PDA

View Full Version : Brake issue...

87AccordLXsdn
03-18-2006, 01:48 PM
So my brake pedal goes down alot farther than any other car I've driven and it's down so since I got the car. Does anybody know what would cause this? It also feels like the back brakes are barely working, maybe thats the reason. How can I adjust the backs to apply more pressure when braking?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-18-2006, 02:19 PM
It is possible that your rear brakes are not self-adjusting properly. This is relatively common and happens when the automatic adjuster becomes obstructed by rust or dirt. To check the operation of the adjuster, remove the rear drums and inspect the brake hardware for signs of rust or dirt build up. The adjuster is a shaft with small gear-like teeth which rotate against a cam. If the adjuster cannot rotate, it will not keep your brake shoes at the correct distance relative to the drum. If you are not familiar with drum brakes, get a Haynes repair manual or a shop manual. These publications explain the operation, maintenance, and repair of the brake system. You may also want to look into replacing your brake fluid. This also will allow you to bleed the brake system and remove any air that may be in the lines. Hope this helps.

87AccordLXsdn
03-18-2006, 07:20 PM
That helps out alot man, thanks. I'll have to check things out once I get a chance.

Oldblueaccord
03-18-2006, 08:56 PM
In a pinch run your E-brake on up a few notches. It will get the brakes shoes up closer to the drum. your pedal should get tighter. Use a little sense and make sure the car will still roll of course.

Make sure your brakes fluid is full and clean. Suck some out an add new if you had too.

wp

racerx
03-18-2006, 10:14 PM
definately check the brake booster and brake lines. does the pedal almost go all the way down? when it does, can you get pressure again by raising the pedal and compressing again? if that's what happens, you need a new booster.

but it's gonna be normal for your adjusters to go out too, with rust, dirt, and plain old age. it happens. you might need new springs in the drums, or just a simple clean, and then fluid flush.