PDA

View Full Version : help...high idle with carb cold air

ridered9hbs
03-19-2006, 06:45 PM
hi, i have just put in a cold air for my carbed accord. i connected the vaccum lines 16 and 17 and plugged 8 and 33. i have a problem though. my car has a really high idle now, im talking 4000 rpms:wtf: . it used to idle at 1500. i tried adjusting the idle screw but that didnt help. my air temp sensor is not connected to the intake right now. would this be causing it?, is the air/fuel ratio messed up? by the way my car is deseiling really bad because of the high idle. i dont think its a vaccum leak but could that be causeing the high idle as well. well please help me with my problem and ill take and suggestions. BTW i searched but i couldnt find anything quite similar

A20A1
03-19-2006, 10:34 PM
yes a vacuum leak could cause your problem.

Get a picture if you can of everything you did...

you can host the image on www.photobucket.com and copy the [img style tag + link they provide for each image to your post here.

in the mean time take a look at this thread
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46572

A20A1
03-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Double check that you plugged/sealed all possible vacuum ports on the hard metal vacuum lines that surround the carb.

I really doubt this would cause any problems but when you connected #16 and #17 did you use a "T" or "Y" fitting and where did you connect the third port to? Did you route it back to the intake pipe? Remember that the 3rd port does not connect to intake manifold vacuum. You connect it to your filter box or to the cold air intake pipe leading to the carb.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/car%20stuffs/intakecutaway.png

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/car%20stuffs/100179.png

ridered9hbs
03-20-2006, 02:58 PM
thanks for the reply, i did not use a "T" fitting for 16 and 17 but i just connected them both directly to the airbox. Ill take pictures of my setup and post them up ASAP.

ridered9hbs
03-20-2006, 03:48 PM
my set up
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/ridered9hbs/cam025.jpg
i plugged 8 and 33 with a tight fitting screw
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/ridered9hbs/cam028.jpg
i connected 16 and 17 to the civic air box seperatly
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/ridered9hbs/cam027.jpg
what is this tube for, i figured it was important so i connected it
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/ridered9hbs/d.jpg
here is the vaccum discription:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/ridered9hbs/f.jpg

ridered9hbs
03-20-2006, 03:50 PM
o ya, and the plexiglass top was not forming a tight seal, even with a gasket, so i tried the stock cover and it didnt fix the problem

A20A1
03-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah #16 and #17 are fine the way they are.

That large hose coming from the black box on the right is one of the Air Suction hoses.

ridered9hbs
03-20-2006, 06:26 PM
i still dont know where the vaccum leak could be from
should 8 and 33 be plugged like that?, do i need the air suction hosed plugged into the airbox or can i just leave it open? i still have no idea why it is idling so high and its a big problem.

A20A1
03-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Get some vacuum caps, they should be 5/32" look in the auto parts store... checkers/kragen/schucks stock "HELP!" brand vacuum caps.

Other then that try the idle adjustment proceedure in the link I gave you above.

ridered9hbs
03-21-2006, 07:06 PM
okay i compleatly blocked 8 and 33 and it did not do the trick. i am doing about 3000 rpm now though. i think the problem is the vaccum line that is connected to the choke puller or something like that. i can see that on the passenger side of the carb that there is a thing on the bottom of the carb that controls the throttle. i think thats the choke puller. there looks like a feed line and return line going into this. i followed the lines but could not find any leaks. did you experience any thing like this when you put your intake in. did you just connect 16 and 17 and block off 8 and 33, is that all you did or did you do something else? Thanks for the help A20A1 and if anyone else who did this mod could put their .02 for a fix that would be aprieciated.

ridered9hbs
03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=A20A1] Remember that the 3rd port does not connect to intake manifold vacuum. You connect it to your filter box or to the cold air intake pipe leading to the carb.

what is the third port you are talking about?

A20A1
03-22-2006, 12:17 AM
forget about that... the way you connected #16 and #17 is fine...

