PDA

View Full Version : AC question about retrofit and evacuating...

offthahook
03-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Okay, my AC doesn't work. The guy I bought my car from told me that he opened the system and freon "may" have leaked out. Really? The technician says that my compressor clutch is trying to spin beacuase of some shim that is there. He said this isn't a big deal at all and I could leave it as is, but there is NO freon in the system. Therefore, they can't do a leak test because of no freon. He speculated the compressor is either bad or going bad soon (I believe it is original one from 84). Well, I happen to have a nice rebuilt compressor with clutch in the hatch! I got it on ebay for like $50. I ask him to make sure it is the right one since Honda used a couple different ones (like the 3g Accords). The compressors match, Nippondenso. I figure might as well git r done and retrofitted and generally fixed and updated. This whip is from Texas so the AC was probably used a lot. I had to order a hot water valve for my heater at the same time so nothing has been done as of yet. But the service guy was telling me he would need to put 2# freon in the system to check for a leak. He said we really don't know what, if anything, is leaking right now because of there being NO freon in the entire system. I'm thinking it should go like this:

Evacuate the system with that vacuum that sucks everything out for like 6 hours.

Install new receiver/dryer.

Install compressor I have.

Fill with 134.

Dye test.

Is this the protocol? I really don't want to pay for freon if I am getting a retrofit to 134. I was kinda confused, but the service dept. is cool with me and I highly doubt they are trying to get over. Hell, they let me bring my own compressor no prob. and were upfront about what they would be doing. The tech. is a platinum level Honda tech. who has worked for Honda for like 20+ years. He actually remembers these cars when they were new. Dude is a wiz. Now, the service advisor probably isn't a platinum level tech. if you feel me. Opinions? It's all good. Thanks.

HondaBoy
03-20-2006, 02:15 PM
well if your evactuating the entire system and installing new pieces you should be able to use the new oil and R134 gas in it. i wouldnt do the R12, its just too expensive when things break or leak and you have to be replacing it from time to time. i'm probably going to take the automotive a/c class next semester at school. i've been told its an easy class. but yeah, i also want to fix my a/c since i live in hot as hell texas. as for what you've put to be the steps to do R134, sounds right. shouldnt be much more than that.

bobafett
03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
PM flatblackdime , he has some experience with refrigerants, and may be able to offer some insight. :)

offthahook
03-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I'm not the type to just open the system and try to retrofit it. This need professional attention to get any POSSIBLE freon and do the retrofit right and tight. I do not want to even mess with freon anymore. Most places will do a retrofit if you get a new compressor. I should be good to go. Hopefully, I won't need to mess with thtat 2# freon dude was talking about. Hell, it could all leak out anyway. At least if 134 leaks out, it's cheaper and safer.

HondaBoy
03-21-2006, 01:42 PM
yeah, you need to do it correctly like you said. not just for the fact that any left over freon needs to be evactuated from the system and disposed of properly. but not doing so can cause many things to fail. mainly the compressor and other components. i had told my friend that doing a retrofit on his suburban needed to be done correctly. he didnt do it right, as he didnt get the system ready to use R134. when he first did it, the a/c would blow kinda cool, but not super cold like a suburban should. now everything is fubared and needs replacement i'm sure. it messed up a bunch of stuff. hopefully next semester i can take the a/c class and then help people out here.

offthahook
03-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Talked to the tech. When he said "freon", he was actually referring to the new 134 refrigerant (not the old R12). So, that's $20/lb. I guess so, but it sounded a little high. I hope I don't have any leaks.

If the system has been open for a few months, how long should it be on the vacuum pump to get the whole system completely clean? If I have a leak after all the new goodies are installed, will I have to get ANOTHER receiver/dryer since the system will have been opened a second time?

88Accord-DX
03-30-2006, 11:24 PM
The Tech. will put it on the recovery machine for 15 minutes to evacuate the system. Anytime the system is opened, your supposed to replace the receiver/drier. So yeah, you would need a new one.