PDA

View Full Version : mein Kampf

LXi_tuner
03-29-2006, 07:35 AM
ok...i have been having some strange problems with my 3gen accord....
here they are
-CV joints going out like crazy
-strange oil leaks
-suspension wierd...
--------------
now first off, has anyone here had to change thier CV joints, for lack of a better word, a lot... in the past about 8 months (since i got the car) i havwe had to change the left CV joint/shaft twice and the right one once...
is this like a 3rdgen accord problem, or is it just mine...:wtf:
-------
second, me and my dad rebuilt the engine ground up, so everything is fairly new, and should be ok...but there is an oil leak that we cant find, it looks like it is coming from the right rear side of the engine, maybe near the oil pan, but i dont think its the oil pan because the gasket around the rim is new and the pan has been tightened down...
so is there some invisible oil path near that part of the engine or what...
also, the oil drips down onto the exhaust pipe...were the steel braiding would be...
----------------------
anyway, any info would be great...

shepherd79
03-29-2006, 08:07 AM
1st. CV joints- Most likely you got bad CV joints. Where are you buying them, autozone? Autozone sells bad CV joints all the time. I had a few from them on my car and i had to replace it twice.
2nd. I know exactly where the oil is leaking from. It is leaking from oil filter base. Just replace the O-ring and you will be set to go.

Blkblurr
03-29-2006, 09:41 AM
The oil could be leaking from the hose that goes between the PCV filter box and the oil pan. Mine leaks from there and I discovered it after I replaced the oil pan gasket and the oil filter gasket. I also go bad axles from Advance Auto. One out of three I purchased was bad. By the way, whats with the title of this thread???

89AccordResto
03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
By the way, whats with the title of this thread???

I was wondering the same thing. :wtf:

getready
03-29-2006, 10:08 AM
"my struggles/problems" in german

it was the title of hitler's most famous book

89AccordResto
03-29-2006, 10:23 AM
"my struggles/problems" in german

it was the title of hitler's most famous book

Yes I know, but most people associate a title like that to Hitler. Do you want to be associated with Hitler?!?

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2006, 11:26 AM
bring the topic back in, guys...

where in FL are you?

and yeah, it's not that uncommon to get a bad axle. i've gotten one bad one from advance, but it's not really that big of a deal to change them once you learn how. i can do it in about an hour each side.

LXi_tuner
03-30-2006, 07:40 AM
no i dont want to be associated with hitler...i just chose that to bring more attention to my thread...
alright i will check my oil filter o-ring and yeah, all of my CV joint have came from advance auto...
-------
also i am from callahan, which is north of jacksonville if you didnt know...where around palatka are you from???

speedpenguin
03-30-2006, 07:50 AM
I don't know if you have an Olympic or something around you, but if you get straight-up OEM replacements, it shouldn't be a problem. Try replacing the entire axle instead of just the joint (if you can even replace just the joint, I'm not sure you can. Hondas often wear out CV joints faster than other cars, but not that fast.

Blkblurr
03-30-2006, 08:07 AM
I had 220,000 miles on mine before one of them wore out.

LXi_tuner
03-30-2006, 11:00 AM
i do replace the entire shaft...i just call it a CV joint...

speedpenguin
03-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Makes sense to me. Like I said, I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to replace just the joint on our cars.

LXi_tuner
03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
prob not...because then you would have to take the boot off and then take the joint apart...put the new one on, put grease or whatever in the boot, and then put it back on....
prob number 1...the joint, i dont think they come apart....and also, it would be so much work, why waste the time....oh well

Vanilla Sky
03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
i built one axle out of spare parts in a pinch after i broke one. i had to get a boot kit and grease, but it worked perfectly.

i'm in east palatka, to be specific

spnrx
03-30-2006, 10:05 PM
I think my CV joint went out I think. How will I know wether or not it has gone out. I'm learning alot quick with all the things I've changed on this car lol. But what should I look for?

88Accord-DX
03-30-2006, 10:32 PM
I think my CV joint went out I think. How will I know wether or not it has gone out. I'm learning alot quick with all the things I've changed on this car lol. But what should I look for?
You can grab the axle just behind the CV joint & jerk it back & forth for play in the joint. Also, when your driving & take corners at a slow speed, you can hear a clunk/pop noise.

LXi_tuner
03-31-2006, 07:03 AM
yeah like dude said, you here a lot of clicking at low speed turns..

speedpenguin
03-31-2006, 09:01 AM
i built one axle out of spare parts in a pinch after i broke one. i had to get a boot kit and grease, but it worked perfectly.

i'm in east palatka, to be specific
Got more info on that? I'd like to know how you pulled it off, it sounds cool.

Vanilla Sky
03-31-2006, 06:56 PM
the inner joint can be taken apart. the outer joint can't be.

basically, you remove the two clamp rings, push the boot off of the outer housing (cup), remove the cup, remove the 3 bearings, clean it all, repack it all, and put it back together. took about 40 minutes to do. it was a shame it only cost about $20 less than the reman axle, but i did purchase a different grease than what was included with the boot kit and i did purchase the bootkit at honda (the one from the parts store was like $13, the one from honda was $32).

all in all, the remans aren't bad if you don't have to return one because it's bad.

speedpenguin
03-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Good to know, thanks! :)