PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Preformance Exhaust mod

Shadowkat
03-20-2006, 08:59 PM
On my way back to school today from Taco Bell, I had an interesting experience that I thought was worthy of sharing with you all.

So, as I was turning onto the street just before my school I let the engine unwind a little as I always do at that location; this time however, as I was just crossing 5000 rpm approaching 5500 the car became massively loud. Now, I knew that my exhaust was having trouble and I was planning on getting it fixed later this week (it's nearly rusted through in many spots, and it's just resting on the hanger under the car and not actually attatched in the middle of the car), plus, my friend has an exhaust cut-out valve so I recognized the sound of unmuffled engine noise right away. Figguring i had just finally punctured through the pipe in one of the rusted spots because of the exhaust pressure at high rpms i proceeded to drive the last 2 minutes to school. When I got out and looked under the car, the exhaust was split in two, and both halves were hanging down and dragging on the ground.

After school I went to a nearby friend's house and with their help, I temporarily fixed the exhaust using a coffee can and 2 muffler clamps. Now, the car is quite a bit softer than when it initially broke, but it how sounds like a sweet performance exhaust and it didn't cost me anything!

The best part of the whole experience was the reaction of the other people in my car at the time. One of my friends who was in the back seat at the time, was freaking out because he thought the engine was blowing up or something. The whole experience was quite funny, and I think i'm going to post pics of my temp fix job, you know, in case anyone wants to copy me for their performance exhaust.

P.S. - I know I am hardly the first person in the world that this has happened to, and I know using a coffee can is not a unique quick fix, but I thought it was a funny experience, so I wanted to share it.

Deadhead
03-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Hahahaha, awesome...

a coffee can may sound ok, but keep in mind it's probably going to hurt gas mileage a bit.

Think about the flow through that coffee can.... lol.

hey, another thing you can do is take aluminum pop cans and clamp them down. I had to do that with my old accord lol.

Here's what it looked like:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/Qman06/My%20Honda/P1010031.jpg

speedpenguin
03-21-2006, 11:10 AM
I drove around for something like 9 months with no muffler.
It's loud but you get used to it.
Cop finally caught me.
BTW, WTF?
I go away for a month and suddenly we have 1 and 2G sections.
Sweet!

HostileJava
03-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Give a whole no meaning to coffee can muffler, eh?

SQ is the SQUAD
03-21-2006, 04:43 PM
they will love that over at HMT

Shadowkat
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Hahahaha, awesome...
a coffee can may sound ok, but keep in mind it's probably going to hurt gas mileage a bit.

Word. I was at 160 miles on the tank and it was still half full, now i'm at like 210 and it's already down to a quarter tank. Too bad, i love good gas milage, but i'm not really in a hurry because it sounds fucking awesome, especially since the coffee can actually doesn't completly cover the gap!
By the way, props on the coke cans, very professionally done.

Shadowkat
03-21-2006, 05:39 PM
they will love that over at HMT

HMT? I'm sorry I don't follow. Actually, another funny story. When I was driving the car away from school today, a kid that I know there was driving next to me in his tuner civic with a fart can muffler, and he looks over with that "damn, what's he got in that thing?" look. It was awesome.

Deadhead
03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
HMT = Home made turbo.... website lol...

your such a ricer :P

SQ is the SQUAD
03-21-2006, 05:49 PM
www.homemadeturbo.com

speedpenguin
03-21-2006, 06:12 PM
it sounds fucking awesome, especially since the coffee can actually doesn't completly cover the gap!
If there's a gap, then it's going to sound like there's no muffler at all. Actually what with the extra vibration, it might actually sound worse.

Shadowkat
03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
If there's a gap, then it's going to sound like there's no muffler at all. Actually what with the extra vibration, it might actually sound worse.

Yeah, it sounds pretty loud, as if there was no muffler. Kinda like my friend's exhaust cut out valve on his gsr, except mine didn't cost a lot of money!

Yeah, i bet those homemade turbo guys would like this.

