PDA

View Full Version : EFi conversion

GreenMachine
05-06-2002, 03:23 PM
My Question is regarding the wiring when converting from carb to efi.
I understand everything else, and don't think it will be that bad to convert. But the wiring harness is probably the hardest part.

- Do you have to have the complete wire harness as one piece ?

If anybody who is familiar with this could give my some tips, what maybe the easiest way would be. I know the whole dash will have to come off, but does the wire harness have a plug at each end and is it just plug and play, or does trhe wire harnes split off to power lights, etc.:wtf:

smufguy
05-09-2002, 12:58 PM
well ur best bet is to get all the wiring harness in one full piece, the cabin wire harness and the engine bay harness. U NEED THEM no matter what. the engine bay wire harness comes off from the engine bay as one whole unit, u dont need the positive cable from the battery to the starter. cabing wire harness is a bitch. need to take off your heating system, blower and your dash and the pedals and the metal thingie behind it to take off the wires from the engine bay to your ecu and other stuff. hold on lemme get u some pics that carotman posted in the old board. EFI CONVERSION TAKES A LONG TIME. dont get frustrated though it will be. just go on your pace and do it with a friend or two. good luck and take care.

smufguy
05-09-2002, 01:00 PM
this is the metal thing under your pedals. u gotta take it out to reach the wires

smufguy
05-09-2002, 01:02 PM
the wiring harness SHOULD BE in one piece, u can splice all that crap with the existing lx harness, but u will be a granpa before ur done

smufguy
05-09-2002, 01:03 PM
forgot abotu the pic

NOTE: these pics are not from my conversion, these are carotman's. talk to him about it too. he is very good in it cause he did it. also talk to itch he is doing one right now like me.

GreenMachine
05-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Thanx for the pix those will be very helpful !
Anybody else doing/done this conversion without owning a second car to steal the parts from ?

smufguy
05-10-2002, 07:30 AM
As far as i know, there is only one other person who is doing the conversion. The dude, the king, who has already did it is Carotman, the moderator. He knows it in and out, talk to him on AIM or email him in AOL, he would respond and will be happy to let you know anything you ask of him. U can go to his website and get more info on it, hold on lemme get you his webpage for his conversion. http://pages.infinit.net/omus/. there ya go. thats his webpage. Go to "How-To" and click on "PGM-Fi Conversion" and u will go on from then, he has good pics that will make you visualize it even more. Its easy to do it without Owning another car, but u can always own one for like around 300 or 400 bucks or even 200 bucks. U need a lot of parts for the conversion so do know its better to buy a whole car where u can rip the parts from, if not, u gotta have a cheap junkyard near you like i do and sneak some parts too. :) . Good luck and Thanks once again to Carotman for his help. before u start working do talk to carotman or me and keep us updated either with your pics or your post. Thanks man, good luck and god bless. have fun :wave:

carotman
05-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Well smufguy, you pretty much said it all :)

I see that you know pretty much everything about this conversion too.

Like you said, it's easier to work with the harness as a whole thing. It may sound hard to work with but beleive me, you need to take everything out when doing that, so just don'mess with the wire harness and take it as a whole.

The engine harness is really simple to work with too. (you can see it on the picture smufguy posted)

it's basicaly plys & play.

The rear wire harness doesn't need to be replaced. The EFI harness will plug right on to it

the best way to do it if with a parts car but it's not NEEDED... you can do without it.

if you have any questions, check the How-To section or just post them here ;)

Alot of people will answer you hehe

smufguy
05-10-2002, 09:12 PM
where do u think i got all the smarts of this from carotman? its all from you buddy. You are the main reason i am doing this mod, cause i know for sure, you know what u are talking about and i can do whatever without a blink of an eye. Thanks a lot man. and after may, i am gonna be hardcore on my conversion. :) gotta clean up that intake manifold pretty good before i put it on my baby. By the way, how much are the injector O rings? do i need to get new ones? thansk man.

carotman
05-25-2002, 10:49 AM
I dunno how much the O-rings are. I didn't replace them. You don't need to get new ones if the ones you have aren't leaking. I heard they are pricy... so keep your money where it belongs unless you HAVE to.

Make sure you clean the 2 valves on the intake manifold. One valve is on the front (with a white plug on it) and the other one is beside the Throttlebody and has 2 coolant hoses comming to it.

Take them apart and clean then with throttlebody cleaner. I had to do mines today because they were screwing my idle a bit (it's still not solved but it's better)

Sean
05-31-2002, 07:37 PM
i talked carrot man through his i do beleive mine was the first.
he he carrot
good job spread the knowledge.

GreenMachine
06-04-2002, 08:42 PM
Well my conversion is coming along, got the engine out yesterday, and my interior is stripped. Now its just a matter of finding all the parts I will need - a local wrecker said the'll give me the engine,cpu,wire harness and distributor for $750 can. So thats probably what I'll doooo... Do guys know if there is that much difference with the 88-89efi motor, besides the dual-stage intake manifold, is there a diff that will cause me a problem.

I read the stereo may be all fubared, no biggy, don't need stock wires for the system. Any help would be sweet !:stick:

carotman
06-05-2002, 07:56 AM
well, you don't need the full engine, just the intake and wires from the same years...

smufguy
06-05-2002, 08:59 AM
whats wrong with your stereo again?

