PDA

View Full Version : Help!

EducatedFool
03-29-2006, 09:47 AM
hey guys, i really need to know the exact location of the bolt i need to take out in order to put oil into my manual tranny. i drive an 86 DX, and it needs oil bad, i just don't know what bolt i need to take out to put the oil in.

lostforawhile
03-29-2006, 11:24 AM
theres a big bolt that takes a 17 mm wrench I believe,It looks like an oil drain plug,right below it on the bottom of the trany is a bolt that takes a wierd square drive,the lower one is the drain,you put the square end of a 3/8 drive rachet right in the hole to remove the drain, look for the great big bolt above it. it;s hard to miss. once you find the fill,you need a funnel with a long tube on it,like the kind they fill outboard units with.you put the end of the tube in the hole on the side of the tranny and fill it until oil just starts to run out.

EducatedFool
03-29-2006, 11:44 AM
you're the man! thanks alot

lostforawhile
03-29-2006, 12:06 PM
my chart shows different weight oils for different climates as far as the transmission,I just run regular 10w30 motor oil,seems to work fine. why is your oil low? have you checked for leaks?

EducatedFool
03-29-2006, 05:03 PM
its low because the guy that sold it to me (a mechanic) told me that he didn't put enough in when he drained and refilled it.

lostforawhile
03-29-2006, 05:23 PM
ok when you fill it it helps to be outside,if you overfill it it will run out the fill hole until it's level with the bottom edge of the hole. some people try to fill it from the speedometer sensor hole,but its hard to get the level right from there.