PDA

View Full Version : Should I put in a manual sunroof?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-21-2006, 12:23 PM
I have always wanted a sunroof in the accord but I don't want to go through the hassle of installing a power sunroof. Do you think it would be worth it to put in one of those pop-up sunroofs? I have never used one or known anyone that has had one. Anyone know if they're any good or if they're just junk?

I definately don't want it to leak.

speedpenguin
03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Unless you get it professionally installed, it's probably going to leak.

TheWatcher
03-21-2006, 01:28 PM
I have always wanted a sunroof in the accord but I don't want to go through the hassle of installing a power sunroof. Do you think it would be worth it to put in one of those pop-up sunroofs? I have never used one or known anyone that has had one. Anyone know if they're any good or if they're just junk?
I definately don't want it to leak.
You obviously haven't SEARCHED. :thumbdn:

There are several threads archived that talks about aftermarket sunroofs (and how bad they leak ... eventually). If you had an LX-i/SE-i, I would say go for it. But since you have an LX, I would say "just say no".

I thought about it once, but after reading the threads to educate myself ...

Peace.

Toneloc5145
03-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I definitely disagree about the sunroofs eventually leaking. I have a popup in my car. My parents put it in there like a month after they bought the car(1989), and it has never leaked.

In my opinion, you should have a power sliding sunroof installed instead. That way you could drive with an open roof at the push of a button. If you want an open roof with the popup, you'd have to use tools and remove the glass, and risk the chance of it raining or something happening to the glass. Its not worth it.

TheWatcher
03-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I definitely disagree about the sunroofs eventually leaking. I have a popup in my car. My parents put it in there like a month after they bought the car(1989), and it has never leaked.
In my opinion, you should have a power sliding sunroof installed instead. That way you could drive with an open roof at the push of a button. If you want an open roof with the popup, you'd have to use tools and remove the glass, and risk the chance of it raining or something happening to the glass. Its not worth it.
Maybe you can post:

(1) the manufacturer of the sunroof and

(2)the name of the business that installed it (dealer installed?),

so Mike's89AccordLX can use the information for his purpose(s).

I'm glad your parent's sunroof didn't leak. Actual real life feedback is always welcomed.

Peace.

HostileJava
03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Mike, I'd say if you are going to do it don't put in a sunroof, put in a moonroof. You'll be glad you did.

Toneloc5145
03-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Maybe you can post:
(1) the manufacturer of the sunroof and
(2)the name of the business that installed it (dealer installed?),
so Mike's89AccordLX can use the information for his purpose(s).
I'm glad your parent's sunroof didn't leak. Actual real life feedback is always welcomed.
Peace.

Neither me nor my parents have a clue of who manufactured the sunroof. I will say this though: There's a sticker printed on the glass that say ThermaLite, but i think that is who manufactured the glass.

As for the business, it was installed by a privately owned business in Germany in 1989.

There is also a sticker near the handle on the sunroof that says this
Hersteller: Velm Spa
Beauftragter: Nolden
Typ: 3720/2
Typzeichen: KBA 9346

Obviously thats German, and i dont know German, but maybe somebody else does.

Toneloc5145
03-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Ok, with a little bit of help from google, and a little bit of measuring, i have figured out the manufacturer of my sunroof. The manufacturer is "VELM" and the model is "1530". I dont think VELM is in business anymore, but im not sure.

NXRacer
03-22-2006, 04:31 PM
you DONT want a pop up sunroof. 99% of them leak unless its installed by someone who REALLY knows what they're doing.

I had an aftermarket power sunroof in my last coupe, and except for the drain lines getting plugged from time to time, i never had a problem with water. There is only one place in oregon that installs afermarket electric sunroofs and they cost over $1k to have installed. A bit steep to invest in a 3g.

If you lived in Cali or Arizona, i'd say you probably wouldnt have much to worry about as far as leaking, but i'd be worried about it where you live.

Mike89Accordcom
03-24-2006, 12:24 AM
I put in a pop-up in my Accord, it didnt leak until about 5 years after and it wasn't bad. The same place also did power sunroofs, but they just weren't the same as factory, they were slow. But whatever you do good luck.

speedpenguin
03-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Damn, Toneloc, your parents had a lot of aftermarket work done to that car when they got it.

jonrichert
03-24-2006, 09:41 PM
i have a pop-up sunroof, looks like it was factory installed and it never leaks.

Al86
02-17-2008, 06:36 AM
im using an LX-i with the original sunrrof..and i have a bad leak..does anybody can help me and telling me whats my problem?

