PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure problem! help!

davke
03-19-2006, 07:35 AM
hi again,

i have the problem with the oil pressure on my b20a1, i think it is to high becouse oil leaks through the oil filter out!! And a little through the oil filter block (not engine block). and the oil is disappearing quite quickly and the cooling fluid is getting a little black. on high rpm i can see a little blue smokes. so i guess it is something wrong with the oil pressure. oil pump?! my father says that it is reduction valve fault. the oil pressure gets very big and mixs with the cooling fluid in the oil filter block (in the oil cooling system) so the cooling fluid gets black.
i am going to check the oil pressure so who knows what it should be on idle and 3000 rpm?

sori form my terrible english, i hope You will understand

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Your oil pressure specifications are as follows:

At idle: 137kPa (20 psi) minimum
at 3000rpm: 470-559kpa (67-80 psi)

davke
03-19-2006, 09:09 AM
well, my pressure-gauge is very old and the maximum line is 44psi, so i turned on engine and on the idle the indicator jumped over the maximum line, so we guess it is reduction valve fault. what is your opinion how can i fix this problem?

and thanx '89AccordLX(Rus) for info!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-19-2006, 10:29 AM
The oil pressure on a cold engine at idle will be high. This happens because the oil is cold and thick. Let the engine warm up to normal temperature and then check the oil pressure again. At idle, the reduction/relief valve plays no role at all because the pressure is not great enough to open the bypass chanel. If your valve is faulty, you will see the pressure go up higher than the recommended values at or above 3000 rpm. The relief valve should allow the pressure to rise to a certain level and then maintain that pressure. Hope this helps.

davke
03-19-2006, 10:47 AM
yes i understand that, so we think that that valve doesn't open at all or too little, anyway the oil pressure is too big at this moment

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-19-2006, 10:52 AM
I'd say pull the oil filter base and oil cooler unit off and clean them up real nicely. The relief valve is serviceable. At least on A20A engines you can remove the valve assembly with a large hex driver/allen wrench. All it is composed of is some washers, a spring, and a metal cylinder. Maybe your's is just caked up with grime. Also, I can't see how the coolant can mix with oil through the oil cooler. The oil cooler appears to be a separate unit by itself and shouldn't allow oil and coolant to interact. Perhaps your oil cooler is damaged/cracked and leaking oil? An internal crack may lead to mixing of oil and coolant there too.

davke
03-19-2006, 10:58 AM
where is that relief valve on b20?? the oil cooler and oi filter base is one and the same part,so why do you separate these things?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Have a look at this shot from the shop manual:

http://zakm.hotbox.ru/OilCooler.jpg

The relief valve should be in the oil filter base (at least it is on the A20A engines). The manual, however, says to check the oil pump if the pressure is not within specifications. Perhaps that is where the relief mechanism is located? I'm going strictly by the shop manual here as I have not had to deal with a B20A engine before.

davke
03-19-2006, 11:31 AM
i gues i will need to take of the carter and oil pump :(

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-19-2006, 12:27 PM
You'll have to remove the oil pan for sure. The valve can then be accessed from the bottom. Here are a couple of more pages from the shop manual:
http://zakm.hotbox.ru/OilPump.jpg
http://zakm.hotbox.ru/OilPump2.jpg

Hope this helps ya.

davke
03-19-2006, 12:47 PM
i will see it carefully. man, thank you really!!

'A20A3'
03-19-2006, 02:21 PM
The blue smoke at higher rpm's is your piston rings/valve seals. If there is any coolant in your oil/oil in your coolant, you're fucked. You need to replace your headgasket.

davke
03-20-2006, 09:38 AM
everythink is ok with the oil pump and relief valve and filter box i don't know wtf it is!!

i don't know but there were times when i turned off and then turning on an engine and the oil pressure sensor/lamp (near the speedometer) didn't get on!!. after some time the lamp is turning on. looks like a big pressure in the oil filter box, but why?

shepherd79
03-20-2006, 02:13 PM
if you are getting oil and coolant mixed together, you need to replace the head gasket.
Replace the headgasket and see if that will fix the problem.