GreenMachine
06-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Nothing is wrong with it now, I read in the How too's that if you get a 88-89 it has a different wiring or a different clip that will give you a problem with the stereo and you may need to run new wires to your speakers ...... Not to sure what its all about,
but just trying to find out any differences that I need to be aware of if I am going to put a 88-89 in my 87 :werd:

smufguy
06-06-2002, 02:47 PM
hey its a good time to get brand new spreakers, amp and a cd player (if u dont have em) makes a nice neat wiring.

GreenMachine
06-06-2002, 07:51 PM
Yup got a sytem, and I will be re-wiring and adding a set of JBL speakers in the back. I've got 2 pheonix gold max 8" but don't have a powerful enough amp - but it does the trick
Ya definetly a good time to fix all those IN-RUSH wiring jobs:smokin:

smufguy
06-06-2002, 08:45 PM
hehehe, i am gonna get those small rect. tubes for house wiring and see if i can run it along my sidestep. or they have holes down the side of our doors, we can run em thru those things too:rolleyes:

carotman
06-07-2002, 07:54 AM
you need to run wires only if you use an 89 SE-i harness

smufguy
06-07-2002, 10:45 AM
its really interesting to know how honda at that time had sterring wheel mounted channel/volume controls. And 4 wheel disk brakes. Its something really interesting. :)

GreenMachine
06-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Well it looks like I'll be putting a 89 engine in my 87HB, I got the harness and air box, cpu, fuel evaporator shit.
I got a auto Harness, will this be a problem - SAY NO !
Also what does the atmospheric pressure sensor look like. It's not the little box below the ash tray with a plug going to it is it ?
Could somebody please post a pic this would be VERY helpful THANX :rant:

smufguy
06-11-2002, 08:44 PM
the atmospheric pressure sensor is the one below your blower unit. and the one below the center console is your beeper. and the pic is from carotman's website.

GreenMachine
06-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Thanx, I've seen that pic before but can't really see anything
Is it where the bolt is or the plug ?
In regards to the beeper is it behind or above and about how big is it, and how many plugs go into it

Guess I grabbed the wrong part from the wrecker, I thought that thing was the buzzer but figured maybe it was diff on efi ?

Any ways got my dash out so it should be right there in the open any description on what it looks like would be helpful :bh:

smufguy
06-12-2002, 07:07 AM
the one near the floor on the center console (the bottom most one) is the beeper. looks like a grey rectangular box with a small circular hole in.

the atmospheric pressure sensor is the black thing with a screw on it (just one screw) and its the thing where the White wire plugs into on the pic. U need that to get the efi working properly. I guess the haynes manual says that its located on the trunk, but the car in that haynes manual looks like a 2g (no pop up lights).

smufguy
06-12-2002, 07:23 AM
that is where the beeper is

carotman
06-12-2002, 12:44 PM
I didn't think that the pictures I took would be so useful.

Damn, I DID rip my car apart.....

smufguy
06-12-2002, 12:57 PM
yeah carotman, ur a god. and your pics are precise and thats why they come in handy. and u ripped yoru car apart and u did put it back. but mine is still ripped. :rolleyes:

GreenMachine
06-12-2002, 02:06 PM
Same ! Mine looks just like that, hopefully i'll be able to get it all together and working .... Lol :stick:

smufguy
06-12-2002, 05:24 PM
hey carotman, u did not have AC on your car before did u? seems like u did not, but now he has it. lucky boy:p

if the compressor spins freely, does it mean the compressor is worth buying and is in good working condition?

GreenMachine
06-12-2002, 08:24 PM
Somebody please..please Help ! Do you know if the auto wiring harness will work fine for my standard. I figured it should it will only have a couple extra clips for some of the auto stuff but it all looks the same :confused:

smufguy
06-13-2002, 10:51 AM
does standard mean 5speed? i dont think why not. Well the 5speed wiring wont work for the auto cause the auto has the lights for which gear u are in (d4, d3, 2, 1). it should not matter bro. it should not give u a problem though.

Hey carot man. when i went to the junk and took off the wiring, under the passenger seat. there were two things that i did not see on my Lx. one was a black rectangular box and the other was 2 relay type thing that ran to the back of the car and was clipped near the rear passenger speaker. what does that do? i gotta see if i have the clip on my lx. :confused: :wtf: heheh.

GreenMachine
06-14-2002, 10:18 PM
Well i'm just startin to paint my engine bay, got it all masked off and i'm painted it metalic green.
My progress has been kinda slow lately - been busy taken care of my outdoor garden...mmmya
I keep thinking of other things to do while its all ripped apart, i've got to slow down and getit runin first dammit... :321:

smufguy
06-15-2002, 09:01 PM
heheh, i like the 3-2-1 smilie guy u have. yeah, well i got my progress slowed down a bit. got the altenator and the engine bay wire harness for my car. just need to get the gas tank and the return fuel line to get it fixed before i can like put everything back on. on tuesday me and my friend are gonan power wash my engine bay after a good load of degreaser. and paint the tranny and lower half of the block with cast aluminum paint.

GreenMachine
06-19-2002, 02:00 PM
Sweet !! that's what I'm gonna do too.. take my tranny off my old engine, paint it and possibly get my flywheel machined down.

