PDA

View Full Version : smoking after putting oil in my car

Jerren
05-06-2002, 03:32 PM
and i'm not talking about marlboro reds in a box either. the other night i put about three thingies of oil in my car because when i checcked my oil level my car and noticed she was dehydrated. so ne who, after driving about 20miles some white smoke came out of my exhaust pipe. this happened last year after putting oil in my car as well. i used 5w-30 or whatever. or it might have been 10w-30. whatever it was, i asked the guy at autozone to look it up for me so it was the correct kind of oil. any ideas of whats going on?

87accordlxi
05-06-2002, 03:34 PM
you may have put too much in. our cars only take a little under 4 quarts. how much oil was on the dipstick when you checked it?

87accordlxph
05-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Sounds like the same prob my youngest bro has w/ his
car. His car leaks oil all over the place like his gaskets are
gone or have already deteriorated.

This is really bad! I'm thinking that antifreeze and water is
mixing in w/ the fuel and air. But when I checked the oil
I didn't see brown "chocolate milk" color in the engine.
Could it possibly be the O2 sensor is at fault here or
do we have internal engine damage?
:(
I'd say check the plugs to answer this one.

Jerren, I was going to post this prob as well but you beat me to it.

So let's see if I have all the sights and smells of exhaust colors that indicate engine probs

WHITE - ANTIFREEZE AND WATER MIXING - O2 SENSOR
BLUE - OIL BURNING - WORN ENGINE PARTS
BLACK - RICH MIXTURE - TOO MUCH GAS AND NOT ENOUGH AIR

-MIKE

Jerren
05-06-2002, 05:18 PM
the dipstick was bone dry. i dont know how my car was still running. so i put 3... uhhh thingies (bottles) of oil in. but this most recent time i had checked to see how much coolant i had in my radiator. i guess i didnt twist the cap down all the way, so when i parked my car and got out and i saw the green liquid streaming from beneath my car. i popped the hood and saw the anti freeze every where. i screwed the cap down tight and refilled later. now i'm not sure if that may have been part of the reason for the smoke.

hondaisthebest
05-06-2002, 07:46 PM
Now you car is still makings smoke??
Do you have a bad idle speed or problem of acceleration?
Do you have oil in the coolant?
Because if soo maybe you head gasket is finish.
Running low in oil is very bad for your valve and gasket.

Check your oil level when the car is cold! If you put to much
oil i suggest to drain.

RyanLXi
05-06-2002, 07:59 PM
you should dump all the oil out replace the filter put in some fresh oil (i recommeend Mobil 1 tri synthetic) start it and let run at about 2 grand for 5 minutes then take it for a little drive on the freeway and that probably should do it unless you have a serious problem

Jerren
05-06-2002, 09:01 PM
i haven't noticed any more smoke. so hopefully its gone now. i'm due for an oil change soon any who so hopefully it'll get taken care of then.