PDA

View Full Version : reverse gauges prob

ghettogeddy
03-23-2006, 09:58 PM
so i put my reverse glow gauges in and now my gas gauge dosent work and my speedo wont go over 10mph (i know why its doin that though) but i cant figure out why my gas gauge stop working any help would be great

kaltenacht
03-23-2006, 10:25 PM
When you put your reverse gauges in, did you happen to accidentally touch the needle? If so you could have knocked it out of calibration. If not that then did you make sure you assembled everything back together properly? Maybe you have a loose connection.

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 06:15 AM
When you put your reverse gauges in, did you happen to accidentally touch the needle? If so you could have knocked it out of calibration. If not that then did you make sure you assembled everything back together properly? Maybe you have a loose connection.
well when i put them in on the gas gauge i kind of had to touch the deedle but its also my temp gauge so i think i might have unpluged something on acident

2drSE-i
03-24-2006, 09:46 AM
let us know, i was dissassembling my guage cluster last night to put mine in, but ran out of time. let me know :D

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 09:49 AM
well i think i fixed it. the face was popping out a bit (cause i used tape on the back side to hold it in)its the only one that isent held by screws so u have to hold in place some how and i dident want to use glue so i just stuck very small pieces of tape on the top, bottom and sides to hold it on and it seemes to work

3rdgenhatchDX
03-24-2006, 11:46 AM
You should really get some double sided tape that way its as flat as possible.

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 11:47 AM
well there is one more prob the switch that lets u dim and selicted gren or blue, keeps on shocking the shit out my fingers and i dont know y

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 12:28 PM
also i remeber someone else saying something about a hum that the lights create well mine are doing that and i was woundering how to fix it

Gemini2003
03-24-2006, 02:55 PM
LOL ... dejaview... (sp?)

I have the same gauges and HAD the same problems !!

First off you'll need to tape the edges of the gauge to the gauge cluster..... You can do this and trust me if you do it right you won't see the tape and it actually holds way better then double sided tape because double sided tape looses it's stickiness as soon as the weather changes or in my experience multiple times in the summer.

Second The shocking matter of the switch... I found if I was touching the back of the little switch it will zap you (the little electronics on the back) . I never had and issue when just using one finger to flip the switch.

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 03:37 PM
LOL ... dejaview... (sp?)

I have the same gauges and HAD the same problems !!

First off you'll need to tape the edges of the gauge to the gauge cluster..... You can do this and trust me if you do it right you won't see the tape and it actually holds way better then double sided tape because double sided tape looses it's stickiness as soon as the weather changes or in my experience multiple times in the summer.

Second The shocking matter of the switch... I found if I was touching the back of the little switch it will zap you (the little electronics on the back) . I never had and issue when just using one finger to flip the switch.

thats what i ended up using is tape on top,bottom and sides

and the shocking part is right but im not mounting the switch cause i dont want to change the color or anything so i just stowed it under the dash but ive been making adjestments and when i go to put it back it zaps me so im eather gona put electrical tape on the back or make a plastic cover

Gemini2003
03-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Glad I was able to help... even tho it was a little late! BTW I love thoes gauges... Where did you splice them into?

I used the original light wires for the top lights of the gauge cluster.

2drSE-i
03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
i would put electrical tape on the back of it and make a plastic cover. If its shocking you its not grounding right, which means theres a short in the wire somewhere, probably in the back of the dimmer switch if your both having the same problem. But this should help me with my install, thanks guys :D

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 04:41 PM
i spliced into the igniton so when i turn the car on they come on on the top wirs though whats ground and whats neg

Gemini2003
03-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm Sorry I can't remember... but just use a test light with your lights turned on :-)

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 06:26 PM
ya i cant belive they put two green wires

Gemini2003
03-24-2006, 06:27 PM
I ended up just removing thoes top lights all together... It' makes the reverse glow stand out more...

ghettogeddy
03-24-2006, 06:31 PM
thats what i did that and a couple in the back but i think im gona do like a black light or something to make the needles stand out more
maybe a blue glow in the dark paint
http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=4

Whistler225
04-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Ghetto: What did you ground the switch to? I work for a local phone company, which is all DC circuitry....I can tell you from personal experience that a circuit CAN be grounded and still shock you. If you are the shortest path to ground, then you will feel the current. Say for example you are sitting in the car with the door open and your foot on the ground, or you are touching a grounded surface in the car, you might feel a tingle when you touch those conductors. 12v isn't much, and I'm sure the fuse can't be more than 20A (is it?).

Something many people also don't realize about electrical tape is that the cheap stuff isn't really an insulator. If you wrap it around enough times, sure the circuit won't ground (or short) out, but it isn't truly insulated. Rubber tape would do the job better.

ghettogeddy
04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
well it isent a tingle its feels more like a shock enought to shake my hole arm and i think the fuse is a 15amp

Whistler225
04-09-2006, 06:58 PM
wow.....15 amps shouldn't be enough to do more than give you a tingle....it isn't volts as much as amps that hurt. I've seen guys thrown across a room from touching 4000 amps, but never seen anyone bothered by 15....very strange.

Any thoughts on my other questions about the gauges?

Whistler225
04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
woops, sorry my questions were in another thread

ghettogeddy
04-09-2006, 07:08 PM
the switch question. its gronded to the same point as my radar detector