Try to lower the idle using the screw on the throttle controler..

the choke puller is on the top of the carb... it has two vacuum lines on it... #18 and #20 or #21 I think... not sure though I'd have to look at a diagram.

The idle controller/ throttle controller/idle diaphragm... will have one vacuum line on it.. and a screw nearby... turn the screw counter clockwise and see if the idle drops.

--------

another thing to try is lowering the idle doesn't work... is disconnect #17... if that doesn't help disconnect The large vacuum hose to the air suction valve, add a filter to the hose though because it need filtered air.

ridered9hbs
03-22-2006, 02:15 PM
ok i went to the parts store and got a T fitting and a few vaccume caps. after all of that i am still having the same problem. i put my finger over 16 and 17 and there is no suction, does anyone no how this could be happening? whenever i put the intake in i ran perfect the first time i started it, then after the next drive thats when the problem started happening, i dont think i messed anything up but WTF. is there anything you can use to help you find a vaccume leak? i have done a visual inspection and could not find anything after hours of looking. this is really getting agrevating because i feel like i have tried almost everything. thanks for your help so far and more would be apreciated.

bakedboarder34
03-22-2006, 07:26 PM
i would go ahead and check out the carbeurator, you might have nocked something out of whack when you installed the system, make sure that everything is tuned properly is my advice, you cant go wrong doing that.

ridered9hbs
03-23-2006, 06:24 PM
today i notice a problem today also, i am running really rich and i have oil leaking out of my exhaust. WTF did i do? it was running fine till i messed with the intake. I dont think i bumped anything but i guess its possible. im still not getting vacumme from 16 or 17. could i try plugging the EGR valve or something? that is where 17 goes.

A20A1
03-24-2006, 12:24 AM
16 and 17 open to the filtered air, they really don't have much suction, they let pressure out of the system when the valve they are connected to opens up.

you can use carb cleaner to find the vacuum leak... carb cleaner when sucked into a vacuum leak will cause the idle speed to shift the then go back to where it was before... trouble is your idle is so high that you may not be able to use the carb cleaner trick.

? why is #17 going to the EGR valve? It's not supposed to be that way. can you show a pic where you have #17 connecting to the EGR valve... it should be #16 (Small Vacuum line)
I'm worried that if you have a #17 going to the EGR, then it would mean #16 would be going where it shouldn't, that or someone used the wrong hose # in that spot. Anyways #16 to the EGR valve supplies vacuum to the EGR valve so it's important that it's connected to the valve and not somewhere else.

Also you might want to see if your throttle cable is getting stuck. You also said you are having trouble with oil... have you replaced the PCV valve?

ridered9hbs
03-27-2006, 05:38 PM
thanks for you help guys, I think i have found the problem. there was a burr of plastic stuck down in my carborator, i think it was holding it open. i fished it out and now it runs pretty good for now.

g2driver
04-06-2006, 02:51 PM
I have the same problem, accept there isn't anything in the carb. Only on cold idle, its at like 3000. Once the car wams up its fine. There might b a vaccume leak, but im pretty sure there isnt.

I previously had removed the air suction and EGR valve lines and plugged them, but I didnt have trouble untill now.

When I put my intake on I also did the manual secondary conversion, but Im pretty sure there is no throttle stick. I didnt remove the vaccum control for the secondary, might that be my problem?

The two things I reused were a "bleeder"? (the bronze things the vaccum lines connected to stock in the bottom of the air box) instead of directly hooking it up to the intake, and the "T" peice off the bottom of the stock air box, that runs to the hot air door, as my "T" piece.

Im gunna check for vaccum leaks 2moro, but im pretty sure there wasnt any. Also was the vaccum line # 16 a thick line straight from the "Black box"?

Thanks alot guys,
Matt

g2driver
04-06-2006, 02:56 PM
If # 16 and 17 go straight to the intake box, and they had a leak, that shudnt affect idle should it? Either way there getting air right? OH ya, i forgot I didnt hook up the temp sensor, there wasnt enough wire, and it didnt seem to do much either, I'll get some wire and make it longer 2nite if I have time.

Thanks
Matt