PDA

View Full Version : My take on a "Painting Interior Parts" writeup

maxsideburn
03-17-2006, 12:52 PM
I know I'm kind of a junior member of this website, but I've been around car websites for years and I think I've learned a few things. So here it is, if somebody decides to make this into a Howto then go for it, if not here's my take on painting interior pieces. I had written this for my site www.lafayettegearheads.com which I just opened up, so if somebody finds it usefull then good. Peace!

There are a lot of people out there that I've seen just randomly spray painting parts of their interior to make it a bright vibrant color. Well here we're going to learn the proper way to do it. There are two sections to this thread.

Painting Vinyl:

If you have something like your dash, door panels, or something along those lines to paint this is a good start.

What you will need:

Part to paint
A can of vinyl paint (dye, not coating)
Wax & Grease remover (or rubbing alchohol at the least)

Vinyl dye comes only in normal colors, unless you order it special. Which can be a problem for some, but my suggestion is that you make sure that you never buy anything that calls itself "Vinyl Coating", because that stuff is crap and will peal off in no time. Make sure you get actual vinyl paint (dye) in a spray can. The reason for this is because vinyl coating only coats the outside of the part, but vinyl paint/dye actually bonds with the part at a molecular level and won't scratch off nearly as easily. Now the first thing you should do is spend a good time cleaning the part to be painted off really well with Wax & Grease remover, or any kind of paint preparation solvent, although rubbing alchohol will work in a pinch, but I don't recommend it. The reason this step is so important is because your interior parts no doubt have tons of ArmorAll all over them. This will cause the paint to not stick properly and you will end up with a mess and have to replace your parts.

Tape off everything that you don't want painted, and always make sure to lay newspaper or something over everything else around (if you're painting it still in the car) to make sure no overspray gets on anything. Now you're ready to paint. Just remember to use even "brush strokes". This means that you start spraying right before you actually get to the part (so the little "spit" from when the can first starts spraying) and let off of the spray button once you pass the part up. Just continue to do this and remember that very light, thin coats, will look so much better than thick coats. Try to shoot for about 4 thin coats. Allowing a few minutes (5-10) between coats. Also try to make sure that dust and particles of trash won't get blown onto your part while it's still wet.

If you've followed these directions well you should end up with a nicely re-colored part.

Painting Plastic

Now painting plastic is a little different, and much more tricky to get it to look right.

What you will need:

Part to paint
Some kind of plastic paint (Krylon Fusion and similar)
Wax & Grease Remover (or something similar)
Extra fine sandpaper
A can of "adhesion promoter"

First off remember that painting plastic is more art than science, it can be extremely difficult and if you aren't careful you'll end up with what's called "fisheye". Which is when there is a small spot where the paint refuses to bond to the surface and it looks horrible. Even one small "fisheye" can make your part look like crap.

Now obviously the first thing you want to do is remove the part from your car and bring it inside where there is little humidity, for instance a room or shed with air conditioning. This will help the paint dry much faster and bond much better. Also a good temperature for painting is right around 70 degress farenheit.

The first thing you should do is wipe your part down really well with the Wax & Grease remover, or whatever preparation solvent you have. Do it several times, and be quite vigorous about it. Then you're going to want to take your extra fine sandpaper and give it a quick sanding, nothing too crazy, just enough to scuff it up a little and smooth out any bumps or anything else crazy like that. Try to achieve a super-smooth surface, run your fingers over it feeling for any imperfection, because when you paint that imperfection will be amplified 10x and you will notice it.

Now as a last measure you will want to wipe it down really good with the preparation solvent one more time to get all of the dust and grime off of it. Now wipe it down one more time with a lint-free cloth to make sure all of the dust and particles are off of the part. From this point on you want to make sure that your hands never come directly in contact with the part. The oil from your fingers can cause some ugly blemishes.

Once you're ready spray the part down with a very thin but even coat of adhesion promoter. This will help the paint stick to the part. Then once that has dried for a little while you're ready to paint. Just remember to paint in a brush-stroke manner, using thin coats to achieve what you're looking for. Finally as a last measure you may want to spray one thin coat of clearcoat over what you've just painted, just make sure it's a clearcoat that's ok to go over the paint you just used or else the clearcoat could end up messing up your nice new paintjob.

