PDA

View Full Version : How do I improve Gas mileage?

Canadian67
03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Hello,

I have a 1989 Accord lx with 224000kms(139000 miles). I am getting awful gas mileage of about 400km(250 miles) tops a tank(put 56 litres in). What are some PROVEN ways that have increase your guys gas mileage? My plugs and wires are newer, all vac hoses hooked up and timining is perfect. What should i be getting? I try to get the best mileage possible.

Thank you very much in advance.

89AccordResto
03-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Convert to EFI. Pump up your tires to about 40-45psi. It'll ride like crap, and only do this for roadtrips, otherwise they'll wear funny. Also, take out junk from your trunk and glovebox you don't need, extra weight= worse mpg. Try a new carb. New exhaust, free flowing, with a tip that points towards the ground. The tip towards the ground will use the existing moving air to help suck the air out of the exhaust system. A chin spoiler or lip will keep air from getting under your car, so that should help a bit. Shift early. Brake early. Try to keep the car rolling and not stopping at stop lights. Draft big SUVs or Semis. Keep your car clean, because a clean car has less air resistence.

88accordhb
03-15-2006, 03:48 PM
uhhh drive less?

but no, for carb, just like he said, take some crap out of your car that you dont need. uhhh easy on the gas i would say, and use carb cleaner. that will save you time and money from the efi swap. also try out different type of gas. my best milage is from shell using 87 octane, not 89 or 91. so yah. gl. but yah also i would recomment 32 psi on the tires. ;]

facial!!!

SQ is the SQUAD
03-15-2006, 03:50 PM
change your fuel filter

MIK3
03-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Would any type of ignition upgrade (plugs and wires) help as well?

I need to have a shot at some carb cleaner. I don't think my car has ever used that before. Would you guys say it's safe after not using it for a good 18 years?

89AccordResto
03-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Would you guys say it's safe after not using it for a good 18 years?

Oh nevermind then your car will blow up.

j/k

Of course it's okay. It probably needs it pretty bad.

mkymonkey
03-16-2006, 12:14 AM
to save gas...buy a prius!

if you dont have $45,000, just do as the guys above have said. upgrade your wires, change your filters, keep your engine in tip top shape by changing its oil every 3k. check your tire presure regularly and take all the shit out of your car you dont need. like the rear seats! and the pass seat! lol