garbage or some derogatory foreign jap crap. Nowadays, everyone has a Camry/Corolla/Accord/Odyssey. Even my mom rolls a Camry and I tried like Hell to get her to look at Hondas in the mid 80's. She wasn't having it then (too $$$, too different, not GM), but her last cars have been Mitsubishi and Toyota. Having an older Honda is a challenge, but I enjoy it! They were so ahead of the times in the 80's. Gotta love 'em-- rust and all!

seancornelis
03-15-2006, 02:26 AM
I definitely hear that. It's easy for people nowadays to dismiss these cars as worthless, throwaway relics of the first fuel crisis but in many ways the 1st generation Accords completely revolutionized the way modern automobiles are built. Economy meant CHEAP at the time, cheap materials, cheap quality, cheap price...and Accord changed all of that. Read some of the press from back then, everyone was blown away by how smooth they were in every way. They were everything European economy cars were supposed to be and everything American economy cars never were.

Of course as far as performance goes, there's some very obvious limitations when talking about 1st/2nd gen Accords, but that can be said about anything thats tiny and FWD - even newer Civics and Accords. Just because one of these will probably never run an 11 second quarter mile or win H stock at the SCCA nationals doesn't mean it's a worthless to modify or restore. If anything, it's only that a lot more independant work and research is required to get where you want to be with one of these. With enough time and money, anything is possible.

I love their style and I love that they're the first real modern Japanese cars and still totally usable. These are rare cars nowadays and that definitely draws me to them. How many people can say that they drive a 25 year old Honda? How many more of them can say that they drive a 25 year old Honda and are proud of it? There may not be many of us but these cars are still my favorites and I'll keep working on them until they completely disappear off the face of the earth.

Coy
03-28-2006, 10:34 PM
yeah i just happened to stop by the site after almost a year and i am EXTATIC too see this ection here. it was sorta a pain trying to get anywhere on my old 2g, and now my tranny is dead and so is my carb so im damn freakin ready to get going with the upgrades.