PDA

View Full Version : 87 Accord, Dies, idles erratically, fluctuates etc....

styxandstones
08-22-2002, 02:08 PM
Hello to the forum. We have a 1987 Accord DX with 162k. The car is in good shape and we like it. We had to have the carb replaced, (2.O AC AT) with a rebuilt one. The first one waas bad so the shop replaced it with one that seemed better.......for about a month.

I have replaced both fuel filters, vacuum lines have been checked, timed and tuned up. Fuel pump has been checked and tank drained and cleaned. BTW there is a recall out for 1987 fuel filler tube, and seatbelt.

The tank was filthy with rust and that probably did in the original carb.

Symptoms include, erratic idle, erratic over revving while driving, engine dies at a stop, cruise control seems to fluctuate, high revving with little speed increase. After the car dies out, it will usually start right back up and stutter and sputter. Out on the highway at 65-70 it seems to run pretty good, but yesterday while driving home (20 miles) it was revving up to 4-5k and speed was only about 45-50mph.

I have the Haynes Manual and am going to check EGR and Reset ECU. If anyone out there can help with some ideas we would appreciate it greatly. Ron & Sharon Jordan~ [email protected]

Addendum:

Cleaned ECR and reset ECU. Seemed to run fine out on the highway. When entering town, and stop and go traffic, it seemed to load up or starve for fuel. Barely running and died out several times. Started it back up and jammed my foot through the floor panel on the accelerator and warp 9'd it. It slowly began to pick up revs and then all of a sudden it took right off. Weird>>>>>>>>Stuff. Has not happened again and am going to replace pcv valve today.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

shepherd79
08-22-2002, 03:51 PM
welcome on board.
check you accelerator cable. it can be loose.
another thing is that your mixture screw is not adjusted right. even when you get rebuild one the mixture screw can be not right. from now on i would recoment for you to do your own repairs. it is not hard. plus if you get stuck you can talk to us.
another thing you can do is adjust idle speed for now. i am not sure how well it will help but at least it will keep you running without dying.

DanG86LX
08-23-2002, 08:07 AM
Looks like you've done everything fuel related. Maybe you should look at electrical systems now. How does your spark plugs look like after a bad run ? Coil, wires and igniter could give erratic firing.. How about advance systems (distributor) ?

POS carb
08-23-2002, 10:22 AM
I KNOW I've read this before lol
don't remember where though...
I believe your problems are carb/vacuum system related.

POS carb
08-23-2002, 10:23 AM
oh, a bad coil can also be at fault b/c the fuel pump uses a coil input for knowing when to pump and when to stop, but the "randomness" of the symptoms makes me think you need a new carb or at least check out the vacuum tubing on yours.

ACCORD EX
08-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by POS carb
I KNOW I've read this before lol
don't remember where though...
I believe your problems are carb/vacuum system related.

in the technical forum ! :D

MIKE

styxandstones
08-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We really appreciate all the info. Will try what Rocky said. Last night we took it out for a drive and it runs fantastic on the freeway, even with AC on. When we get into town and in stop and go traffic it begins this erratic behavior. So we turn the ac off, and keep the tranny in low have to feather the gas feed and the engine will surge and stumble. I cant tell if it is loading up or starving? While in town if you come to a stop and completely leave off the foot feed the tach dips way down, and then peaks back up to something close to idle speed. Seems that after romping on it a couple times, it will settle down.

We have replaced the ignitor with a used one, wondering if that may be weak? Could it cause this problem? The thing is it runs so well on the freeway, but in town it does not.

I like to do my own work and I/We really appreciate any and all tips tricks advice. Thanks everyone! Ron & Sharon Jordan

POS carb
08-24-2002, 08:12 PM
Can you keep a steady idle at 1000 RPM by holding the throttle open a bit?
Vacuum leaks manifest themselfs mostly at engine speeds under 2000 RPMS, you shoukd check for those, especially if you've never relpaced any of the hoses. Carb cleaner is an excellent leak detector because upon spraying near a leak the idle rpms will immediately pick up and die down

marc49
08-30-2002, 10:03 AM
I'm inclined to think it's a vacum leak also. I "thought" I had no vacuum leaks after checking and checking, but I ended up having a slightly cracked vacum hose in the back underneath the air cleaner. Fixed that little hose and voila it runs beautifully. There are to many damn vacum hoses on our carbs :mad:

styxandstones
09-02-2002, 11:44 AM
Well this problem has been solved for Free by The Dealer. Turns out there was a recall on the filler tube for 1987 Accords. There is also a recall for Seat belts and Owners Manuals. The fuel filler tube had rusted out in some areas and there was no suction/vacuum from the tank. There are several lines leading from the filler tube to the engine compartment. Any way it runs like a top now. Thanks to this very helpful forum we have learned alot and wish to thank all for your help and suggestions.

DanG86LX
09-02-2002, 04:44 PM
Well, we glad to hear your problem was solved but I don't think your Dealer has been honest with you, cause there shouldn't be any "suction/vacuum from the tank" for the fuel system to work!
"There are several lines leading from the filler tube to the engine compartment.." what might look like several lines is actually one vapor line that goes to charcoal canister, sort of fuel recovery BS. Anyway, that could not explain your erratic problems on idle system. Bet they opened and cleaned carb's float bowl again.

A20A1
09-02-2002, 07:29 PM
Thats a cool avatar, DanG86LX
http://www.3geez.com/avatar.php?userid=507&dateline=1026492530

DanG86LX
09-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Ugh..just a few 3geez looking for the spare tire..