How are you going to run your fuel return line ?
are you going to just use rubber fuel line and run it along the passenger inside where the metal ones are ? Also are you changing your tank right away, I was thinking I've leaving mine for now and changing it later after I got some spare dough.
:wave:

smufguy
06-19-2002, 07:19 PM
i am gonna get a lxi coupe gas tank. no sedans bro, none. i am gonna get the metal fuel line but probably thinking of cutting it and putting a rubber hose to join em, but seems like a bad deal. the problem is, its a feed line we are running around. The rubber hoses are not good enough to hold it i guess. and i dont wanna mess with it. i got my lx tank out today. and damn that thing had soo much gas in it. i am still wondering if i gotta get a high pressure flexi fuel line or wait till i get hold of a sedan or ask guys around here for a line in a decent price. oh by the way, watchout when u release the gas tank. just have a huraulic jack under the tank, have the car on the stand. unbolt tank, lower the tank slowly and remember to release all the hoses that connect to it. u dont wanna bend the existing fuel lines, case u need em.

GreenMachine
06-19-2002, 08:08 PM
So it is the fuel feed line we need? what do you meen by no sedans.
ya I guess the rubber is not strong enough for feed line.

Carrot man what did you use for a line ? and did you just run it along the other ones on the pass side inside the car?

smufguy
06-19-2002, 09:05 PM
sedans usually have a longer fuel feed line right? am i right on this? and is the fuel feed line on the pass side? i thought it was running with the other two on the driver side. gotta check it out tomorrow in the junk yard. gotta take off another set of seats, carpet. dash...... gosh this nightmare wont end....... still continues..... gosh i need my friend to help me out on this.

GreenMachine
06-19-2002, 09:35 PM
I hear YA !
Thank god for those friends ....... that think they know what there doing:lol Two heads are definetly better than 1
Gonna get my harness in this weekend and paint my Dash black - Buy a new alarm, not sure what kind yet !(clifford or alpine) OR?

yhea new toys..lol
Also gonna go get some of my other parts I'll need - fuel filter(the metal engine bay one) and maybe some other sshhhiiiitttt....
sometimes I look at the car like :omg:

slowly but shirley :bh:

smufguy
06-20-2002, 06:41 AM
i thought i had to replace my alarm, but the lucky thing is, the guys who did it just tapped into the fuse box so and ignition wire from the steering, my question is, is it expensive to get a new alarm? i mean, if it like has keyless entry and stuff i want it. LIke my present one, u press it and the alarm sets and all the doors lock. and u press again, the alarm releases and all the doors open. i want those kinda alarm. the alarm on my sis car does not close or open the door locks. :werd:

GreenMachine
06-20-2002, 02:54 PM
yhea I accidentally fried my alarm by hooking the batt. up backward (well a friend that was helping) and the alarm was bye-bye.
But i had hooked up doorlocks - definetly worth the extra work.

Ya that would be cool to check out each others progress:pimp:
today is my friday so its weekend time - time to for beer,barbeques and working on the car and maybe a little :bh:

and definetly the LAKE

carotman
06-21-2002, 02:39 AM
The fuel feed line is the same for all models/years, At least it's the same part number on hondaautomotiveparts...

The blackbox is the power locks and the relays are the sunroof relays :)

smufguy
06-21-2002, 08:01 PM
no, the grey box is the power locks and the two relays are the sunroof. but i have a 3rd one on the harness i bought. the one from paul's website says that its either heated seat controls or headlight washer controls. :werd:

GreenMachine
06-23-2002, 09:16 PM
Well I got my harness all in ! and I ONLY have 4 problems :
1) no rear washer fluid control
2)no rear wiper control
3)no brake fluid warning light
4)no backup lights (I'm guessing don't know yet)

So I'll have to try and think of somthin to rig up ... I don't really care about the wiper shit i''l prob just shave it. But the other 2 I'll have to do some shadytree mechanic rigging :lol

carotman
06-24-2002, 01:19 PM
no brake fluid connectors?????

GreenMachine
06-24-2002, 02:29 PM
Yhea there is no plug for the brake fluid ? not to sure i'll have to go back to the wrecker and see how other 89 are wired to the brake fluid master. It doesn't look like anything is missing from the harness.
Not to sure ! but damn I hope this auto harness works - with this nuetral safety switch, does anyone know how this will spoof the cpu - will the cpu work properly thinking that it is in neutral ?

Does anybody that has used this, know how that works or of any problems..thanx :eek:

GreenMachine
06-26-2002, 04:48 PM
Well i figured out the brake clip problem now I've encountered another - the heater assembly plugs in different on th 89 I guess cause there is no clip for it so I'll have to go to the wrecker on fri and prob. pick up on of those out of an 89

Slowly workin out the differences with the 89 to 87 harness !:rolleyes:

GreenMachine
07-14-2002, 09:09 PM
Well I've finished everything on the inside and have it put back together. This weekend I get the engine and fuel tank. Then put those in - I expect to have it done by Sunday. "Hopefully"

Then I'm off to the exhaust shop then to get an alignment.
I hope everything runs smoothly cause I plan on goin on a road trip Aug 9-16. I can't wait to have my 3rd gen back it's been like 4 months but it feels like a year. Been driven this 87 colt POS- hey but its turbo power. lol. after my cars runnin I'll let my girlfriend try to learn stick on it, then its down to the river to see how much air I can get with it. Its pushin to much blue I think to try and pawn it off, Maybe if I do an Oil Change with just that No smoke shit it won't smoke .:lol :wave:
I'm borrowin a digi camera to put some pics up asap !

Thanx for all the help !:super:

carotman
07-15-2002, 07:41 AM
Hey that's cool, I hope everything runs as planned :)

GreenMachine
07-21-2002, 09:35 PM
Well I got the engine in - everything went smoothly, haven't started it yet still got to put bumper on and battery.
The only problem I ran into the for though 87-89 conversion was the heater plug under the dash. Everything else worked smoooothly. Well haven't started it yet so can't really say that yet ! lol..

smufguy
07-22-2002, 03:55 AM
dang man. u are done. :( i have to put stuff together real fast. and oh yeah greenmachine, how much did u pay for the header gasket and the intake manifold gasket?

