PDA

View Full Version : Thrust washer?

BITESIZE
03-27-2006, 07:19 PM
So what do thrust washers do...they are on the middle crank journal?? If I'm changing the rod bearings and main bearings, should I change the thrust washers?

88Accord-DX
03-27-2006, 07:29 PM
It keeps the crankshaft from forward or backward movement. I would replace the thrust washers, since you got all new parts in there. You can mount a dial indicator on the end of the block, put the tip of the indicator on the end of the crank, pry back & forth on the crank to determine if the play is too excessive.

BITESIZE
03-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Is there just one size of thrust washers?

B16KILLA
03-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Thrust washers are used to control crankshaft endplay, They do sell them in different sizes oversized and undersized. If you've had your crankshaft bearing journals align bored then I'm pretty sure you'll need the undersized bearings, it might sound weird but its backwards.

BITESIZE
03-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Coolio THanks!

88Accord-DX
03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
With the main bearing caps on & thrust washer installed. The only good way to find out the tolerance on them is to use a dial indicator monted on the end of the crank & pry back & forth. Since the dial indictor is a little pricey.

You can leave the 3rd main bearing cap off & all the others installed. With the old thrust washer in the top side of the block. (Block would need to be out the car & upside down) Pry the crank forward, stick a feeler gauge in between the thrust washer & connecting rod. That will give you close measument of thrust bearing wear (end play) without buying a dial indicator.

New standard size thrust washers should be suffecient enough if you ask me.

BITESIZE
03-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I've got the block outa the car and on a stand btw. So yah, i think i'll get all standard bearings. I already plastigaged the rods and mains...

newaccorddriver
10-14-2006, 10:53 PM
i hate to bump up this old thread, but does anyone here know off the top of their head, which way the thrust washers supposed to face? there is one side with a groove, and one side without. the manual i have doesnt say anything about that.

BITESIZE
10-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Groove faces the inside I think?

newaccorddriver
10-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Groove faces the inside I think?

can you put it in a perspective as in the thrust washers face each other or dont face each other? sorry for my semi noobness, its been over a year since i rebuilt an engine

newaccorddriver
10-15-2006, 08:38 PM
anyone?