PDA

View Full Version : My new gauges :)

maxsideburn
03-26-2006, 01:20 AM
I designed some new gauges in Photoshop (using Paul's template of course), and decided to try out the new printer tonight, here's what came out of it. They look really, really good in person, the picture isn't the best. Anyway I'll try to get them installed soon. So more pics to come.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/4029/10000477su.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mkymonkey
03-26-2006, 02:11 AM
what type of paper are you using?

edit: and what size did you print them out in? ive been wanting to do this but am to hesitant because i dont want to mess up my gauge cluster, and cuz i dont want to make them the wrong size either. plus im too lazy lol

maxsideburn
03-26-2006, 01:02 PM
I used high quality photo paper, gloss. They look amazing if you could see them in person. I printed them in 300dpi resolution, that's all that really matters. They come in 300dpi I believe, but I used Photoshop's "resize assistant" just to make sure ;)

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-26-2006, 01:22 PM
The gauges do have to be printed in 300dpi. That way the correct dimensions are preserved.

89AccordResto
03-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Thing about printing them yourself is they'll probably fade pretty soon. I've printed out my own photos for a few years, and the ones that are hanging on my fridge get occasional sunlight. They're already starting to fade. Try some ink that says UV resistent or get them printed professionally if you want them to last long.

MessyHonda
03-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Thing about printing them yourself is they'll probably fade pretty soon. I've printed out my own photos for a few years, and the ones that are hanging on my fridge get occasional sunlight. They're already starting to fade. Try some ink that says UV resistent or get them printed professionally if you want them to last long.

never thought of that...well good tip..maybe i will take them in my pen drive and go to kinkos see if they have any of that ink on some glossy paper

Whistler225
04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
If you have a recent Epson printer, the inks are already UV resistent. I have an Epson CX6400, and it uses those. I haven't printed out my new gauges yet because I need new ink cartridges.

I saw on Paul's website...it says you don't have to remove your needles to install these gauge covers....but I don't see how you could put the fuel/temp cover on without taking off the needles....has anyone done this yet? Is it difficult to get those needles off and reinstall them, or do they just "pop" off?

I was also wondering about lighting....doesn't the light for the gauges come from behind them? Wouldn't that mean the gauge covers would block the light? I want to try these gauges....they look awesome, but I am hesitant for these reasons.

3G Jester
04-09-2006, 06:28 PM
use some of that 3M spray mount when you put them on.

ghettogeddy
04-09-2006, 06:40 PM
i dient ahve to when i did my revers glow gauges u just have to use small about of forse to get those on but with the paper ones u might just be able to cut a small slit in the paper to get it on the only one i reall had a prob with was the spedo

89AccordResto
04-09-2006, 06:51 PM
If you have a recent Epson printer, the inks are already UV resistent.

I have an Epson. And it still fades. Resisting UV is just that: Providing resistence to fading. But it still fades. Getting them professionally printed on a color laser printer will make it last a LOT longer.

89AccordResto
04-09-2006, 06:52 PM
I was also wondering about lighting....doesn't the light for the gauges come from behind them? Wouldn't that mean the gauge covers would block the light? I want to try these gauges....they look awesome, but I am hesitant for these reasons.

Yep. Hence why I wouldn't do it. Stock looks pretty good. Just keep em clean. :) Maybe add a very SMALL subtle silver trim ring around each section.

Whistler225
04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
hrmmm....now THAT sounds like a nice idea. Just regular silver piping? I'll have to tinker with that....Thanks!

bullard123
04-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Those look good max. Good job bro.

Whistler225
04-11-2006, 03:53 PM
How are most people putting light to these gauges? It seems like anything you put outside the gauge cluster would be visible....Has anyone managed to actually hide the new lighting and make it look good? How difficult is it to do?

ghettogeddy
04-11-2006, 03:55 PM
right on top of the gauge pod is a light bar that holds two lights some people have put black lights in there to make the white part of the paper stand out it would be cool if the gauges were printyed on black paper with white numbers and then the numbers would stand out

Whistler225
04-11-2006, 04:35 PM
So the lights are on the outside of the gauges, instead of behind them? well hell, that just makes too much sense lol....

So I could put these right on my gauge faces and they would still be lit with no other modification....

What type of bulbs are they? Is it difficult to find the blacklight bulbs that fit?

Or is it a deal where you remove the stock bar and replace it with the blacklight bar....

and I agree....those gauges would look wicked in black with white numbers.

ghettogeddy
04-11-2006, 04:49 PM
well the bulbs are also in the back of the gauge cluster these are helper bulbs i guess but the idea is to put a black light bar in have u seen the reverse glow gauges yet, cause there pritty cheap price wise

ghettogeddy
04-11-2006, 05:01 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/465464316.jpg
heres a crappy pic of mine

ghettogeddy
04-11-2006, 05:08 PM
ya i was thinking about using blue glow in the dark paint

ghettogeddy
04-11-2006, 06:02 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF1122.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF1121.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF1110.jpg
here are some better pics

wprocomp
04-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I have those,and i absolutly hate them-they dont work half the time,didnt fit right and the carbon fiber panel is all cracked and ugly now-and its been on my car for about 2 years now I guess,enjoy them while they are nice and working

ghettogeddy
04-11-2006, 06:35 PM
well the carbon fiber panel was only 12 bucks so if it last 2 years ill be happy and what dident work mine work everytime i turn my car on well thats only cause there hooked to my igintion but did they just not come on or what

ghettogeddy
04-12-2006, 02:35 PM
http://www.blackcatcustom.com/

hers a cool site i just found too

Tomisimo
10-09-2006, 02:29 PM

All you need is to find a laser colour printer. Problem solved, money saved

PortugalFocus
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
They look fantstic man. Great job

russiankid
10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Those look good, i might be doing something similiar like that but i will keep a stock cluster just incase if the other one goes out. I like the stock guages...just the bouncing speedo needle looks weird.

HostileJava
10-11-2006, 05:01 PM
I know I've said this several times before, but print them on vinyl, the stuff you use to print stickers out on the inkjet printers. After several warm cold cycles outside the paper will get moisture in it and start to puff or curl.

MessyHonda
10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Those look good, i might be doing something similiar like that but i will keep a stock cluster just incase if the other one goes out. I like the stock guages...just the bouncing speedo needle looks weird.

i hate how the bouncing speed needle looks...my friend saw it and was like are you going 25or 30....that is how bad it is.....ima search if on how to fix it.

HostileJava
10-11-2006, 06:57 PM
i hate how the bouncing speed needle looks...my friend saw it and was like are you going 25or 30....that is how bad it is.....ima search if on how to fix it.

Could be a loose or broken speedo cable. Mine was doing that when it wasn't tight in the speed sensor housing.

HondaBoy
10-11-2006, 07:18 PM
i tried doing that myself a couple of years ago. but i didnt like the way they looked in my car. didnt really match, so i still got my old black face gauges. i had thought about printing on photo paper myself, but never did it.

chickensandwich
10-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok, im not trying to jack the thread but i just need some help relating to the whole cluster thingy.

ok i want to change the lighting color of the gauge cluster when lit up at night. how do i go about to change the white lighting to say a blue lighting?

do i change the bulb? paint it? help is definately appreciated from chickensandwich and crew.:)

mkymonkey
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
what people have done here is redo the whole lighting situation with LED's as well as used black lights and other shit. search, i would for ya but im lazy