PDA

View Full Version : fuel injector compatibility

AC439
03-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Ok...I think I came across this and I searched but just can't find the information. I have a 86LXi and I am going to replace the leaking injectors. Can I use all 86'-89' injectors? What about other generations of Accord and/or Prelude/Civic? Thanks. - AC

Oldblueaccord
03-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Well what you want to look for is if the car uses the injector resistor or not. There are 2 types of injectors one uses a resistor box one doesn't. There called saturated the other peak-hold. Honda at some point used both.

Look up Russ collins web-site i think its rceng.com and tell us what you learned. I cant remember which is which at this point. There are several aftermarket companies out there that sell replacements as well. Most Hondas are rated at 240cc I think.

wp

AC439
03-27-2006, 05:22 AM
Thanks for pointing out RCENG. I'm sorry but I didn't learn anything from that web site. All I want to know is to find out if there are injectors from other Honda models that will have a direct fit to my 86LXi. I had my injectors replaced once 10 years back and I picked up a set from the junk yard and no reference to any details were made at that time. But considering the age of our cars, I'd like to put NEWER compatiable injectors from other Honda models, if possible, to my car.

I have been doing some diggings but can't find much good info. But seems like NAPA specifies some reman injectors that will fit many different Honda models including Civic / Legend / Integra etc. If I have this info, I have a better chance to find a newer set of injectors from the junk yard.

Anybody knows?
-AC

PhydeauX
03-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Grab a multi-meter and test the resistance across the one of the injectors in your car. If they are above 12 Ohms then they are the saturated type, 3 Ohms or below then they are peak hold. I'm fairly certain the 3g computer is setup to control the saturated style injectors, but I forget what style injector was in the car. Peak-hold injectors can be used in a saturated system if you put a resistor on them, otherwise you'll fry the injectors (saturated injectors don't work in a peak-hold system). Idealy you want injectors that are the same size as the ones you have now. Otherwise you're going to throw your afr off. I know the injector data etc for the 3g injectors is on this site somewhere, though search isn't proving very useful to me in finding it. I'd stick with 3g injectors, that way you know you're getting the right stuff. Injectors are pretty durable, provided the filters were kept up you shouldn't have any problems with junkyard injectors. If you must have injectors from a newer car then make sure that they have the same flow rate, and if you need a resistor pack that you get one. Crossreferenceing in that napa catalog or something similar should prove useful for making a list of possible donor cars. Injectors from just about any honda, and most other manufacutures that used top feed injectors, will physically fit. But if they aren't the same size then the computer is going to be injecting more or less fuel then it thinks it is and things like bad gas mileage, poor idle, fouled plugs, etc will ensue.

andy

Oldblueaccord
03-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for pointing out RCENG. I'm sorry but I didn't learn anything from that web site. All I want to know is to find out if there are injectors from other Honda models that will have a direct fit to my 86LXi. I had my injectors replaced once 10 years back and I picked up a set from the junk yard and no reference to any details were made at that time. But considering the age of our cars, I'd like to put NEWER compatiable injectors from other Honda models, if possible, to my car.
I have been doing some diggings but can't find much good info. But seems like NAPA specifies some reman injectors that will fit many different Honda models including Civic / Legend / Integra etc. If I have this info, I have a better chance to find a newer set of injectors from the junk yard.
Anybody knows?
-AC

Well i dont know your answer right off so you know more than me now. When I cross ref. parts I did just what you did. Got year/make of vehicles and look up there parts individualy see if the part number/description are the same. I think all those vehicles you mentioned are the same injector. I think it was the newer preludes that had the high ohm injectors.

www.rockauto.com is another good place to cross ref. parts.

wp

AC439
03-28-2006, 03:50 AM
Thanks and I have checked that web site. According to Rockauto, the injectors are interchangeable through 97' accord (4 cylinder version). There are also some other years of Civic Si such as 90-91 will fit too.

- AC