PDA

View Full Version : Engine Power Problems

shar
03-14-2006, 08:46 PM
About 2 days ago, my car started acting up..big time here is what it is doin

The car will start, it idles...barely it gets to .5 - 1k on the tach and it stays in that range....it will not go above and the engine is loping really bad..when u push on the gas pedal the engine cuts out, when u push on the gas it will not go above maybe 1.5 and it just drops again to 1..here is what i have done so far

also i changed the plugs yesterday, started the car up and let it run for a minute or two, just to see if it might iron out, turned the car off and checked the spark plugs and they were carbon fouled..i just dont know what to do anymore plz help if u can..thanks in advance

89 Accord LXI Fuel injected 2.0L

Replaced:

Distributor Cap
Distributor Rotary Bug (thats what my dad calls it :P)
Spark Plugs

shepherd79
03-15-2006, 07:30 AM
sounds like you are getting too much fuel or not enough spark.
1. check the coil. if the coil is bad yuou can replace it with universal Accel or MSD one. or you can stay wth stock one from autoparts store.

2. check the ECU for any codes. you can find list of codes in EFI section of this board. look for sticky thread.

3. reset ECU, just in case.

see if that helps.
It sounds like one of your sensors is not working right. I don't have shop manual with me right now, which by the way you can download (look for sticky), to tell you exactly what can cause it.

shar
03-15-2006, 10:05 AM
ok thx for the info shephard ill check that stuff out

btw the error code i am getting is error code 9 (CYP Sensor) No.1 Cylinder Position..called the auto parts store...they never heard of a cyp sensor

voiceinurhead05
03-15-2006, 11:03 AM
I Have some bad news for you.... When a gasoline- powered engine of any kind can't hit the top end and stalls when the throttle is engaged, It's usually a valvetrain issue. One or more valves in the #1 cylinder may be out of whack, causing the whole computer system to get confused, scramble signals, and potentialy case other problems. I hate to tell you... you may need to send your head to a machine shop for a valve job. Unless you have the means to do it yourself.

Kabuki
03-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Okay, ignore the doom and gloom from the guy above. You'll need to replace the distributor housing, as that is where the CYP sensor is located. And that just makes your parts store contact an idiot, if he's not heard of the CYP sensor. You MAY be lucky and only need to locate a broken signal wire to that sensor, but it's unlikely. Still, you should check continuity between the ECU and the distribuotr sensors.

shar
03-15-2006, 06:40 PM
early this morning we replaced the fuel filter and pump..we knew that the fuel lines were getting pressure..but we didnt know if it was enough and we didnt have a pressure tester to see, nor could we take the car in

before we installed them the car would actually start, after we installed the fuel pump and filter...the thing will not work without using ether in the intake

we also changed the distributor to see if that might be the reason for the (seeming) misfires..still no luck

Checked the coil...we actually even swapped it with a known good one and no difference

i hope it has nothing to do with burnt valves and such....anyways im going to try and think some more of what it could be :P

ill keep u guys posted on what happens, and if you guys have any more advice i am open ears..thx in advance

shar
03-16-2006, 06:07 AM
this morning i saw an article on the net that interested me

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Pdf/112003_08.pdf

it seems like i am having the same problem..so when i get over to my dads im going to check the cam sprocket bolt and keyways to see if that may be the problem...oh gosh i hope it isnt *prays*

azazel_18_2
03-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Check your compresion. If you have a blow by gauge use it. Check valve clearances but most generally that won't foul out plugs. MOst likely the engine has so much wear that is fouls plugs like crazy. Before the rebuild on my accord (even though it could have went longer) I would foul a set of plugs EVERY WEEK. I pulled it down and had a broken right and my oil rings were HAD.

shar
03-16-2006, 04:35 PM
wow azazel

well today..we took it to a mechanic that knew something about honda's and he checked the injectors and said they were not pulsing right or something like that...he said it was probably something do with the computer since we put in a new fuel pump and new distributor, called my uncle up and had him pick up a computer from a salvage yard in tulsa...thing is he got the wrong one and has to go back in the morning to get it...hopefully this fixes the problem....

oh and i checked the stuff about what that article said...everything seemed fine by what it said so no luck there

ill see what happens tomorrow..thanks again for the advice guys and if the new ECU doesnt fix the problem....does anyone want a 89 accord LXI?? j/k lol

Blkblurr
03-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Need to get a service manual and check your sensors. If it's fouling that fast it has to be an air / fuel mixture problem. How old is the cat? Could be plugged.

shepherd79
03-17-2006, 07:03 AM
1. since you are getting code 9, just replace distributor with another working one. reset ECU and you should be set to go.
2. fuel pump and fuel filter problem. fuel filter won't cause no start. So make sure you connected fuel pump correctly.
3. check all the fuses.

shar
03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
well today...getting code 8 for TDC position sensor...and im getting really confused...honda said that the TDC/Crank Angle sensor was near the crankshaft and a few mechanics from Surfside in tulsa said that the sensor was in the distributor..does anyone know where this sensor is at??

i checked all the fuses..there all good

checked to make sure the fuel rail is getting fuel and it is

also checked the timing, timing looks good from my point of view

i have the haynes and chilton manuals as well as the honda shop manual ive looked all through both of the haynes and chilton for this sensor but i cant find it in either one...im about to check the honda manual to see if i see it in there

also here is something crazy that i dont understand....we shoot ether directly into the intake and the car will start, we shoot gas into the intake and it wont start...

shar
03-17-2006, 11:24 PM
lol i feel so stupid....

i just got back from my dads shop and we got the car running perfectly...what the previous owner didnt tell us until tonight was the car had a fire on the left hand side that burnt some of the wires and they had to go and manually splice the wires together...it seems that the some of the wires that were needed for the car to run were not connected and such...so now the car runs and i put $500 on parts ect. ect. that i may not had to of..but eh car runs great now...although i think a sensor or something went out cause now my tach doesnt work...there goes another $600 lol

i want to thank everyone that gave advice and thank 3geez for having this site up for advice and such

carotman
03-18-2006, 05:41 AM
If the car runs great but not the tach, check the blue wire on the coil. It goes to the gauge cluster.

BTW, the TDC/CYL sensor is insude the distributor

Oldblueaccord
03-18-2006, 05:32 PM
you got it

that Tdc crank angle deal tells the injectors when to fire using what the ECU gives it as far as how long. It wasnt getting a signal or it was way off and you were running rich injector timing was to hell.

Always pay attention to the ECU codes first fix them then suspect a bad ECU.

wp