Funny thing is, I'm not a ricer at all, which is what makes this whole thing so damn funny. I'm driving around loud as hell and people keep looking at me strangely, like "why the hell does that beat ass piece of shit sound like a race car?" Although I do think that the more I have my exhaust broken like this, there more I will become a ricer(maybe the exhaust fumes are getting to me), sooner or later my car will have a giant wing, a ton of vinyl, and more type r stickers than you can count. Oh, and one of those fake blow off valve sound makers too, just for good measure.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
03-21-2006, 11:21 PM
DeadHead is the New MacGyver:slap:

halxi
03-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Word. I was at 160 miles on the tank and it was still half full, now i'm at like 210 and it's already down to a quarter tank. Too bad, i love good gas milage, but i'm not really in a hurry because it sounds fucking awesome, especially since the coffee can actually doesn't completly cover the gap!
By the way, props on the coke cans, very professionally done.

lol i got 210 out of half a tank, then deadhead and i went out runnin around and doin some pulls and such... i came home with 1/4 of a tank at 240 miles :( lol

i got about 12mpg with my open header when i had it, now THAT sucked... REALLY loud, and horrid gas mileage. I even pulled out in front of a cop and got on it once, didnt pull me over, i was like... woah, wtf?

But GL on getting it fixed, just stay away from fart cans if you go with an aftermarket exhaust system!

sindrixmf
03-22-2006, 05:45 AM
haha, I remembered how annoyed my girl looked when I drove her around with no exhaust.

I wasn't annoyed.
Mostly, I thought it was kind of entertaining.

speedpenguin
03-22-2006, 07:04 AM
I remember liking the sound as well. I remember my friends complaining when I got the exhaust replaced that they couldn't hear me pull up anymore. :)
I replaced it after three extensions on my emissions inspection to get it replaced because a cop finally pulled me over and yelled at me for "Polluting the environment." The cat was still on. Baltimore transit cops are retarded.

halxi
03-22-2006, 08:27 AM
haha, I remembered how annoyed my girl looked when I drove her around with no exhaust.

It's not that much quieter now =)

lol my girl now (who wasnt my girl when i had my open header, but i was workin on it) loved my car with the open header... but shes into big trucks (diesels, supercharged 454's, you know... that kinda stuff)

Cheeseburger
03-22-2006, 09:32 AM
DeadHead is the New MacGyver:slap:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mars
03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
OH i think ive done this mod.
I used to have an 83 maxima, and the muffler rusted through...
is that performance?
I gained like... what... 20, 30 hp?

:lol:

SQ is the SQUAD
03-22-2006, 08:05 PM
damn, i dident know they had a maxima in 83

Mars
03-22-2006, 08:14 PM
83/84

Shadowkat
03-22-2006, 08:19 PM
lol i got 210 out of half a tank, then deadhead and i went out runnin around and doin some pulls and such... i came home with 1/4 of a tank at 240 miles :( lol
i got about 12mpg with my open header when i had it, now THAT sucked... REALLY loud, and horrid gas mileage. I even pulled out in front of a cop and got on it once, didnt pull me over, i was like... woah, wtf?
But GL on getting it fixed, just stay away from fart cans if you go with an aftermarket exhaust system!

Well, I just finished off the tank and I ended up with about 21 mpg, not too bad i guess considering the window sticker for my car(originally auto) said 22mpg city. Problem is i drove at least half the time on the highway this tank. But it is definatly a step up from 12 mpg, that definatly rivals a hummer! And no worries about the fart can muffler, I'm going with a stock exhaust replacement, I don't really do the after market thing.

Also, this whole loud exhaust has me really pumped up sometimes about my car. I suddenly have the desire to accelerate hard just to hear the sound of my own exhaust. I raced my friend's MX-3 yesterday because the loud exhaust was energizing me. It's the first time I've ever actually street raced too(don't worry, we were only seeing who could get up to the speed limit, 55mph, the fastest, we weren't being stupid or unsafe for those anti-street racers out there) and the cool part is, i didn't lose as badly as i thought I would(not saying much)!

halxi
03-23-2006, 11:09 PM
my exhaust was cool for the first couple weeks... now im like

"wheres the volume button? can i turn this shit down?"

it grows on you lol