PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Leaks

mossimo817
03-24-2006, 11:02 AM
I have an 88 Accord and last week I got some gas, filled it up until the lever stopped, drove it around but I begin to smell gas inside the car and also outside while driving. I just figured I stepped in some gas or some spilled out by the filler. A few days passed by and the smell went away. I just filled it up again the other day and begin to smell gas again but it wasn't until I was walking down my driveway when I noticed a puddl underneath the rear driver side tire...it was gas. I noticed a small drip on the driver side rear side tire. I have a small bucket underneath and it's still leaks. I decided not to drive it but have not had a chance to really get underneath to look at it.

Does anyone have any thoughts of where the leak may be from? It just started doing this last week and I never had this problem in the past. Any suggestions would help. I'm gonna try to get underneath there tomorrow morning but I need to know what I should be looking out for. Please help me! Thanks!!!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Its pretty common for the filler pipe to rust on these cars. There was even a recall for this issue. Check if its what you are experiencing and you may even be able to have it repaired for free by the dealer (don't quote me on that). Just my $.02

DarkRedAccord
03-28-2006, 10:30 AM
This sounds similar to what I have. Here is the link to my earlier post on this subject:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19300&highlight=gas+tank+leak
This is not a common problem, so info is limited.
By the way, if I keep the gas level at or below half-tank,
there is no gas leak.

89se-i
03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
On my altima the filler neck rusted a hole through. I got some gas tank hole sealer formc ar quest for a few buck. You just cut a peice of it off kneed it togehter and stick it on, et it dry for a day and your set. Its held up for almost 2 years now.

carotman
03-29-2006, 05:48 AM
My tank rusted at the junction between the top and bottom part. Ended up replacing it with an EFI tank.