PDA

View Full Version : changed me fuel filter today, boy was it dirty

SQ is the SQUAD
03-14-2006, 08:58 AM
this shit is nasty. you can litterly see the dirt flotaing in the fuel. i am going to change it agan to see if it got any better in a month. i may drain the fuel tank and flush it out. i just ran a full tank with some injector cleaner, i may run some more seeing that i have the new filter on. i cant say that i notice any power changes, but i got a better piece of mind knowing that its running a lil cleaner. the filter i took off was a fram, so i doubt it was original

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/9164/dirtyfuel4tb.jpg

SteveDX89
03-14-2006, 09:07 AM
That's the fuel that was in the filter? Nasty!

SQ is the SQUAD
03-14-2006, 09:10 AM
yeah, and that only a lil of it, i spilt most of it out getting the filter out so it was a whole lot more dirt in there

SQ is the SQUAD
03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
is it really that bad? has anyone else changed there filter and gotten this?

2drSE-i
03-14-2006, 10:02 AM
i could just see that spilling on your phone lol

yea thats pretty nasty.....

CHonda
05-06-2006, 01:29 PM
is it pretty straight forward to replace the fuel filter..?
just unbolt container, swap out old with new, replace, and rebolt?

or are there any other technical or more complicated things I should be aware of..? thanx

FyreDaug
05-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, make sure you have a bucket to catch the fuel that spills out of the lines when you pop the filter out of it. But yeah, its pretty easy.

wprocomp
05-06-2006, 01:56 PM
change out the whole gas tank-I paid $100 for mine off ebay and put it in the hatch,was easy and boy was it nasty inside-and my fuel looked better than that when I took it out so that cant be a good thing

SQ is the SQUAD
05-06-2006, 03:35 PM
or are there any other technical or more complicated things I should be aware of..? thanx

its pretty straight forward, just rember whick hose belongs to what side. it may thake some menovering. remove the lines before you remove the filter from the bracket

Fushi
05-06-2006, 03:54 PM
That's really dirty !
When I changed mine a few months ago, the fuel remaining in the filter was clear.
The color here is quite frightening... :eek5:

AccordB20A
05-07-2006, 03:44 AM
thats some damn dirty petrol. and your injectors liked that stuff?!?!?!....lol

thats a flash fone:P...yeah u dnt wanna spill that dirty gas on ur fone it may not like it oi

speedpenguin
05-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Wow, that really makes me want to do mine, just in case it looks like that.

SQ is the SQUAD
05-07-2006, 06:49 AM
i prob will end up changing the tank. i am getting a walbro 255 and i got some rc injectors, dont want to ruin them

w261w261
05-07-2006, 08:26 AM
I remember shortly after I got my car at 86k, I had the filter changed, and it was really full of water and gunk. Then a couple of years went by, and I had bought another filter but misplaced it in the mess that is my garage. I kept *meaning* to either locate it, or buy a new one, but one day led into another, etc etc until I had probably put 45,000 miles more on the car. It started running a little bit poorly, then more poorly, until it wouldn't hardly run at all. New filter = everything fine, but again, what a filthy mess in there.

88accordhb
05-07-2006, 09:02 AM
cheers!

Whistler225
05-07-2006, 10:07 AM
one thing about changing your fuel filter on an EFI car to keep in mind:

you should wait awhile (maybe an hour) after running the car before you change the filter. The reason for this is because fuel injection is a much higher pressure system than carbed. If you pop the fuel line off the filter before giving the circuit a chance to de-pressurize, you'll get a face-full of gasoline (happened to me once....thought I was going to go blind....luckily the person I was helping had a gallon of water handy).

SQ is the SQUAD
05-07-2006, 10:37 AM
one thing about changing your fuel filter on an EFI car to keep in mind:
you should wait awhile (maybe an hour) after running the car before you change the filter. The reason for this is because fuel injection is a much higher pressure system than carbed. If you pop the fuel line off the filter before giving the circuit a chance to de-pressurize, you'll get a face-full of gasoline (happened to me once....thought I was going to go blind....luckily the person I was helping had a gallon of water handy).

lol, i am glad that you are ok

Whistler225
05-07-2006, 01:17 PM
thanks ;-) I had stopped to help this family in a Dodge Caravan that had quit on them.....was under the van pulling the old filter, and got it full in the face, eyes open. Sucked hardcore.....

carotman
05-07-2006, 01:23 PM
That's why there's a pressure releif bolt :D

Cheeseburger
05-07-2006, 01:40 PM
i think its time that i change my fuel filter

2ndGenGuy
05-07-2006, 01:47 PM
That is nasty. I guess I need to do that to my car too.

