PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty of auto tranny replacement

Clark
03-23-2006, 03:11 PM
My car is an auto and it is slowly (but surely) dying. I don't really want to pay to have a tranny shop replace it and, quite frankly, would like to learn more about my car by replacing the tranny myself. I plan on getting a shop manual like Haynes, Chiltons, etc. to help me through the process. I am no mechanic but know my way around an engine bay well and regularly service my car. With that in mind: How difficult would replacing the tranny be for me? Should I reconsider or go ahead? How much time should I need? Any special tools to buy before I start? I'd appreciate feedback from all but especially from those who have done a tranny replacement in something similar to my car. Thanks.

BITESIZE
03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Do I hear 5 speed swap?!?!

shepherd79
03-24-2006, 05:54 AM
I am going to start by saying "WAY TO GO, SAY NO TO MECHANICS!!!!"
Since you said you know your way around the engine bay, i am going to say plan 2 days to do all that. This way you will take your time and you can actually learn.
Special tools: you may want to get a small prybar.
Little trick: when you ready to pull the tranny. remove the rear engine mount and let the engine slide down and back a little. (side mount and front mount will keep the car in place, but you still want to keep the jack under the engine just in case (make sure you use piece of wood or something between jack and oil pan.)) By having engine slide down and back you won't have problem with pulling tranny out.
OH, sometimes the axel nut will get tight. So always use antisease lube when you put all together.
Good luck.

86-accord-lxi
03-24-2006, 06:57 AM
I recently replaced the auto tranny in my 86 lxi with help from a friend, Both of us having never replaced a transmission in our lives. I have a manual based on a complete tear down and rebuild of the f4 automatic transmissions
in 1986-1989 accords. It has directions with pictures on how to remove the
transmission, and install the new one. The hardest part was getting the pinch fork bolt out on the parts car we got the transmission from (had to take a torch to it, rusted pretty bad) We didn't even have an engine hoist, We had a home made setup with a come-a-long, But if you can get a hoist, or rent one it would probably be a little easier, although it wasn't half bad when I used a home made setup. I also highly recommend using a transmission jack.
Other than that The tools are pretty much basic, I used a 200 piece stanley tool set, And had to buy some extra stuff like a breaker bar, socket adapters
(like 1/2" to 3/4" etc...) Also some swivel adapters, and several different size extensions. If you have an impacts wrench it would come in handy as well, But is not absolutely called for. Make sure you label EVERYTHING you disconnect ! It makes it so much easier when putting it all back together.
Make sure to use Honda A.T.F Z-1 ONLY ! If you have an 86-87 accord, I recommend replacing with a 88-89 transmission, Reason being :
make: Honda Accord 1986-1987
service bulletin sequence number :87-030
bulletin sequence number :040
Date of bulletin :11/87
NHTSA item number :94960
component: power train :transmission:automatic
summary: shudder during up/downshifts
car shudders noticeably during first to second upshifts, Third to second downshifts, and fourth to second downshifts.
Broken second clutch piston guide, which in turn damages second clutch
friction disks.
Replace second and fourth clutch packs, second gear, needle bearing and thrust washer. ALL 1986-1987 Honda Acoords and 1985-1987 Honda prelude
si models.
You will need to replace the axle end snap rings (c clamps) When re-installing.
If you are interested, I have a master rebuild kit for 86-89 f4 automatic transmissions for sale, I never rebuilt my old one. I replaced it with a low mileage used one from the J/Y. If you get your transmission at a pull it yourself J/Y like I did, Make sure to get everything that goes with the transmission, All nuts/bolts, and leave the shift cable attached to the transmission, It makes it easier. When your at the J/Y, take your time
to look through all the 3g accords, If you can, test them out, If not see if the shifter feels ok when shifting, check the fluid, smell the fluid, if there is any "burn" smell, don't buy it. Look for the one with the least mileage and cleanest non burned fluid. The clean fluid should be pink or red in color.
I think I covered everything here. Be confident and take your time. It took me 4 days to complete the swap, Thats getting the J/Y tranny, removing my old one, installing the new one, and flushing. When I removed the old transmission, I used compressed air to "blow out" the transmission cooler, and cooling lines. When I installed the "new" transmission, I first put cheap super tech dexron III in, Ran the car around for about 30 minutes in the neighborhood, Then drained the fluid, refilled with the super tech dexron III
and repeated the procedure, drained, Then did the final fill with Honda A.T.F
Z-1 .The tranny works great. If you want to be safe, add an afternmarket auto transmission cooler like b&m, or hayden, and also add little in line filters
on the cooling lines. I plan to get a hayden heavy duty cooler, and in line filters soon. That should make the transmission nice, cool, and happy.

All in all, It's not that hard. Just use patience, and common sense, and You'll be fine. Good luck ! Wow, Should this be a "how to " stic

shepherd79
03-24-2006, 12:07 PM
86-Accord-lxi, if you want to post pictures. You should make them to fit the screen and make them a lot smaller in size for other people to view.
I edited your post with all the pictures. If you want to link to your site or to your pictures, just make them as weblink. let people click on them if they want.

Vanilla Sky
03-24-2006, 12:45 PM
i agree with the trans cooler, but i know of a cheaper source.

go to the junkyard and pull one from a truck. i got mine from an older ford aerostar van. it's a 2 pass cooler. just take a look when you go in there. mine was $8.

Clark
03-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Wow!! That's a lot of information to digest. Most likely I will buy a tranny from a parts place, used tranny as I don't have a ton of money but will look out for the warning signs as per 86-accord-lxi. I should have a helping hand from one of my buddies. I will also copy and paste this to my computer so I have it handy when D-day comes.

Sorry bitesize, I'm not really interested in a 5-speed swap.

Thanks for the info. Any one else?

Clark

Vanilla Sky
03-25-2006, 01:15 AM
other than what's already been mentioned, i don't know of too much.

just make sure you have all your tools before hand. that 30/32MM socket for the spindle nut isn't always easy to find, even in parts stores. make sure you have a torque wrench as well. it's very important that you TQ your bolts properly.

keep some hand cleaner around. you'll want to wash up a few times while working because you will get CAKED with crap.

it would also be smart to clean the engine and trans before attempting to pull the old one out. i had to "de-cake" 3 bolts to find them.

LABEL LABEL LABEL! unless you have a photographic memory, you MUST label things unless you feel like taking things apart a few times to get them right.

jackstands. don't use your jack alone. always use jackstands. common knowledge, but some people don't bother. it's never fun pulling a car off of someone.

have fun. when you're done, kick back and have a beer or two to celebrate. this is no small feat.

86-accord-lxi
03-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Sorry shepherd, Here's a link, This covers troubleshooting, road testing, removal and installation of 86-89 honda accord f4 automatic transmissions.
http://www.daisyscreations.com/brandon/transmission.html

shawnmos
02-12-2009, 09:06 AM
anyone have any pics? all the links are dead. :(