GreenMachine
07-22-2002, 06:06 PM
I didn't need to replace those gaskets because i replaced the whole engine. It had 169,000 km on it, changed the oil pan gasket and the timing belt was just done 29,000 k ago. Tommorow I start it - had to custom make a liitle holder for my msd coil today. Dammm I can't wait. My DAD said he'll give me $250 for my exhaust - couldn't believe it ! I guess he can't believe I did all this shit and wants to help, can't say no to cash. lol

GreenMachine
07-22-2002, 08:45 PM
Wonder when I became DX user .........yaaaaaah!!!!

smufguy
07-22-2002, 11:10 PM
hahaaha the time u were born :P

GreenMachine
07-24-2002, 02:48 PM
Well couple more problems
- The air recycle on the blower motor won't stop turning off and on and off and on......WTF - all well unplug it for now !
- Also for some reason there is no power going to the fuel pump ?

don't know why !
got my ractive intake on today looks good -
just need to work out a few bugs and get it runnin ..lol

smufguy
07-24-2002, 09:14 PM
dude greenmachine, how did u get the fuel filter in man? did u drill any holes? check for loose connections on the blower motor and check if it has a relay or something. damn things gives all the crap when we are about to be done.

GreenMachine
07-25-2002, 08:53 PM
Well the blower I don't care about for now - figure tha sh** out later. But this pump is really pissin me off ! There is power at the fuel pump fuse on the box under the dash - wondering if maybe there is some different relay on the dash fuse box ? I'm stumped what about cpu is there something that needs to be reset on it. damnnnnn!

smufguy
07-26-2002, 11:21 AM
there should be relays on the back of the dash fuse box. on the carbs, there is a relay for the fuel pump behind it. i am not sure about the efi. i kinda guessing there is one. check for it.

smufguy
07-26-2002, 11:21 AM
also check the connections at the fuel pump

GreenMachine
07-28-2002, 02:15 PM
all connections are good there is power at the fuse box but , carrotman advised me that I should have put a main relay in, and I don't believe I did, cause I don't remember anything about it so I probably didn't. I have a few extra clips by the fuse box, just figuredit was for cruise, air, power options. So that would be why the pumps not getting any power, now I just have to find one, but I don't know what I'm lookin for ?
I'm all done except for this got my intake on, engine is all clean, this is eaten me up I just want to drive it!!!!!!!!! lol

smufguy
07-28-2002, 04:24 PM
oh yeah, that too. when i took the wire harness out. i pulled it out with all the crap snapped to it so i dont have to fumble thru which clips and sensors go into whatnot.

and how did u get the fuel filter? where did u bolt it on to?

smufguy
07-28-2002, 04:27 PM
go to carotman's website http://pages.infinit.net/omus/ and go to the How to section and click on the efi conversion link and go to the parts needed section and click on main relay. its situated on the driver side right below the pwr antenna motor on the side wall and not on the firewall. Its bolted to it. U wont miss it cause it says main relay right on it and its usually dark brown.

GreenMachine
07-28-2002, 10:17 PM
I can't believe I missed that............:mad:
For the fuel filter just used the 2 bolt holes that we have thats good enough its not goin anywhere, and ya drill the hole after ya line it up for the fuel line. Gonna go find one of those fuses tommorow - well try an find one at the wrecker, all the cars around here are carbed at the wrecker. gotta drive for 1/2 hour to get to decent one. thanx - hopefully I can start it tomor

smufguy
07-29-2002, 02:11 PM
i got hold of a hatchback today. probably a 86-87 and its efi. I wanna know if the fuel feed line would be the same length as the sedans from 89. either way. i am taking it out tomorrow.

GreenMachine
07-29-2002, 03:46 PM
I still can't believe that there is HB that came with efi, Never seen one yet. They must be pretty rare.
Today I got that relay - haven't tried it yet though, almost was going to call in sick for work to try it out. lol
I'm gonna try it tonight on my lunch break.
I wonder if the HB and sedan are the ame length ? :rolleyes:

GreenMachine
07-29-2002, 10:16 PM
Damnn tried that main relay still no power to the pump :wtf:

Tommorow my budy has a print out for me for all the elictrical relating to the pump so, hopefully I can pinpoint it !
Unless this main relay is no good :huh:

smufguy
07-30-2002, 03:56 AM
well check the power in the main relay following instructions from Aedoduck's website. http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/index.html. Talk to coaster and he has a dirty lil program for that. i am pretty sure its either a relay or something that wont click in. hope its not a miswiring or stuff.

smufguy
07-30-2002, 04:02 AM
yeah the wheelbases are the same 2600 (102.4) for all 3g. its pretty simple concept huh? all 3g have same dimenions on chassy except in some places.

GreenMachine
07-31-2002, 02:23 PM
OHHHH !! I was so happy when that feul pump turned ON !

