PDA

View Full Version : my aftermarket power door lock delima

SQ is the SQUAD
03-19-2006, 04:22 PM
i got an 89 accord coupe. as we all know the coupes did no come with power door locks. i got the aftermarket acuators and i am hooking them up to my viper alarm. after hooking up the acuators so that they will fit with the door panels i ran into a problem. i can get them to lock really good, but they half ass when you try to unlock. its not the actualor itself cuz u tried different ones. i tihkn it has to do with the position i had to bend the poles. maybe the springs in the door handles and everything just need to be lubed up some. any1 else run into this problem?

this is the first position, but it dident work cuz of the door panel. this was the best setup cuz the arm ran paraell with the lock rod
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1852/pdl7bf.jpg

this is the second setup. i had to sink the acuator inside the hole so it clears the door panel
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7179/pdl44fr.jpg

i had to bend the rod like this so that it works, and this is where i think i am running into my problems
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2924/pdl53gb.jpg

just a lil hint. its a bitch, but you can run the acuator wires properly through you dooor loom and this is where the wires will come out inside the car
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8615/pdl37lk.jpg

TJ89Accord
03-21-2006, 10:17 AM
My guess is that it's not working because it is bent way too much. Try turning it around, and running the metal rods like you had them before. You want it bent as little as possible.

tim

ghettogeddy
03-21-2006, 11:19 AM
can i get a whole pic of the door

ghettogeddy
03-21-2006, 11:35 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/56465465.jpg

that one was fun to put in

EricW
03-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Can you do the first set up but move the acuator inside the door with the rod coming out to where it is conneted. You may have to turn the motor towards the outside of the car so it would be mounted at an angle to cleat the two rods. (it may not let the window go down if there isn't enough room)

EricW
03-21-2006, 12:47 PM
double post.

edit.

Another idea would be on the second setup. Flip the actuator over and turn it around and bent the rod so it comes from inside the door to the out side to connect like the first setup did.

ghettogeddy
03-21-2006, 01:10 PM
well actually all u have to do is mount the actuator on the insdie of the door thats what i had to do on my volvo even though it had central locking it was all controled by the drivers door lock and there wasent a switch

guaynabo89
03-21-2006, 01:59 PM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7179/pdl44fr.jpg
i had to bend the rod like this so that it works, and this is where i think i am running into my problems
]

In my hatch I have it kinda like this but with the actuating end pointing in the other direction and upsidedown to yours. ( with the motor part facing up). Plus you have to align the actuator paralell to the rod. It looks way to bent to work right.

TheWatcher
03-21-2006, 03:48 PM
In my hatch I have it kinda like this but with the actuating end pointing in the other direction and upsidedown to yours. ( with the motor part facing up). Plus you have to align the actuator paralell to the rod. It looks way to bent to work right.
Or you can just take it to you nearest DEI certified installer, and have them do it. If money is a problem, just have them install one door, then take it home and examine how they installed it and finish the other door.

Peace.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-21-2006, 03:59 PM
or i could just ask someone.

i tired a couple of different positions, and none really worked with getting the acuator lined up with the rods. the first one worked great but it was in the way of the dor panel. this one works great for locking but half-asses unlocking. i need to find a way to stiffen up the rod

guaynabo89
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Or you can just take it to you nearest DEI certified installer, and have them do it. If money is a problem, just have them install one door, then take it home and examine how they installed it and finish the other door.
Peace.

Just cause theyre certified doesnt mean they would do a better job. I know this for a fact!

ghettogeddy
03-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Just cause theyre certified doesnt mean they would do a better job. I know this for a fact!

man i could'nt of said it better my self most of them certified guys at like best buy and circut city dont know jack

TheWatcher
03-23-2006, 05:03 AM
DEI certified techs get training every year AFAIK, and I know for a fact that some DEI installers here fly to the mainland to get training/updates.

man i could'nt of said it better my self most of them certified guys at like best buy and circut city dont know jack
You're talking out of your hat, they are NOT like Circuit City/Best Buy guys, but hey ... do whatever you want. :lol:

Do whatever you want, I really could care less.

Peace.

ghettogeddy
03-23-2006, 06:31 AM
then stop post whorin and actually help some one tellin them to go see a tech isnt helping and yes i will "do what i want" the techs here in nor cal are complete idiots and if your talking about actual stereo shops 90% of them out here are not certified

89AccordResto
03-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Peace.

hAHahhaHAa. Nice. :)

guaynabo89
03-24-2006, 04:40 PM
DEI certified techs get training every year AFAIK, and I know for a fact that some DEI installers here fly to the mainland to get training/updates.
You're talking out of your hat, they are NOT like Circuit City/Best Buy guys, but hey ... do whatever you want. :lol:
Do whatever you want, I really could care less.
Peace.

What the hell does AFAIK mean?

All the training in the world isnt going to help you if dont have basic common sense. For the most part the people that actually know what they are doing are the really high end shops that do top dollar high end installs. Shos with demo vehicles etc.

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 04:46 PM
What the hell does AFAIK mean?
All the training in the world isnt going to help you if dont have basic common sense. For the most part the people that actually know what they are doing are the really high end shops that do top dollar high end installs. Shos with demo vehicles etc.
for what i can guess AFAIK means "as far as i know" but i could be wrong im not certified

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 05:06 PM
but anyways sq did u figure it out yet