Some quick notes

1.) Just remember that more is not always better. Anything can be overdone, especially interior accents. Try to keep them to a minimum, and only in places that they will really look good.

2.) Some colors just don't work, sorry. If you're car has a burgundy interior you can't go around spraying bright blue/green/red everywhere, it will look like ASS. What colors go with burgundy? Well nothing bright goes with burgundy. So if you happen to have a burgundy interior use subtle colors like black or silver. The same goes for an interior that is tan, or any color other than black or grey. Ever heard of neutral colors? Well bright red looks stupid with tan, burgundy, or dark blue interiors, it just does. Black and silver are about your only options. As far as neutral color interiors like black or grey, you can get a little more wild, but please, keep it in check.

3.) If you want an idea of what can look good, but not rediculous check out some interior pics of cars like the Honda S2000, the Nissan 350Z, or the Volkswagen Golf GTi.

4.) A nice little tip, if your tape-off job fails you and you end up with a little bit of your color where it's not supposed to be go to the auto parts store and pick up some white, black, or silver pinstriping. You can use it to make a border between what is supposed to be painted and what is not, and it looks very good if you take your time and lay it out nice and straight.

5.) The key is taking your time, you could slap it together, but it won't look right. Or you could take your time, do it right, and you're friends won't believe that it wasn't done at a professional shop.

That's about it for my little writeup on interior painting, just remember to keep it tastefull and nobody will ever make fun of you for it. Hope you guys enjoyed this little tutorial. Hope to see what it's helped you create!

89AccordResto
03-17-2006, 01:51 PM
You forgot something about painting vinyl. There's something that year one I believe sells called vinyl cleaner, and what it does is removes EVERYTHING from the vinyl, and opens it's 'pores' so the dye can seep into the vinyl better.

maxsideburn
03-17-2006, 02:08 PM
hmm, never seen it. But that may be a nice addition.

w00tw00t111
03-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah on my can of PPG wax and grease remover it clearly states not to use it on "plastic, vinyl, or foam" because of it's flamable nature. If you're trying to clean one of those parts, then just get the appropriate cleaner such as, plastic prep *by ppg* vinyl prep*ppg* or simple green *for foam*. Just a suggestion if you don't want your hawt new interior to blow up :)

maxsideburn
03-18-2006, 07:13 PM
lol, hmm. I've been doing it for years ;)

w00tw00t111
03-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I know a bunch of people that have used it in the past but, IMO if there's a product out there that will work better w/o the risk of catching fire for about the same price *sometimes less!* then why not? Ya know? Good write up non-the-less!

MessyHonda
03-18-2006, 09:59 PM
yeah good write up...in my auto body class we dont use degresser because of the risk on catching on fire so for plastic clean up we use the 3M plastic prep and it nothing more than vinigar beacuse it smells like it and for vinyl its like some oil that takes out everything...i bought the Dupli color paint from my local Autozone...im kinda mad cuz you said that the coating paint will just peal off... well for plastic i used 400 grit to take out the scratches from the plastic then then clean it and hit it with SEM rattle can paint (12 bucks a can) but looks very nice

maxsideburn
03-19-2006, 09:24 AM
heh, yeah cool. Like I said I've just been using it for years, didn't know. But yes, any good plastic prep, to get the grease, wax, armorall, etc, off.

Whistler225
04-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Hey Max.....if you don't have open flames in your cabin, I doubt you'll set the dash on fire.... ;-)

I was thinking about trying to accent my interior....my Accord is that goldish color....I'm going to paint from the trim down black (the bumpers as well), so I thought black accents in the interior might look nice. It's currently brown.

I figured maybe the dash from the climate control cluster up in black (flat black to eliminate sun glare), and maybe the door panels where they are vinyl....don't know how tough it would be to do the door panels though without overspraying on the upholstery....

Don't know if doing the center console would be overkill....I think just the top half of the dash and the door panels....what do you think? Not many colors would look good with brown....

maxsideburn
04-10-2006, 06:03 AM
I did the top part of my dash, and I'm quite happy with it. I thought about the door panels, but wasn't sure, because they would be touched and leaned upon all of the time. I did do my center console and am quite pleased with it. Do a search for my build thread, there's some pics in there.