PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question....

EducatedFool
03-22-2006, 09:13 AM
How do I add gear oil to my manual tranny? If it helps any, I have an 86 DX hatch. I've never worked on a manual car before so i have no clue where to put in gear oil. thanks

Shadowkat
03-22-2006, 09:13 PM
How do I add gear oil to my manual tranny? If it helps any, I have an 86 DX hatch. I've never worked on a manual car before so i have no clue where to put in gear oil. thanks

There's probably a post somewhere else on this topic. But if you searched for it and couldn't find anything. . .The plug to fill the manual trans. is on the passenger side of the tranny near the top. The plug is giant, but it can be removed by a 17mm socket wrench i believe. You will need approximatly 2.5 quarts of mtf(i recommend genuine honda mtf) to fill the trans from empty. Remove the plug, then use a funnel with a hose attatched to the end and pour the fluid in(it's quite viscous and wil probably flow slowly). Once you are nearing 2.5 quarts(i recommend starting this part after just 2 quarts to be sure), put your hand or some fingers under the opening where you fill the trans, and once you feel the fluid start to pour out onto your fingers you know the trans is filled.

If you have not done this before and need to drive your car, i suggest getting some help, otherwise it could take a while to find the plug and whatnot. Also, i suggest buying a chilton's manual or a factory service manual to help with routine maintenance things like this. And next time try searching, because there is probably a thread already posted on this. Good luck!