I think the main relay is Toast - I bypassed it on the plug and I got the pump to turn on, So tommorow I go to th wrecker again and get another main relay - if that works all I have to do is find a down pipe, and I'm set to go.
This weekend I'm going into vancouver to check the wreckers out there - no one out here has one ! there $400 bucks new :wtf:

How's you project comin smuf ?

smufguy
07-31-2002, 09:59 PM
hey man, u live in canada. shit bro, there is a 86 hatback lxi relay here in my junkyard if u were near and needed it most, i can get it and send it to you. and i finally got my fuel line out of that same hatchback. it took just almost al hour to take that shit out. damn line wont budge. all i gotta do tomorrow is put it back in, put all the ac, heater and blower in, rewire them get a new intake gasket and i am all set in a day putting things back in. damn, i am gonna finish my car in like 3 days. i love it

GreenMachine
07-31-2002, 10:43 PM
Thanx for the offer but I should be able to find one - if I'm going into the city to find a down pipe I may just get the relay out there too !

GreenMachine
08-04-2002, 01:57 PM
Well at looks like th main relay is fine - just that 2 of the wires, one is constant power and the other is ign power or NOT getting power. Not sure why, I've got everything pluged in, all well I'm going to check this alldata program at by buddys work and see if I can't track those t wires down. If all else fails i'll just rig it up .
I be able to figure it out it is just going to take longer then I wanted. all well shit happens I guess ! :rolleyes:

smufguy
08-04-2002, 05:32 PM
i am sorry for ya bro. Check the ignition fuse in the engine bay. the fuse box has a relay i suppose. its also called as a main fuse i guess. check if all the fuse is fine. the car does not crank at all? or nothing wont happen past II on the inginiton hole right before on?

GreenMachine
08-04-2002, 09:50 PM
no it cranks - its getting spark, just the f'nn pump won't turn on because for some fu**ed up reason those 2 wires are not getting power when there suppsoed to be !
Also need to get a new sensor for the brake pedal for the brake lights, this plug has 4 connectors my sensor only has 2 connecter
I'm guessing cause a 4 door has like 4 sets of light, 2 on the trunk 2 on either side. if shit can happen .... well of course it does

smufguy
08-05-2002, 07:35 AM
i can get that brake sensor for u or look around the junk yard and get it from a sedan. carotman did a good job in his website about the efi conversion when he said to get the parts from the same car as ours with the year and type. hope everythign works for you bro. i got 2 sedans in the junkyard i go to. hope it helps u out.

GreenMachine
09-18-2002, 03:44 PM
yah !!!! It starts. It turns out one of the wires that run to the main relay were toast from the harness i got from the wrecker.
Made my own wire and she STARTS, I'm so pumped. This weekend finesh up a couple little things like putting my fuse box back up under the dash.
Damn it's loud with down pipe ! lol

smufguy
09-18-2002, 06:13 PM
sweet bro. after over a month, this thread is alive.
hahaha, i am still waiting for the damn tank bro and a lot of custom shit is going on. i am still ordering parts and which year did the 2nd gen prelude arms come off? how much did u pay for both of em? do u need just the upper arms or the whole front set up including the lower arms too?

GreenMachine
09-18-2002, 09:01 PM
87 lude and they were about 40-50$ can. All ya need is just the upper arms, use your bolt that goes thru the arm, cause the lude is shorter. That's it you'll also need like 4-5 washers a side to make up for the skinnier lude arms.
let me know what custom stuf yer up to, i'm interested

AZmike
09-18-2002, 10:01 PM
Any 2nd generation Prelude (83-87) upper arms will work. I ended up using 3 1/8" washers for each side to get the length right. I paid $30 USD for the pair, so about $50 canadian I guess.

smufguy
09-19-2002, 10:23 AM
hey green machine, like my signature says, i am doing a hood open indicator by using the seat belt warning lights on the coupes above the rear view mirror. i am also trying to fit a hydraulic hood support instead of the regular ones we have. the hood support is from a 90 maxima cause they are the best hydraulics ever. honda's are shit man. Looked at a 93 legend, the support is fucked up and its skinny too. the maxima hood is decently heavy ( felt it after i lifted it once i toook off the hydraulic from it) and its heavier than a 3g hood. so my hood is gonna hold up with the hydraulic. i also hooking up steering wheel mounted fog light switch and i just gotta figure out how to make the wires not cut or bend or even fray with the wheel turning a million times. An sei steering wheel should be the best one, but shit i forgot to rip it out from the junk yard, but its alright.
I am also hooking up an LED rear brake light (inside) and removing the stock one out. This LED is 30 bucks if anyone wants to buy it from me (got 3 spare ones) and it gets hooked to the stock clip. I got the clip from the junkyard.

i need the gen2 lude arms is because i am lowering the car about 2.25" or even 2.5". and to fix the camber ppl said that i can use 2gen ludde arms. But what about the rear? do i get a camber kit or is there anything like the lude arms i can swap into the rear? thanks guys.

GreenMachine
09-19-2002, 04:10 PM
I would just leave the back, ya prob won't have an issue with camber, bur if ya do use longer bolts and washers to space the rear upper control arm out a little.

that hydr. hood idea sounds cool ....mmmm....:D

smufguy
09-19-2002, 06:03 PM
yeah, but the problem is, i don tknow where to put that shit. I got space around the cam, cause i am taking out the cruise, i have already did :flip: probably get it welded i guess.

GreenMachine
09-22-2002, 03:03 PM
Wow it got's some power now. Definetly happy !
Not insured yet prob this weekend. Had to take a caliper off a while back, now the brake system needs to be bled in a bad way, but the nipple on the drivers side is rusted in so grab some new calipers tommorow and bleed it, and I'm on my way. Took her for a burn though with 30 % brakes and my e-brake. lol

smufguy
09-22-2002, 05:21 PM
damn bro, i envy you soo bad. My project is like stuck right now. The dude who is gonna give me the tank wont reply cause he is going to court and stuff and the body to be welded is yet to be chopped off. but once i get that, i hope everything goes without a glitch. I would be fucking pissed off it nothing wont worrk. grrrrrrrr. hopefully the guy who i know will get my hooked up with bigger brakes and calipers. Hopefully.

