PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone offer A20 shortblocks?

89AccordResto
03-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Just wondering if we can buy preassembled shortblocks for our cars. :)

AccordEpicenter
03-19-2006, 02:42 PM
built or stock spec?

89AccordResto
03-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Stock.

89AccordResto
03-19-2006, 08:25 PM
http://www.rpmmachine.com/enginetophonda.html

Stock shortblock A20: $547

Not too shabby. :D

rjudgey
03-20-2006, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't buy a shortblock with Topline parts their crap couple of guy's used their re-build kits on preludepower.com on 2G's which use the same engine they had pump failures and gasket failures from poor quality parts, DIY with Felpro parts won't cost anymore and re-building blocks is a doddle it's the heads that are tricky with all the valve train, seals and guides that need to be perfect. Just buy yourself a scrapyard block pull it apart and you'll see how imple they are, then just have the machine work done locally like deck skimming, honing, crank polishing or grinding etc. haynes manual gives you step by step guide on how to re-build an A20 style block and head. If your not sure then let an engine builder do it for you you just give him the parts that you want to use instead.
Pumps i'd use Sealed Power rings too or if on a budget Hastings rings are okay, ACL bearings as they last a long time and will take upgrade if you want to boost power later on, ans use stock Honda pistons for A20A3/4 don't use any other makes as they are all inferior and don't have the right CR ratio and the correct position for the valve pockets.

b8er
03-20-2006, 08:31 AM
if you search " what other parts fit my accord" or somthing like that theres a thread in here which lists any company that does or did make parts for our cars, this is a company that make 'perfrormace' motors but for the life of me i cant remeber the compansy name, started with a p. paeco or somthing

89AccordResto
03-20-2006, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't buy a shortblock with Topline parts their crap couple of guy's used their re-build kits on preludepower.com on 2G's which use the same engine they had pump failures and gasket failures from poor quality parts, DIY with Felpro parts won't cost anymore and re-building blocks is a doddle it's the heads that are tricky with all the valve train, seals and guides that need to be perfect. Just buy yourself a scrapyard block pull it apart and you'll see how imple they are, then just have the machine work done locally like deck skimming, honing, crank polishing or grinding etc. haynes manual gives you step by step guide on how to re-build an A20 style block and head. If your not sure then let an engine builder do it for you you just give him the parts that you want to use instead.
Pumps i'd use Sealed Power rings too or if on a budget Hastings rings are okay, ACL bearings as they last a long time and will take upgrade if you want to boost power later on, ans use stock Honda pistons for A20A3/4 don't use any other makes as they are all inferior and don't have the right CR ratio and the correct position for the valve pockets.

All those parts plus machine shop labor = well over $1000.

2drSE-i
03-20-2006, 09:27 AM
sounds like a good price for a rebuild, if you want it done right. but if you want failure as rjudgey said topline parts are crap.

89AccordResto
03-20-2006, 10:00 AM
But if you buy a shortblock you're getting the block, pistons, rings, and bearings. You'd still need to put on the waterpump, head, pan, etc etc etc etc. Considering he was only bitching about topline waterpumps and gaskets..... why not just buy this topline shortblock, then build the rest of the engine with felpro gaskets and quality parts?

rjudgey
03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I would presume those prices would be based on an exchange only basis if not then yeah cheap price for an engine but do they bother machining any of the surfaces? have they checked the bores for taper or just hone it and slap new rings in? Topline are poor all over the bearings are weak too not just the pumps so you might as well just do it yourself at least you know it's been done properly.
an Engine costs me £75 pounds full Gasket kit from Felpro about £75 pounds cheaper in U.S. as it doesn't need shipping. Block decking about £40, cylinder hone £20, chemical clean and wash about £20, Crank polish £20, New ACL bearings £50 full set, Pistons Honda £40 each (about half the price in U.S.), piston rings £25, so about £485 in machining work and parts but doesn't include cost of someone building the engine though, takes about a day to be done by someone taking care although most could do a quickie in half a day, someone using Haynes manual doing it themselves about a weekend will cover it.

Kabuki
03-31-2006, 11:57 AM
Jeez, I should start buying and rebuilding A20s at that price...

b8er
03-31-2006, 06:12 PM
heres what i was talking about, i emailed them about a week ago wondering if they still had anything but i havent recived any emails back yet so who knows

Engines: Paeco (Still In Procuction)
http://www.paeco.com/files/2006Catalog.pdf
Stage One (146 hp)
Stage SRE (158 hp)
Stage Two (176 hp)
Stage Three (202 hp)
Stage Four (242 hp)

gfrg88
03-31-2006, 07:13 PM
i emailed them about two weeks ago too about those same engines but i still havent recieved an answer yet. it be sweet if they still make them, i know i would get one :rockon:

b8er
03-31-2006, 10:33 PM
i emailed them about two weeks ago too about those same engines but i still havent recieved an answer yet. it be sweet if they still make them, i know i would get one

diddo on all that, i emailed them around 2 weeks ago, no awnser, and i 2 would buy one, stage 2 for me, streeable and more power

89AccordResto
04-01-2006, 09:20 AM
A lot. $4000 for stage one, which is basically stock.

b8er
04-01-2006, 09:38 AM
ahaha, yea for some reason i never looked at the price, aha, i feel like a total noob, aha

BITESIZE
04-01-2006, 09:45 AM
What a rip off.

Kabuki
04-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I'd have to agree.

bobafett
04-06-2006, 02:53 PM
those guys are worthless anyway, they used to have a underdrive pulley kit, i called them and basically got the shaft when trying to talk to them about it.

b8er
04-06-2006, 04:55 PM
those guys are worthless anyway, they used to have a underdrive pulley kit, i called them and basically got the shaft when trying to talk to them about it.

ah well, they seem kinda shotta anyways, but thats good for ppl to know

snoopyloopy
04-06-2006, 05:37 PM
wait, $4000 for a paeco doesn't sound bad if these are the actual numbers. they say the hp is in parentheses in their catalog. and look at the numbers. it says for a stage one that costs $4600 ($3800 for a kit), you can expect 201. and it goes all the way to 302 for a stage four. although 302 on an a20 sounds extremely unlikely. too bad no one has gotten one and can shed some light on this for us...

modu03
04-14-2006, 01:31 PM
you can get good stock longblocks here...
www.powerpro2000.com/lb_honda.htm

$1759 a20a3..

5yr 100,000 mile warranty