PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan always starts after I turn off the engine

perlov
03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
91 Accord ALWAYS kicks-in radiator fan when I turn the engine off, even when it is cold outside. Is it normal? The temperature gauge is in perfect 9 oclock position at all times and I have no any other complaints.

bobafett
03-21-2006, 08:48 PM
that fan 'should' kick on based on water temp, not ambient temp. does the fan come on 'always' after you have driven the car and warmed it up? or does it come on if you start the car and then kill it right away?

Hash_man_Se_i
03-21-2006, 09:37 PM
I have a couple friends who had 4th gen accords... they all did that so dont freak out. its normal.

mkymonkey
03-21-2006, 10:56 PM
i dont know if its normal on the 3g but mine kicks on everytime i turn my car off too. it only stays on for a couple of mins.

come to think of it, my 01 civic does it too. so i guess this MUST be normal lol

bobafett
03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
its normal if the water is above a certain temp, so if you turn off your car when the water is at or above that temp, then the fan should come on every time. :)

perlov
03-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Yes it does kick-in only at a certain coolant temp. And it started doing that when I replaced thermostat, so I gues when I was constantly driving on a stuck open thermostat the engine never got warmed up enough for that.

Also when I turn off the engine I can hear dripping noise from the inside of engine block for a minute or two - is this normal? My 3g didn't do that.

Thanks.