2oodoor
02-17-2008, 06:53 AM
drains get stopped up and cause water to back up and overflow the flange opening. Also check rubber seals for gaps in the glass closing, the fitament on the sheetmetal.

lostforawhile
02-17-2008, 08:42 AM
there are aftermarket sunroofs that are good, you need to find people that have had them installed is all. the modern ones have much better materials in the sunroof itself and in the sealing materials. one that s installed with liquid eurthane is not going to leak, it may be hard as crap to remove but once that stuff flows in it's sealed. as far as the gaskets that seal the glass, find a reputable manufacturer who will still be in buisness down the road,then if the seal leaks,you can just replace the seal. or as an aklternative buy the sunroof and buy some extra seals when you buy it. then you have spares. here i posted this before these folks install a lot of sunroofs for dealers, if you have the dough,this is OEM quality stuff. http://www.webastoshowroom.com/index.html

AccordEpicenter
02-17-2008, 09:05 AM
i had 2 non factory sunroofs in hondas and both leaked. One was soo bad i got mold between the seats as a result. I say no

lostforawhile
02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
i had 2 non factory sunroofs in hondas and both leaked. One was soo bad i got mold between the seats as a result. I say nowell if you get one of the good ones,it's usually installed by a dealer that deals in sunroofs.

Civic Accord Honda
02-17-2008, 12:26 PM
anyone know how much it would cost to replace the lxi one with a after market one that pops up vs sliding in? or would it be cheaper just have a new peace of sheat metal welded in and remove the moon roof all together
im kinda tall and if i sit up straight my head rubs the moon roof cover

RamThis
02-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Ok here's the deal, I had one put in my 2006 Toyota 4Runner. It ran us about 1200 for a full function sunroof, it will either pop up, or go down and into the headliner to open fully. One touch button, you dont have to hold it down until it opens, just tap it, and it automatically opens fully or vents fully. Or, push and hold to open partially then let off and it stays there. Tap to close. Really nice function.

It's a Webasto SolAire 5300. Great sunroof. SolAire is the producer of almost all the OEM sunroofs installed in most every new car on the lots today. Only difference between their aftermarket ones, and the OEM ones, is the more generic control button, and you'll have a small plastic trim ring around the glass on your roof instead of the glass just meeting the roof skin itself. No biggie, it's a tiny trim ring and hardly noticeable. It's just there for structure as a factory roof skin is molded around the hole, but the aftermarket setup needs the skin around it to be rigid so this ring is installed.

Heres the other deal. RESEARCH YOUR INSTALLER!!!!! I just trusted that the place we first took our 4Runner to was the place to go to. They did all the auto dealers cars who had sunroofs installed as aftermarket upgrade packages, including upholstery and body trim options. I took pictures of exactly how I wanted the headliner shaped, pix of the model sunroof I wanted, everything.

These people put in the wrong sunroof, just did what they wanted with the headliner ignoring what I told them I wanted, and even stole a CD out of the head unit!! THEN, on the way home it was raining, the thing leaked so bad it totally soaked the headliner. Plus they ruined my upper center console by cutting a huge round hole for a square switch, then covered it up with headliner material thinking I wouldnt see it.

Come to find out, the idiots in the shop who installed it did not route the drain tubes right, making the water in the drain pan to overflow and leak out onto the headliner, and down the front pillars.

After some really, really ugly emails to Webasto, another local dealer contacted me and said Webasto told him to do ANYTHING I requested in order to make it right. So, I kept the model sunroof they already installed since it was a good one anyway, made them replace the console, they re-did the drains, and the headliner, and checked for water damage in the pillars. Plus he'll inspect it yearly at no charge and grease the slides and mechanisms.

Since then it's been flawless and leakless and we now love it.

It all boils down to the INSTALLATION. Done poorly, even the best sunroof will leak. But, you dont have to have a top end sunroof to be happy with it, as long as it's installed properly and cleanly.

Check out www.Webasto.com and look at the SolAire line. The 5300 is what we have in the 4Runner.

Also check out http://www.inalfa-roofsystems.com/ and look around there.

Ours installed.....

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Sunroof_4.jpg

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Sunroof_5.jpg

You can still see the wet spots over the driver side, and the area before the pillars are soaked too. This was right after we got it home and noticed it was leaking. Headliner looks a bit different now that it been redone, but you get the gist. Dont let this scare you, it's all about install, not the sunroof itself......

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Sunroof_Leak_2.jpg

RamThis
02-17-2008, 03:32 PM
drains get stopped up and cause water to back up and overflow the flange opening. Also check rubber seals for gaps in the glass closing, the fitament on the sheetmetal.

Remember, sunroofs are NOT water tight to the body. Much the opposite. Water flows down around the glass into a drain pan and down vinyl drain tubes that run down all four pillars to openings at the bottom of the body structure.

MessyHonda
02-17-2008, 05:59 PM
i just want ours to tilt...i love the tilt feature because you dont have to open it and have the sun hit your face.

RamThis
02-17-2008, 09:02 PM
i just want ours to tilt...i love the tilt feature because you dont have to open it and have the sun hit your face.

You can have them do both like ours. It vents (pops up in the back), OR it can retract fully into the headliner. The factory 3G one just retracts. The one in the 96 Integra GSR we had would vent, or slide back in the vented "pop up" position. Pretty interesting sunroof.

MessyHonda
02-18-2008, 11:46 AM
You can have them do both like ours. It vents (pops up in the back), OR it can retract fully into the headliner. The factory 3G one just retracts. The one in the 96 Integra GSR we had would vent, or slide back in the vented "pop up" position. Pretty interesting sunroof.

i just want mine to pop up in the back