PDA

View Full Version : Project Mods???

VaLxBuilder
08-22-2002, 07:25 PM
Okay, I gonna throw this out and see what it you guys think...
I tend to have a weak spot when I see a neglected, abused Accord thats cheap. Here's what on the table - 87LXi hb, 5sp, good body (- only minor paint blisters on one fender) clean complete interior, but 256K miles. Cost - basically free.
It's gonna need a complete engine rebuild, but I would like to make it my 'play' car and put some performance into it. Not 10 second quarters but enough to dust off the kiddys in stock cars with wings and rims.
My question is this- Where mods / parts / swaps are going to be the most cost effective to the motor? There seems to be at least some after market support for 86-89 models, as there is basically none for the 84's I have now. thx..

Sabz5150
08-22-2002, 07:35 PM
Definitely go for a Weber carb. It aint cheap, but will give you a performance increase.

Flip your lid. It's free and will give you a bit more airflow.

Upgraded coil, cam, headers, and other goodies are available... just depends on what you want to spend.

I'll be in VA Beach the first week in September. If you want to meet up and trade ideas, we can have a mini-meet. I'm meeting one other person with a 3g as well at the beach.

-5150 :bandit:

PhydeauX
08-22-2002, 10:17 PM
Build the motor and swap it into one of the 84s. Don't mind me, I just like 2nd gens. Efi isn't an easy conversion to do on a gen2 unless you happend to get your hands on a SE-i or dont mind frankensteining harnesses. There is always the option of useing the LX-i motor with a LX manifold. Drop on a weber DGV carb and you have some fun on your hands.

andy

87pimpsterdocious
08-22-2002, 11:26 PM
Its an Lxi guys, not a carbed car. Anyway, now that that's out of the way, good overall mods are intake, header, and exhaust system from the catalytic convertor back. Start there, get a tune up, NGK sparkplugs and change all fluids etc.

Sabz5150
08-23-2002, 03:51 AM
:banghead: Bah! His profile said it was an LX...

-5150 :bandit:

VaLxBuilder
08-23-2002, 06:06 AM
Pimpster is right, my future project is a 87 LXi - fuelie, - my daily beater is the 2nd gen. 84lx carbed, with the 84 sedan a parts car for it.
I really would like to get a 16 valve dohc head on the PROJECT car.

smufguy
08-23-2002, 04:03 PM
throw the engine out, get a B18. get placeracing mounts. spend about 1500 bucks (as in getting a decent used car) clean your carns engine bay with some degreaser. up and awya, u will be kicking ass. and from there on. get headers for your b18, new muffler, highflow cat, short shifter, and later on, u still got money get cam. baby u will be kicking ass with a twin cam or to say DOHC. :flip: