PDA

View Full Version : How to check if the AC was converted from Freon to gas

perlov
03-21-2006, 08:44 PM
I need to fill up my AC on 91 Accord. Is there any way to check if it has been converted from freon (if it was freon based at all)? What is going to happend if I fill freon system with gas? If needed, is it hard to convert the AC from freon to gas myself?

Thanks,
KP

Oldblueaccord
03-21-2006, 09:13 PM
well you mean the kind of freon. Automotive uses freon only. It be 134a or the older R12. your right on the cut off.

Should be stickers under the hodd if its been changed by a pro.

There something called Freeze 12 that is compatible might want to look into that to top off an older sysytem.

The epa government site is good info on freon in general.

wp

88Accord-DX
03-21-2006, 09:14 PM
There is different fittings for R134a to R12.

Edit- They have retro-fittings to convert R12 to R134A. Just need to take it to a shop to recover the freon. Don't pollute the ozone layer with that shit, please! Cost is cheap to have it recovered.

Oldblueaccord
03-21-2006, 09:33 PM
yeah but people like me covert don't change the fittings cause my gauges were the old r 12 :naughty:

wp

TheWatcher
03-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Don't pollute the ozone layer with that shit, please! Cost is cheap to have it recovered.
Werd. :thumbup:

And it's also against the law to vent freon.

Peace.

Blkblurr
03-22-2006, 12:48 PM
It's against the law to speed to!! These old systems are usually empty by the time someone wants to charge them. If you are going to put R12 back in you will need to have it leak tested and repaired if it is leaking. I converted mine to R134A, found a leak in the tubes going to my condensor core and replaced the o-rings where the two hoses enter the condensor core by the radiator, pumped the system down and it's still holding a good charge a year later.

TheWatcher
03-23-2006, 04:47 AM
It's against the law to speed to!! These old systems are usually empty by the time someone wants to charge them. If you are going to put R12 back in you will need to have it leak tested and repaired if it is leaking. I converted mine to R134A, found a leak in the tubes going to my condensor core and replaced the o-rings where the two hoses enter the condensor core by the radiator, pumped the system down and it's still holding a good charge a year later.
Comparing venting freon to speeding is retarded. The fine for speeding is maybe a couple hundred dollars , the fine for venting freon can be as high as $25,000.

http://yarchive.net/ac/epa_rules.html

Quote: "This can get you a $25,000
fine and an upto $10,000 reward to the guy who turns you in..,
this applies to DIY'ers also!"

Also,

http://www.autofrost.com/epa-facts.txt

Quote: "Venting refrigerant can lead to fines of $25,000 per
violation."

BTW, if you're gonna vent freon Blkblurr, please let me know so I can collect my $10,000 reward. :) :tongue:

But really, people should not be venting freon, because it hurts the atmosphere, not just because of the fines. We all share this planet, and everyone need to do their part to not destroy it. :thumbdn:

Peace.

Blkblurr
03-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Comparing venting freon to speeding is retarded. The fine for speeding is maybe a couple hundred dollars , the fine for venting freon can be as high as $25,000.
http://yarchive.net/ac/epa_rules.html
Quote: "This can get you a $25,000
fine and an upto $10,000 reward to the guy who turns you in..,
this applies to DIY'ers also!"
Also,
http://www.autofrost.com/epa-facts.txt
Quote: "Venting refrigerant can lead to fines of $25,000 per
violation."
BTW, if you're gonna vent freon Blkblurr, please let me know so I can collect my $10,000 reward. :) :tongue:
But really, people should not be venting freon, because it hurts the atmosphere, not just because of the fines. We all share this planet, and everyone need to do their part to not destroy it. :thumbdn:
Peace.

dude, Chill out. My point was being illegal isn't going to stop people from venting it. I wanted people to expect a large expense if they wanted to put R12 back into the system which is really the stupid thing to do. What better way to get people to change from R12 than to make it costly.