PDA

View Full Version : my tire popped... wat the

need more power
03-23-2006, 12:28 AM
hey guys, you wont care but im new. anyway, i own an 89 accord si (im in australia btw) and had a set of 17" 205 40 speedy rims on the beast and early last week i realised i had a flat front left hand tire.:Owned2: so i did wat most people do in that situation... i hurled abuse at the limp piece of rubber. then as i took off the wheel it became aparent that my puncture was more of a problem than i anticipated.:wtf: the tire was torn 80% of the way around the inside of the wheel in a nice clean line. the question is that was something rubbing on it. and wat the hell could it be cause the size is suposed to be fine for the car... but i did hav a wheel alignment issue that was fairly bad but that wouldnt shred a tire like that would it??? any help would be greatly apreciated as i now have the stock 13" back on and they are making me depressed but im not putting my mags back on till im sure the same thing wont happen again... cheers

HondaBoy
03-23-2006, 01:06 AM
its quite likely you do have an alignment problem. before i got my alignment straitened out, my tires would wear like that. so yeah, i'd get that checked because its not too likely that the size tire you have would rub on anything. 205 is safe and a 40 sidewall is hardly ever going to rub. if so, not enough that it should do what you explained.

need more power
03-23-2006, 04:37 AM
but there is no alignment issue when i have the 13" on the beast... strange... coincidence or something more sinister:rocket:

halxi
03-23-2006, 07:33 AM
weight, balancing, tire type, all comes into effect with how your car behaves on the road i would believe.

You might have a bent rim

AZmike
03-23-2006, 10:53 AM
What is the offset on your wheels? Where on the inside of the tire was the tear (sidewall, shoulder, tread)?

HondaBoy
03-23-2006, 06:09 PM
oic, then maybe the offset is too far in. i didnt realize with stock rims you have no problem.

need more power
03-23-2006, 11:46 PM
its still running the stock offset. the rim is not bent but if it was to do with the offset the other tire would have similar complications. it was rubbing on the tread about 1-2 cm from the inner edge. :help:

AccordRacing21
03-23-2006, 11:53 PM
If your tire loses air and you drive on it flat (like you don't notice and drive on it) it will eat up the inside of the tire and the sidewall pretty much tears off of the tread in a nice little line. It gets hot and disenigrates (IDK how to spell that word).

need more power
03-24-2006, 12:23 AM
im sort of a perfectionist wen it comes to handling and check and pump my tires every weekend... its to dangerous to drive without feeling in control... especially at 180km/h. . . not that i do that often. i might just buy a shit tire and monitor wat happens....but then i hav 3 michilen and 1 k mart tire... not the best mix im sure

speedpenguin
03-24-2006, 08:48 AM
You're, umm... Supposed to change tires in pairs for a reason. If you don't they wear unevenly. And even something as mundane as switching to bigger rims means you should have an alignment done. If you hop a curb or anything, it can fuck up your alignment, especially if you have oversized rims.

2drSE-i
03-24-2006, 09:53 AM
no no hes saying that hes having to buy a crappy kmart tire to replace his michelin. anyway, i know on my brothers car his car sat for a month and it sat so long that his tire shredded. just somethin to think about.

speedpenguin
03-24-2006, 02:02 PM
LOL, sorry. :lol:

need more power
04-01-2006, 12:44 AM
i got it fixed today but it would apear that they didnt balance the wheels so now it rides like a wounded dog. . . thats what i think it is, i hope, am i wrong