PDA

View Full Version : pacesetter exhaust leak.....

87preludeA20A3
03-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Ok well i installed my pacesetter tonight and i got on the freeway and slammed in it and all of a sudden i hear a good loud exhaust leak... I think it is coming from that gay ball joint thing.I know this is a stupid question but how do i fix that.... Do i just weld it shut or what?

A20A1
03-19-2006, 02:41 AM
well that ball joint serves ar a flex joint... the pacesetter uses the ball joint instead of a true flex pipe like the DC sports header does... some members have replaced the ball joint with a stainless flex pipe in 2.25" which should be the same diameter as the pacesetter pipe.

Also pacesetter uses paper gaskets, they may give out quicker then the better exhaust gaskets.

so anyways you don't want to weld the joint or it will put more stress on other areas of the header and may break something else.

A20A1
03-19-2006, 02:42 AM
wait, is this the header or the cat back?

89AccordResto
03-19-2006, 02:46 AM
Pacesetter is total shit. You get what you pay for. But yeah, flex pipes are key.

87preludeA20A3
03-19-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm talking about the header.... and i don't think i quite understand what you mean by flex pipe... any one have a pic of that or where i can get one... Is it a custom make part...???

B16KILLA
03-19-2006, 07:46 PM
You really dont need it. The same thing happened to me when I installed mine. Take it back of put some RTV on where the header connects to the downpipe from the downpipe and so on. Worked for me no leaks yet.

Vector
03-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Pacesetter is total shit. You get what you pay for. But yeah, flex pipes are key.

mine was free:)

MessyHonda
03-19-2006, 08:19 PM
mine was free:)
how did you get one for free?...i wish i had one

Vector
03-19-2006, 08:26 PM
how did you get one for free?...i wish i had one

my car came with it, along with tokico shocks, and a rear swaybar already installed. someone was being nice to me. at the time of the purchase i just thought someone chopped the springs and stuck a cherry bomb on it.

btw, mines gota leak to, right at the joint, piece of shit.

89AccordResto
03-19-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm talking about the header.... and i don't think i quite understand what you mean by flex pipe... any one have a pic of that or where i can get one... Is it a custom make part...???

http://cgi.ebay.com/87-88-89-HONDA-ACCORD-LXI-2-DOOR-EXHAUST-FLEX-PIPE-NEW_W0QQitemZ8048336086QQcategoryZ33633QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

EricW
03-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Also pacesetter uses paper gaskets, they may give out quicker then the better exhaust gaskets.

My exhaust gasket between the head and the header finaly gave out last week after two years. I blew two 1" holes in it. My engine sounded like i had a lawn mower engine running in there also.

halxi
03-20-2006, 02:42 PM
mine has a small leak kuz the ball was dented when i got the header.... but thats not my problem with my header.

The bracket that hooks on, on the rear side of the oilpan, didnt reach?! so in lower rpms my header taps on my oil pan and vibrates. Im probably gonna have that section cut out, and use TRUE flex pipe. My exhaust doesnt need that extra support anyway.

Did anybody else have that problem? I even tried hooking it on that bracket before i bolted the downpipe up to the header, and it still didnt wanna go.

shepherd79
03-20-2006, 02:47 PM
all i did to my header was tighten the bolts as much as i could with impact wrench.

B16KILLA
03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
mine has a small leak kuz the ball was dented when i got the header.... but thats not my problem with my header.
The bracket that hooks on, on the rear side of the oilpan, didnt reach?! so in lower rpms my header taps on my oil pan and vibrates. Im probably gonna have that section cut out, and use TRUE flex pipe. My exhaust doesnt need that extra support anyway.
Did anybody else have that problem? I even tried hooking it on that bracket before i bolted the downpipe up to the header, and it still didnt wanna go.

I had the same problem. I almost had to buy a new oilpan. All you have to do is bend the bracket back a little bit with a cresent wrench.

87preludeA20A3
03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah the two oval holes in the bracket part on the exhasut didn't even line up so i just didn't even put that bracket on....... cheap a$$ pacesetter.... Sound good though...

MIK3
03-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I think Mike has it when he was talking about the cheap gaskets. One solution might find the right diameter gasket, a quality one, and replace that if possible and see what turns out.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-21-2006, 07:17 PM
is there something i can use to make a gasket to go inbetween my header and my downpipe?