PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Issues

voiceinurhead05
03-15-2006, 11:26 AM
About a month ago my power steering pump started acting very strangely. When I would back out and turn the wheel the other way getting ready to take off, the steering wheel would seize until I stopped trying to turn it, then it would be fine. While the wheel seized I could hear the screaching of a belt. Then it started happening more and more often, even in mild weather. Until yesterday when the system failed completely. Now I have no power steering which makes the wheel very hard to turn at low speeds.

My question is: is it a fluid leak that caused me to run out of power steering fluid? Or... is the pump itself just completely shot?

Kabuki
03-15-2006, 01:41 PM
It sounds more like the rack, to me. Sounds like the rack is seizing or some other blockage is keeping the pump from spinning. Sorry, hard to tell without being there. If there is no fluid in the reservoir, then there MUST be a leak somewhere. Try refilling it and inspecting all of the hoses and the rack.

racerx
03-15-2006, 03:54 PM
well if you run the pump without fluid long enough, yeah it's gonna go. and if you use anything BUT honda power steering fluid, the same is possible.

try filling it with Honda specific fluid, and if it's not working smoothley, then I would personally recommend getting a new pump from the junkyard. you can probably pick one up for $15 or something close. I wouldn't jump to the rack yet; it's usually best to start with the small stuff (or cheap) and work your way from there.

shar
03-15-2006, 06:42 PM
probably a stupid question...did u make sure your belt is tight?

azazel_18_2
03-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Hey man, if you have the money this is the best deal you will ever get on a remanufactured rack. DO NOT get a used on at a salvage yard. I did and it lasted MAYBE a month.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8041865754&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

voiceinurhead05
03-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Well... the pump gear is spinning freely now that it's out of fluid. The belt is plenty tight. I heard somewhere that when a power steering pump is low on fluid, it may seize momentarily. Now it must be completely out and it spins just as freely as it would if it were full.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? It's really weird... :wtf:

racerx
03-16-2006, 10:03 AM
yeah normally it moves really slow... or with a LOT of resistance without fluid.

my guess is that it's totally toast at this point. i'd just go get another pump from the junkyard. it won't take you 30 mins to pull it out... cut belt, remove 2 or 3 bolts, viola. (just don't cut YOUR belt... lol)

Blkblurr
03-16-2006, 01:18 PM
When you say "seized" do you mean you just don't have any assist? can you still turn the wheel when you say it's seized?

voiceinurhead05
03-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Seized- Pump stops turning, wheel shakes and will turn, but without power assist.

On saturday, I checked the fluid level, and it was really low. I found a leak in the upper hose, and no other leaks. Luckily the leak was near the end of the hose, so I just cut that part off and clamped it back on. With the leak fixed, I added a 12 oz bottle of power steering fluid, and now I'm back to where I was a month ago. I'm going to check the level before I take off today and see if it needs any more.

Blkblurr
03-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Your ps pump should not seize when it goes low on fluid. If it does seize it's because it't been low for too long and is toast. It should be easier to spin when it's pumping air. How do you know it seizes?

voiceinurhead05
03-22-2006, 11:07 AM
I can tell it's seizing because I can hear the belt squeeling.

I checked the fluid level, and it does need a little more, so I hope that's a problem solved.

Blkblurr
03-22-2006, 12:38 PM
The belt can squeel cause it's loose. When you get oil to the pump and it increases the load on it the belt may slip. I seriously doubt the pump is seizing.