PDA

View Full Version : Heater Hose Question

DBMaster
03-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, I guess I should have replaced all my coolant hoses because after 17 years they are starting to go one at a time. I blew a little four inch connector hose a few weeks ago. Two days ago I thought that my lower radiator hose blew, but it actually turned out to be the upper heater hose. I discovered that after buying a new upper and lower hose (Gates brand). I fixed the heater hose for the time being by cutting off a couple of inches and using a better clamp because rest of the hose appears sound.

To make a long story short I want to replace the heater hoses, too. Are there any sources for reputable brand molded heater hoses other than Majestic Honda?

Gracias, amigos!

AC439
03-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Well. My heater host blew 4 yrs ago and I had steam coming out from the engine. Luckily I was very close to home so I pulled into the parking lot of a skating rink. After that, I was watching coolant dripping down to the ground. Wife picked me up. The next day, I went back to the rink and drove my car home DRY. It was only 3 miles so the car was fine.

Long story short, I wanted to go cheap and didn't want to get original Honda hoses. I ended up getting generic hose (from Advanced auto, can't remember if it was 5/8 or 1/2 inch), cut them to length and put them in. I remember I had to run one of the hoses slightly differently from the original hose. I can't recall which one cause it was 4 years ago. But the hoses still holding up well and no signs of leaking at all. -AC

DBMaster
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
I thought about going generic. The routing of the top hose would work OK, but I like to keep things as neat as possible. It just seems ridiculous to pay more for the heater hoses than for both radiator hoses combined.

AC439
03-29-2006, 08:42 AM
I thought about going generic. The routing of the top hose would work OK, but I like to keep things as neat as possible. It just seems ridiculous to pay more for the heater hoses than for both radiator hoses combined.

That's exactly why I went generic. I remember after I tried a few different runs, I finally figured out a way to get the hoses in without rubbing any other things around. My concern was if the hoses are rubbing against something, it will be a problem, eventually. As long as they don't rub on anything else, I wouldn't mind if the hose run is a little longer than the original.

Blkblurr
03-29-2006, 09:36 AM
What I do when I want to go generic for a molded hose is use standard hose (straight) and put angled fittings I find at Lowes or home depot to make the bends. This keeps the hose from collapsing when you make tight turns.

DBMaster
03-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Now, why didn't I think of that! I used angle fittings like that on an old Pinto that belonged to my ex-wife years ago. I'll bet that actually makes for a very nice looking setup.