PDA

View Full Version : do you think this is a waste of time?

Vector
03-17-2006, 09:26 AM
i am going to put 88 dual prelude carbs on my car, i cannot find a proper carb rebuild kit for my car. they can get alot of them at local shops except the one i'm driving on.

so, out of this all, i cannot afford much but i did find a doner car that i can take the dual carbs off of.

as my car sits right now, zak an i did all the mods to my carb, and is muuuuch better than when i first got the car, but now its leaking gas from multiple spots.(top and bottom of accel pump, float window)
few other spots on same side as accelerator pump.

so i figure i want to experiment alittle to see what happens when/if i get these carbs on my car.

so basically all in all, i'm really just wondering what i need to take with the dual carbs, fuel pump, emission crap(or can i just block vac lines like mine now), wiring.

that sums it up, thanks for your guys time in advance:wave: .

AccordEpicenter
03-17-2006, 09:35 AM
88 lude S carbs are probably the worst carbs honda ever put on one of their engines... id reccomend either going back to stock or going with weber dcoe's

racerx
03-17-2006, 10:50 AM
agreed. you'll have a nightmare of a time tuning those things... i tuned my dad's triumph GT6 dual carbs once... worst day of my life... (took all day too)

A20A1
03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Dual carbs need to be synched... they also need to fit your accord.

Problem is our A20 head doesn't work with the Prelude dual carb intake manifold.
You either need a prelude head... or a custom dual carb A20 manifold.

I would stick with the stock keihin... the carb rebuild threads on this site will give you the correct rebuild kit part numbers and where to order the kit online.
Or you can convert to a weber.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/DSCN2242.jpg

A20A1
03-17-2006, 11:25 AM
If you can find a spare carb, rebuild it off of the car then swap if for the one you have on the car.

rjudgey
03-17-2006, 12:10 PM
i'd get a set of bike carbs and play with them instead will be much cheaper and more reliable than putting on another set of nearly 20 year old carbs.

Vector
03-17-2006, 04:19 PM
so i'm better off just to get another kehlin that they can get a kit for and just rebuild it?
what kind of bike carbs could you recommend, i have all the tools to fab an intake.
what about somthing off a mustang SVO ??? lol:slap:

MessyHonda
03-17-2006, 06:01 PM
if you are going to spend all that money you should just find a donor car with Fuel Injection...or like you said get a kit to rebuild the Kehlin carb...i got mine at Auto zone for 30 bucks...they are like universal because its made for like 7 different carbs so you dont need half the crap that comes in it. make sure to pick up the upper and lower gasket because it does not come with the kit. but if i was you i would go with the fuel injection because it took like a week to adjust the carb after the rebuild and now i think it uses more gas because its running a little rich (25-30mpg)

rjudgey
03-18-2006, 06:48 AM
How does buying a whole car then stripping it down completely to pull wiring loom out and then fitting FI inlet manifold and pump and lines and tank work out cheaper and easier than just get some newish modern performance bike carbs???? Not only is that swap a pain in the arse to do labour wise, but it adds next to no performance gain and fuel economy is still not great, with the bike carbs fuel economy will be nearly as good as most modern FI systems when cruising and not only that you will get a huge boost in performance especially if you get a cam grind thats 270 degrees or more.

If you get bike carbs off a performance bike such as Honda 1000cc or bigger or Suzuki 1000cc or bigger they all use 40-42mm bike carbs and can be bought cheap in U.K. cost us £100 a set for four, might be a bit harder to find in U.S. if so get them shipped from U.K. you can either run just two or make up a manifold for 4 upto you, can be re-jetted by reeming out the jets or if you get mikunis they use the same jets as Weber car carbs.

Far more reliable and will hardly ever go out of tune when setup, in U.K. loads of people are converting old race cars etc. to Modern Bike carbs there's a company here that does the whole conversion with custom inlet manifold for £350 pounds you won't get any performance upgrade that will give you the biggest bang for buck anywhere!!!! Easy extra 20-30bhp on a mildly tuned engine.

gfrg88
03-18-2006, 09:37 AM
man rjudgey is making me want to get a carbed car instead :hs:

w00tw00t111
03-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey Rich, or for that matter anyone else. What would be better for my car *the one that's getting the head throughly worked over :)* The 4 kehien or the like bike carbs or dual DCOE's? They both would act as an ITB set-up just that they're carbs and not FI. But, I know that it seems you favor the Weber's more so then the bike carbs? So for Horsepower gain would the dual DCOE's be better or would the bike carbs? Also, I know we've already talked about emissions w/ the webers are the bike carbs any better w/ the amount of crap that's put-out through the tail pipe?
Thanks in advance :)

A20A1
03-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Keihin makes bike carbs. Good ones from what I hear... Edelbrock also makes bike carbs.

You can have an ITB setup I dunno if redline still sells the B series manifold and standalone kit for DCOE style throttle bodies... but if you use that manifold + ITB's then you don't have to worry about installing the TB's at the correct angle as you would a set of DCOE carbs.

The DCOE carb manifold will have to be custom or you'll use the B series manifold and cut and reweld the flange to get the proper angle.
There have been a few A20 manifold made already... so ask around and see if any of the owners are selling.