GreenMachine
09-22-2002, 09:13 PM
I'd say make that tank work to get it runnin that's what i'm usin, the pump will fit with a little pursuasion. Just if that's the only thing holding ya back then fuck it, do it later.
Good luck though dude !

smufguy
09-23-2002, 12:21 PM
its not the only thing holding me back. the banjo connector on the top of the fuel pump, i dont have it. the dude did not send it with the pump. well, there was just a lil misundersatnding, but i hope to get my front end tomorrow and call my friend up and start getting a date to weld it.

GreenMachine
09-23-2002, 02:23 PM
Well goo good luck with that welding. Exactly what are getting welde, are you cutting of a bit of the front end and getting it welded on ?
Got my caliper on today, only paid 10$ for it. used of course. Then bleed the system and i'm road worthy.
then I got try and wire up the rest of my alarm. that should be fun !

GreenMachine
09-23-2002, 02:24 PM
wel goo good luck ... ???????:bh:

smufguy
09-23-2002, 04:02 PM
yeah, i need that a lot. i wanna just bang my head on the wall >>>:help:

GreenMachine
09-23-2002, 08:27 PM
All in time....sometimes it just take way freakin longer than expected, but just think about the finished product :D

smufguy
09-24-2002, 08:05 AM
hell ya, and there is gonna be a lot more custom done to this car. i am also planning on ditching the flip up lights for projector lights from an infinity j30 and have just the eyelids (the light cover) flip up and down, but the lights staying in just one single place. That would be an awsome mod though, but first, i need to get my hands on that one. shit i gotta go to the junk yard now. fuck!!!!

GreenMachine
09-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Well I insured it Today ! New issue's to deal with
Well I don't trust my engine temp gauge now that i've removed the needle, Also replaced the fan thermostat cause it wasn't kikckin on. thats alll workin now but still don't rust the temp gauge - i'm think i'm install a new temp gauge this weekend(autometer)
Also I've bled the brakes and I barely have any brake, I may need a new master cylinder :rant:
All well it only 45$ for a rebuild with 1 yr warr.

Changed my cap/rotor, it still had the original TEK. It think it was the original.....$40 cost price for it , holy shit .

Also got no back up lights ....... Slowy workin the bugs out :;)

smufguy
09-26-2002, 02:59 PM
my backup lights are fucked too, i need to wire em up to operate with a remote switch cause i got an auto engine harness. BULL CRAP!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrr. i cleaned my dist, just gotta put it on the engine, probebly i am out of phase, but we will see once my car starts knocking. Need to get a compression gauge too, hopefully my internals are in good shape, need to get a new engine. hahahahaha, that can be done.

GreenMachine
09-26-2002, 10:50 PM
We my as well call this our Thread ....lol
no one has a comment .
Wow sure notice big torque gain.. we have this entrance on to an overpass, where you start right at the bottom to merge in and over. It just PULLS up now, I am gonna be nice on the engine for the first 500km, just cause its been sittin for so long. after the 500 i'm gonna try out fully synthetic, the take her to 6200 and se what she can really do.

One thing that is Really trippy now is that when my hood is open my hatch light comes on detecting its open, it still detects the hatch though as well.... Its so fucked I can't stop laughing
There isn't even a stock hood sensor ...WTF !

smufguy
09-27-2002, 07:38 AM
::in Britis accent:: You lucky bastard. :smokin:

smufguy
10-09-2002, 08:14 PM
got my damn tank in, now jus one more coolent line and i am done. fill up the coolent and baby time to start er up.

GreenMachine
10-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Sweet - How much did ya pay for the tank ?
I think i'l have to do that, I noticed at about 1/4 tank it sputtered in a corner so now I know but hmmmm... think i'll have to do that eventually. Not getting the best milage right now ! It cost me $28 bucks at 89oct for 350km. I'll have to figure out my exact mileage. Also gonna take it in and check to see if she is runnin a little rich.
Still tripped how my hatch light indicator comes on when the hood is open ?

well sounds like your close - what did ya end up using for the feed line ?

smufguy
10-10-2002, 10:18 AM
i used a 87 hatcback stock feedline and got it in. so u know, now flex tubes and stuff. got it for 5 bucks from the wrecker,

Anchovies is gonna find out the coolent lines and where they go so i will be set. but the problem is, i got exams next week and even after that, my front end needs to be repaired. HOpe she runs. as of right now, i aint gonna put back the interior. let her run good, then its time for the interior, i am also plannin on moving the battery to the rear. so u know, its a pain too. Just to clearn up the space in the front. I got shocks and new wires. I need to get some dropping coils and some prelude arms. then get some wheels and rubber and baby i am just done. hehehe, well i gotta go talk to inline racing options. Keep u posted on OUR thread greenmachince.

P:s == how much did u pay for the prelude arms and where did u get em?

anchovies
10-10-2002, 12:14 PM
yo smuf,
prelude arms are about $30-$40 from the wreckers
If you really can't find one, I'm heading to the junk yard soon. p/m me.

smufguy
10-11-2002, 04:55 AM
i am going to the junk too. i dont need them as of yet, but i will get em from you pretty soon if i needed them. Last night the guy from inline racing options told me he can hook me up with a brand new one for really cheap (he is actually a friend of mine) so i am more leaning on him. He did not give me the price. but oh wel, we will see how it goes.

