PDA

View Full Version : swap out 1.8L to 2L ????

dirtracer
03-16-2006, 07:28 AM
i going to put an Accord A20A1 into my 88 Lude will the shafts fit from the 1,8Linto the 2L Trany?? I've tried to find the shaft sizes but can't find them ..If some one can point me in the direction or know the answer please let me know. TIA :rice:

snoopyloopy
03-16-2006, 07:46 AM
an a-series engine will not bolt in. and if you're actually doing the engine swap, you might as well pick up the tranny while you're getting the engine. they can both be had for pretty cheap these days.

gfrg88
03-16-2006, 08:36 AM
actually i think that will fit, have you been to preludepower.com??? you should check them out, im sure they do these swaps more often

snoopyloopy
03-16-2006, 09:52 AM
yeah, i'm a member there too. but if it's an 88 lude, their engines don't bolt into our cars do they? so then if that's the case, i don't think honda made dual mounting points in their cars so they can swap in our engines...

voiceinurhead05
03-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Why would you do that?

This swap wouldn't give you much of a power gain (if any) and it would add alot of weight to the front end.

If you're going to swap an A-series motor in, at least go fuel injected with an A20A3. A- series carbs are problematic... ask anyone on this board.

SteveDX89
03-16-2006, 10:22 AM
An 88 Prelude should already be 2.0 liter. They came with B20A5's if I'm not mistaken. This is US spec tho. I don't know where you're from.

carotman
03-16-2006, 10:29 AM
All the 88 ludes came with a B20A. Some were SOHC, some were DOHC.

rjudgey
03-17-2006, 02:29 AM
I think he needs to check his engine code which is on the front of the engine to the left by the flywheel housing on the gearbox, if it reads ET or A18 then you've got a 2G Prelude which were made from 83-87 maybe you've got a very early 88 that was old stock possible, or if it says B20A5 or similar you've allready got a 2.0l and leave it alone.
If you have got a ET or A18 these can be re-built with 2.0l internals if you just want to swap it out with another engine with low mileage best one to go for is A20A3/4 but leave the FI system with the junkyard and find an inlet manifold for A20A1 which will enable you to use the stock carb or upgrade to a Weber DGAS 38 which will give you boost in power and tuneability for the future, the ultimate would be to have a inlet manifold made for either 4 bike carbs or two weber DCOE's. But get the FI engine as the CR ratio is higher and the cams are slightly better they put down around 115-125bhp as standard depending on country and with a Weber conversion and a few other choice mods will probably put down quite a few bhp more than that on top. Oh and the gearbox will bolt up if you have ET or A18 engine i didn't have any problems with fitting my A20A4 Block into my Engine, you might even be able to use your old Prelude head i did will raise your CR ratio up silly amounts but you'll only really benefit if you can fit pair of webers, cam, exhaust header and system. Best bet is to go onto preludepower.com talk to Trav, Contra and myself their they'll have more input if you want to know how to build up the insides and what good feedback ask these guy's here they are more technical than the others mainly dues to having more money to spend i think!!

snoopyloopy
03-17-2006, 08:13 AM
wait, lets solve this the simple way. which way does your hood open?

rjudgey
03-17-2006, 11:45 AM
excellent point didn't think of that lets just hope he hasn't de hinged it's hood and used bonnet pins!!