Cheeseburger
05-07-2006, 02:49 PM
^^^^
I always pop my gas cap, then the relief bolt on the banjo.
Saves lives!

lmao!

SQ is the SQUAD
05-07-2006, 03:38 PM
thats terrable

smufguy
05-07-2006, 04:18 PM
is it really that bad? has anyone else changed there filter and gotten this?

mine was like that, when i ran the old tank. Swapped out the tank from Juan (oldschoolswap) and everything back to normal. My car sputtered like crazy and i thought it was an ignition problem, until i decided to change my junkyard filter to a new one.

Whistler225
05-07-2006, 05:37 PM
wow.....really? I've only changed a few FI fuel filters. I never knew they had a pressure relief bolt. Where is it located?

MessyHonda
05-07-2006, 07:13 PM
that fuel filter water makes you think what are thoes middle eastern oil companies puting in our gas...drit...and when its like 3.50 a gal...yeah i changed mine but the primary would not come out of the cage thing so i got a pry and i punched a hole and then pulled hella hard.

Fushi
05-08-2006, 01:32 PM
that fuel filter water makes you think what are thoes middle eastern oil companies puting in our gas...drit...and when its like 3.50 a gal...yeah i changed mine but the primary would not come out of the cage thing so i got a pry and i punched a hole and then pulled hella hard.

Excuse me for the off topic, but you can't imagine how lucky you are for such prices...
Here, it's nearly 1.50 euro (1.9 dollars) for only 1 liter (0.26 gal)!!! http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fushi/forum/smileys/aie.gif... :crying:

Whistler225
05-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Excuse me for the off topic, but you can't imagine how lucky you are for such prices...
Here, it's nearly 1.50 euro (1.9 dollars) for only 1 liter (0.26 gal)!!! http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fushi/forum/smileys/aie.gif... :crying:

Ya gotta remember that we were paying about $1.00/gallon before a certain person who's owned several oil companies became president of our great country....and when that happened, alot of us lost our jobs as well (I lost mine along with about 15,000 others at Lucent Technologies), and those who didn't saw their benefits change significantly. What boggles my mind is that people haven't changed their driving habits that much since then. We all whine about the prices, but continue to support the companies that charge them.

oops, sorry to continue the off-topic stuff....um....

I had trouble getting my rear filter out when I did it the other day....had to jack the car up and crawl under there with a can of WD-40 and spray the crap out of the screws that hold the basket in.

To be honest, I didn't really notice a difference after putting in the new filter, even though the old one had stuff in it that looked like SQ's picture.....

Cant Stop
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
the reason european gas is so expensive is because of taxes you pay more tax than we do our tax is around 35 cents per gallon plus state tax of around 18 cents here in florida,even so gas has tripled in the last 20 years here in the states.
getting back on topic check your local radiator shops to see if they can clean and re coat your fuel tanks if not put a hand ful of nuts in there about 1/2" or 13mm and shake your fuel tank real good, that will knock the rust out of it.

spnrx
08-25-2006, 11:32 AM
I am in the middle of changing my filter now. The friggin' bolts arne't coming out! Bango....WTF! I have the manuel but it has like a dia gram but it's not helping.

SQ is the SQUAD
08-25-2006, 05:09 PM
its best to try to remove the bolts while the filter is still in the bracket

russiankid
08-26-2006, 05:12 AM
now rember we are in USD and you are in Euro's, payroll here and there is different, so it adds up the same.

mykwikcoupe
08-27-2006, 11:57 AM
dude your quote was first said by the fresh prince man. how old are you? never heard his summertime song

ex1z7
08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Holy. . I don't think my filter has ever been changed since '02 (wasn't my car till a few months ago! and it doesn't run :)..) I'm going to get that shit changed :|.. Wow I'm scared to see what mine might look like.

Oh and, I think I'll get it done .. I did the filter on my Commodore and got a mouth full of gas, I'd prefer to not do that with gas that might be black it'll be so bad.