GreenMachine
10-15-2002, 10:43 PM
There is nothing to them, no point in buying new ones. Just sand and paint ones from the wrecker and of course you'll prob need new ball joints for them.
Also put a little grease on the rubber bushing things and then put the little metal caps over, thats about the only thing that needs to be done to them. I paid $40 for the arms at the wrecker,
can't remeber how much for the bushing..

come on smuf one more post ..... lol

smufguy
10-16-2002, 05:56 PM
hahhaha, we rule this post man. We rule it together. ITS OURS. mmmmmwwwwwwaaaaaaahahahhahahaha. Well anywayz, i got exams this week and next week. so i cant really go and pull em out. How actually do the control arm gets hooked on the knuckle? i wanna know how it is, got a pic?

anchovies
10-16-2002, 08:21 PM
With the ball joint.
POSCarb used to have the how-to on his site, but I don't think it's working anymore.

GreenMachine
10-16-2002, 09:35 PM
The ball joint has about a 3-4 inch metal lip coming off it, with 2 holes in it for the bolts to attach to the holes on the arm.
hope that helps dude !

smufguy
10-17-2002, 05:53 PM
got pics buddies?

GreenMachine
10-17-2002, 07:03 PM
No, or else I would have pics of my car up, wish i did :( :rant:

anchovies
10-17-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
got pics buddies?
Go to the auto store and ask for one. They most probably have it in stock. There you go live pic :smokin:

smufguy
10-18-2002, 05:57 PM
i aint talking about the pics of the A-arm. I am talking about the lude arms swapped in the 3g. that pic :)

smufguy
10-27-2002, 11:29 AM
i am done with my conversion man. Finally happy, the car cranks, but the fuel pump does not come on. IS this the same shit as urs greenman? I hope its not the main relay.

GreenMachine
10-27-2002, 03:00 PM
Check to see if your gettin spark ! If your not then it is the exact same prob I had. Change out the main relay with one from a wrecker, if that does'nt do it, Then I'll explain to ya what I did to solve this. Good luck man

carotman
10-27-2002, 06:19 PM
if the pump isn't getting any current, check the main relay power.

smufguy
10-27-2002, 06:56 PM
ahhhh fuzzle, i am gonna get another main relay from the junk. Any 3g relay would work right? as in 86-87 one?

GreenMachine
10-27-2002, 10:13 PM
Any 86-89 main relay are the same, I checked they all have the same part # on them

smufguy
10-28-2002, 02:33 PM
super, got 3 efi 3gs there. hahaha, gonna rip all off them of their main relay. hahaha, hahahah, hahahahah. okay i'll stop freaking ppl out.

GreenMachine
10-29-2002, 05:08 PM
So how's it comin dude !

GreenMachine
10-29-2002, 05:19 PM
Hve you wired up your back up lights yet ? I was thinkin of attempting that pretty soon here. I got my tranny out and have got my centerforce clutch, also getting new axle seals (got a small leak) . My clutch I took out had dropped spring and it was grinded around in there . lol .
So puttin it together this weekend just have to get my flywheel machined first.
layter

smufguy
10-29-2002, 07:09 PM
I pulled out 2 main Relays today. GOtta try and see if they work on my car now. Laters. Not yet man. The reverse lights come on everytime i have my key in the ignition. its pissing me off like crazy now. Gotta find the wire to the back up lights and put a damn switch on it.

GreenMachine
10-29-2002, 08:44 PM
You used the Auto harness right ? hmm.. mine doesn't even come on at all. Wierd , hehe. Well there is 2 wires off the tranny, I wonder if one is for power and the other is the siganl when its in reverse ?

smufguy
10-30-2002, 06:53 AM
I guess so, I dont know how to hook them up to my car. But u know what, I aint gonna run a seperate wire from the tranny switch to the lights, but just put a switch across the reverse lights so that i can just turn it on and off. I mean, it would be nice to run the wire from the switch (tranhny) to the reverse lights, but its just a pain.

GreenMachine
10-31-2002, 07:34 PM
Just ordered my two main axle seals for the tranny and throwout bearing, Got my clutch and so I got that job ahead of me for SAT.
Also got to figure out why I got no Heat ? Its gettin cold so got to get that damn heat workin ! lol

Damn bugs to work out still !

smufguy
10-31-2002, 08:32 PM
did u hook the cable from the heater core in the right way? The heater control cable should go to the bottom most hook on the heater/blower core. the cold vent bwt the vents in the center console goes on the top one on the heater/blower core. Also, dod u have a cable that goes from the engine bay to the heater/core thru the firewall?

