PDA

View Full Version : easy timing belt adjustment??????

bigbrat41
03-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Like the question marks say I do not know if it possible.

Replaced the valve seals per Haynes. All OK until I hit the cylinders with the compressed air and OF COURSE:rant: everything (crank and cam) MOVED:rant: . I have tried to
-take the crank back to TDC, cyl #1
-line the cam sprocket up where it is supposed to have been
It ran like it was 1 or 2 teeth off:rant:
Tried again and lost the*%#__@$#* Woodruf key:rant:
Dug the key out of the '88 and tried again.
Still 1 or 2 teeth off.
Is there an easier way ( than pulling the belt off of the sprocket then reassembling and HOPING) ????

sign this one DESPARATE
or OUT OF PATIENCE
or PIS____ OFF
oh heck
A Moron

Oldblueaccord
03-18-2006, 05:28 PM
You'll have to explain what it is your doing a little more.

If your putting air in the cylinder to hold the valve up ,use less air ,Leave the car in gear , chock the wheels, put something in the starter gear to jam the motor is a start.

As far as doing the belt you could really struggle and jump it back onto the cam sprocket. its pretty hard if your belt is good but i have done it in a pinch.

wp

bigbrat41
03-18-2006, 05:46 PM
All is done except for final timing. I completed the valve stem seal replacement . As I was doing that eveything jumped. All, tranny, cam, etc. was as the Haynes said. It even mentioned things jumping when air was applied. However it does not say how to realign it all later.
:rant:
Now I can only come close by taking the crank to TDC #1 and lining the sprocket (straight up) and putting the belt back on. As i said this is still off a little. The car will start, run and motor down the road, but with very little power and reverse is terrible.:rant:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Are you taking into account the timing belt tensioner causing a timing change when you put everything back together? I believe most manuals instruct you to turn the engine over a couple of times and recheck the relationship of the crank pulley to the cam shaft pulley. I suspect that this might be the cause of your timing troubles.

AccordEpicenter
03-18-2006, 08:39 PM
why do you keep losing the woodruff key? You shouldnt have to fuck with that to mess with timing. I believe the same thing happend to me... i think the accord is running a tooth off (yes, the turboaccord... thats 13.7 at 105 with the cam timing fuct)

88Accord-DX
03-18-2006, 09:38 PM
If you want to make sure your at TDC on the timing. Remove the valve cover on the cylinder head & side timing belt cover. Look at the marks on the cam sprocket to make sure there parallel on the head. Then look at the flex plate or flywheel to see the "T" mark on it is lined up on the pointer. If you need to move the timing belt a tooth. Need two people help hold the tensensioner & take the cam sprocket off to move one tooth.

Edit- the woodruff key that is on the crank spline isn't really needed. It's for the crank pulley. The bolt tightens up on motor rotation. It is good to have though. The crank sprocket has it's own key that is on the crank spline. The crankshaft bolt should always be turned counterclockwise....