PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft Question

bock207
03-17-2006, 08:52 PM
I just picked up a new right side driveshaft at napa today for my 86 manual accord and i'm looking in the maintanance book and it shows a "dynamic damper" on the right driveshaft for m/t models only, and the one they gave me doesn't have one on it. Do I somehow take it off the old one and put it on the new one, or did they just give me the wrong driveshaft? I'm just wondering because I don't want to get in the middle of it and realize I have the wrong one, or go back to the store and tell them they gave me the wrong one when really I'm just an idiot. Thanks for the help

bock207
03-18-2006, 02:01 PM
I went ahead and put it on, and I somehow didn't get it on right. I think it didn't snap into the transmission like its supposed to, because when i filled it up with oil again it all just leaked out around the driveshaft. Also even when the car was in gear the wheel would spin, even though the other one was on the ground not moving, and i thought it wasn't supposed to do that. I'm hoping I didn't really mess something up because when it turns like that the whole inside joint moves real weird. If anybody has any ideas let me know, cause I said screw it for today and i'm gonna give it another try tomorrow.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Was the driveshaft installed with a new circlip on the transmission end? When you install it, make sure you feel it snap into place. The leak is most likely caused by the shaft not seating completely. The wheel should not turn if the car is in gear. This means that the inner end of the drive shaft is NOT engaged to the differential. Reseat the shaft into the transmission. The wobble is also a result of the shaft not seating correctly. The damper is not a critical part and is designed to reduce vibration. I don't think you can easily transfer it from your old shaft. Hope this helps.

bock207
03-19-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm starting to think NAPA gave me the wrong driveshaft. The outer end fits into the hub right, but the inner end is spinning inside the transmission. I can feel the teeth trying to grab, but its like the shaft is a little too small so they can't get a grip. I'm going to try and hold it up there and have my buddy tap the end of it with a sledgehammer and hopefully it will seat and maybe work right, otherwise i'm going to take it back, except they're CLOSED on Sundays, and I have to work the whole time they're open Monday, so it looks like my car is gonna be out of commission till at least Tuesday.:violin:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-19-2006, 10:32 AM
NAPA may have sold you a half shaft for an automatic car. I believe the automatic shaft is shorter than the manual shaft. This would explain why you can't get the shaft to pop into the transmission correctly.

bock207
03-19-2006, 09:34 PM
i'm SOOOO glad i just figured out what was wrong. I got a remanufactured shaft, and i just happened to look on napa's website and it said the inside joint should have 27 splines. so i counted the splines on the new shaft and it had 25, and then i noticed it had a little stamp on the end that said GM!!! so somehow they either put the wrong shaft in the wrong box, or just put the wrong joint on it. Either way i'm glad to know the halfshaft they gave me was the problem and not my retarded self putting it in wrong. now maybe I can talk them into giving me a new one instead of another remaned one for all my trouble...