My Fuel pump actually turned on and sprayed fuel everywhere. but my car wont start up. it boggs, but wont start. I guess its the ignition. If i dont have my distributor the right way, how would the car function when i try to crank it? I got 2 extra main relays and i am gonna relocate the main relay

GreenMachine
10-31-2002, 11:28 PM
Did ya check the spark, pull a plug out at night at get a friend to turn it over. That's just the easiest way I found. So ya got fuel but no igniting of the fuel. Ya sound like spark fo shure - anyhow let me know what ya find !

smufguy
11-01-2002, 09:19 AM
thats what i did, i pulled my #3 plug out and had it on the valve cover near the exposed studs (they were stripped of paint). i could find it ticking and it was like 7 pm and here in nj it gets pretty dark around 5 now. I even switched the ignition coil and the radio condensor, but still no work. I am guessing my distributor went out of phase so no spark (i dount it wont even spark if the dist is out of phase) anywayz, i am going to check it now and see what happens and honest to god that relay is going somehwere i can remove and shit.

either way, I opened one of the non-working relay and all the solder seems to be in good shape. So whats the bad deal here? Whats making these main relays not work??? Is something internal? cause all the solder seems fine. Anywayz, will keep u posted my friend :D

smufguy
11-01-2002, 11:18 AM
IT STARTED FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAN. I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING HAPPY.

it was the injector resistor box conector that was not connected. I was looking at what the fuck was wrong, so i went thru the engine bay connectors and bingo, clipped it in and it just fired right away Even the idle was awsome. but the throttle is kinda sticky though. I gotta lube and grease the linkable tohave it go smooth. Gotta block the air suction hose hole too.

GreenMachine
11-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Sweet man, I bet you fuckin happy now ....
Are ya putin an open air on it ? and what are ya doin with your exhaust ?

My flywheel does not want to come off :pissed:
not sure what i'm gonna do just yet !

smufguy
11-03-2002, 06:47 PM
well as of right now, i put the old exhaust back on (just the rear end) so that it wont smoke up near my gas tank. I am gonna go with full exhaust with 2.25" piping and high flo cat, dynomax, and headers (either DC or Pacesetter). My friend i know said he could look around for a DC for me.

my thermostat is stuck closed man. Got a code #6 last afternoon and i was pissed. The car overheats though the temp gauge on the gauge cluster on the dash says my car is warmed up. the fan never comes on so i guess its just fucked as of now. i gotta rip the thermostat from the junk and see how ti goes.

GreenMachine
11-03-2002, 08:56 PM
New thermostat was really cheap i believe like less than $10, just so ya know. It's funny how we both have had similiar issues gettin it goin !

smufguy
11-04-2002, 11:45 AM
hahaha its because my car sat for like hella long time. even the cleaned parts are getting corroded or rusted. I gotta move the car and get it NOT rust. U mean the thermostat as in like the whole thermostat housing without the sensors or just the thermostat as in the one with the sping and is inside the housing?

carotman
11-04-2002, 12:03 PM
just the thermostat inside.

I bet you could use your carbed thermostat.

smufguy
11-04-2002, 06:38 PM
then tomorrow, its thermostat rebuild day baby. Hahahaha,

GreenMachine
11-04-2002, 09:50 PM
:)

smufguy
11-05-2002, 02:14 PM
got it fixed. now the lower hose is cold. The fan never turns on. dammit.

GreenMachine
11-05-2002, 04:05 PM
I had the same thing ...lol
Now you gotta swap out the lower fan temp switch and the bottom of the rad. lol .... its just funny how we have had the same issues , WTF

smufguy
11-05-2002, 07:23 PM
no kidding. dammit. i am swapping it from my old radiator.

GreenMachine
11-19-2002, 04:25 PM
So How's it coming dude !
Got my centerforce clutch in, it was a bitch cause it was pouring rain. Also got my heat workin now, still got a few more things to work out, like rear defrost, back up lights and alarm.
Gettin my valves adjusted and new valve cover gasket this fri:D

smufguy
11-19-2002, 06:10 PM
Drove the car around with the heater on so i wont overheat. THe fans still wont come on so i ordered and multimeter and its been really cold and raining this week so i was unable to do it. Still waiting to fix up that backup lights. Everything is neatly set up in the engine bay. removed all the crap from the coolent lints and put em back on. Something is wrong somewhere and i need to hunt it down and fix it.

THe lower radiator temp switch and the one on the thermostat were changed with no luck.

GreenMachine
11-21-2002, 04:08 PM
I fixed the back up lights - there is 2 wires off the tranny.
Just connect a direct power to the Yellow and it works fine !
Also got my heat workin yahh !

smufguy
11-21-2002, 05:14 PM
stuck with the auto tranny harness i got not a chance. but the thing is i can always put a switch inline. anywayz, my fans are still fucked, i gotta see what the fuck is wrong. Its been raining in NJ now and its really pissing me off.

GreenMachine
11-21-2002, 05:21 PM
Ya i used Auto harness too ! the harness should have still had wires to connect to the tranny ?

sniper556mm
05-21-2003, 11:30 PM
did you checkthecooling fan relay?? the one in the fuse box,jumpit and see if the fan fires up,just thought I would through my 2 cents in:tongue:

3G Jester
05-22-2003, 04:51 AM
ya..use one of those crrent testers

smufguy
05-22-2003, 07:25 AM
man....... u guys are like 6 months late to this thread. hahahahaha, Anywho that 3g is junked. Got another body. now everything is in progress.

ryansaccord
05-25-2003, 05:39 PM
hey, im doing my conversion right now and i ran into afew problems, my fuel pump works, my main relay is good, my ecu is good, i get spark to my plugs, but it still wont start, my injector resistor is good, but the wierd thing is i put a test light to one of the wires on the injector then i hear it spray fuel, if i do it to all of them long enough, the car will start then die really quick, so im not getting power to my injectors, or im getting power just no ground, all the grounds are fine and everything, im wondering what else it could be, ive been down for two weeks now, i want my damn car back

smufguy
05-27-2003, 07:09 AM
the injector ground is in the side of the intake manifold. I forgot to ground it cause i missed it. Also what i did was, not push the injector resistor connection all the way in so my car cranked, but would not start. So check those and see if ur car starts. You do hear the pump whine when u put the ignition on II right?