PDA

View Full Version : 87 Honda Accord DX carb trouble ( I think)

styxandstones
08-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Hello to the forum. We have a 1987 Accord DX with 162k. The car is in good shape and we like it. We had to have the carb replaced, (2.O AC AT) with a rebuilt one. The first one waas bad so the shop replaced it with one that seemed better.......for about a month.

I have replaced both fuel filters, vacuum lines have been checked, timed and tuned up. Fuel pump has been checked and tank drained and cleaned. BTW there is a recall out for 1987 fuel filler tube, and seatbelt.

The tank was filthy with rust and that probably did in the original carb.

Symptoms include, erratic idle, erratic over revving while driving, engine dies at a stop, cruise control seems to fluctuate, high revving with little speed increase. After the car dies out, it will usually start right back up and stutter and sputter. Out on the highway at 65-70 it seems to run pretty good, but yesterday while driving home (20 miles) it was revving up to 4-5k and speed was only about 45-50mph.

I have the Haynes Manual and am going to check EGR and Reset ECU. If anyone out there can help with some ideas we would appreciate it greatly. Ron & Sharon Jordan~ [email protected]

Addendum:

Cleaned ECR and reset ECU. Seemed to run fine out on the highway. When entering town, and stop and go traffic, it seemed to load up or starve for fuel. Barely running and died out several times. Started it back up and jammed my foot through the floor panel on the accelerator and warp 9'd it. It slowly began to pick up revs and then all of a sudden it took right off. Weird>>>>>>>>Stuff. Has not happened again and am going to replace pcv valve today.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

POS carb
08-22-2002, 02:12 PM
I have a theory... open up the air cleaner and remove the screen. When you look down the bores you'll see the venturi boosters

http://server2047.virtualave.net/kromeco/Carb%20Rebuild/Disk3/mvc-014f.jpg

They should be solidly in place, no side to side movement.
Get back to me
[email protected]

hondaisthebest
08-22-2002, 07:57 PM
Are you sure that its not related to your tranny?
because if you can turn your engine at 5000 rpm why you dont have power at the wheel maybe you tranny is slipping?????
at 60mph you suppose to be at 2700rpm???

smufguy
08-23-2002, 04:20 AM
no, hondaisthebest, its not the tranny. its the fuel feed and carb shit with fault thermo valves. Just before mine crashed, for over a long period of time. my car messed up like that. and thats why i fianlly gave up and doing my conversion. and styxandstones get a webber so u dont hvae to mess with it. go to the shop and get a refund.

rocky2
08-24-2002, 06:14 AM
I can make a suggestion: it could still be fuel problems from carb back to tank.

Solution: get your old fuel pump and 10 feet of fuel hose (5/16s) a five gallon fuel container and 10 feet of 16 gauge wire.

Hook the fuel pump up and summerge in 1/2 full container. Route existing fuel line also into container by adding on a segment. See if engine now runs better.
If so you have bad fuel lines or somethings clogged.

What your doing here is bypassing your fuel pump and lines and subistuting them with other temporarly to trouble shoot.

Don't smoke and do indoors

dj99
08-24-2002, 06:59 AM
Just to be clear, rocky2 means don't smoke and DON'T do it indoors! :flame:

Somebody near here was transferring gas from their boat to a container using one of those pumps powered by a drill. The arcing on the drill started the fire that almost burned the house down. :eek:

styxandstones
08-24-2002, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We really appreciate all the info. Will try what Rocky said. Last night we took it out for a drive and it runs fantastic on the freeway, even with AC on. When we get into town and in stop and go traffic it begins this erratic behavior. So we turn the ac off, and keep the tranny in low have to feather the gas feed and the engine will surge and stumble. I cant tell if it is loading up or starving? While in town if you come to a stop and completely leave off the foot feed the tach dips way down, and then peaks back up to something close to idle speed. Seems that after romping on it a couple times, it will settle down.

We have replaced the ignitor with a used one, wondering if that may be weak? Could it cause this problem? The thing is it runs so well on the freeway, but in town it does not.

I like to do my own work and I/We really appreciate any and all tips tricks advice. Thanks everyone! Ron & Sharon Jordan