PDA

View Full Version : eBay springs?

Soundy
03-23-2006, 09:40 AM
So I've got a broken rear spring and really need to get a little height back from the cut springs the previous owner put in this car. Checking out some of what's available on eBay (http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=accord+coilover) ... lots to choose from! Adjustable coilovers running around $10-$15/set and $55-$65 shipping about fits the budget :)

Just wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations or warnings about particular brands and/or vendors... I have a few days before I'll have the money to put in my PayPal account anyway :)

2drSE-i
03-23-2006, 09:44 AM
none of those are for our cars...read the sticky at the top of this section dude, youll read most of the types of springs.

Soundy
03-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Sticky says:

COILOVERS

Coilovers from these cars are compatible (maybe others).
Accord 86-89
Accord 90-97
Civic 88-91

I got only one hit that specifically listed '86-'89s, so I had to expand the search.

AZmike
03-23-2006, 10:49 AM
You read the dampers section too, right?

"Springs that are stiffer than stock require dampers that are stronger than stock. Switching the springs and leaving the old worn out dampers or simply replacing them with OEM equivalents will leave you with a bouncy, floaty ride. If you don’t have enough money for good shocks and springs and you want to improve how your car handles, just get quality dampers—they make a bigger difference. Just swapping springs will lower the car, but it will be so unsettled through anything but smooth, constant radius corners that you lose much of the handling benefit of the stiffer, shorter springs."

Soundy
03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Yes, I read the dampers section too. Did you catch the part where I said I have a broken spring? Replacing that is kind of a priority. If I have to do something else later to deal with changes in the ride, so be it. The existing springs are cut and I can't just slap in a single stock unit to replace the broken one, so a whole new set is required.

Unfortuantely none of the listings I've looked at so far actually list the spring rates, so it's kind of hard to tell how much or even if they'll actually be stiffer. As far as I know, the springs that are in this car now are aftermarket as well (unless someone actually went to the trouble of powdercoating the stock springs), so even their stiffness isn't a known value.

My other option is to simply get a whole set of used stock struts from a wrecker, but that's a last resort.

speedpenguin
03-23-2006, 04:38 PM
If the springs are cut, but you've got stock dampers, then I would just replace them with stock springs and take the cut springs out.
You'll get a much better ride that way.
Then just wait and get some good quality springs and dampers.

Soundy
03-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Stock springs are stupid expensive tho, nobody selling those cheap on eBay. For all I know, the dampers aren't stock either...

Thus, I'm looking to put some decent springs in first, because of the broken one, and worry about the dampers later IF necessary.

2drSE-i
03-23-2006, 06:31 PM
try H&R's, but dont look at the garbage on ebay.