PDA

View Full Version : Door handles

Coy
03-29-2006, 02:06 PM
im not a fan of all the chrome stuff on these cars, when i first got the car i made it my first goal to get rid of all of the chrome on it. well im still workin on it due to that crazy thing called life. lol

most of it hasnt been a problem, colour matching it with the rest of teh black all and prepping it and whatnot. the only problem ive come across is teh door handles and the chrome strip right under the door windows. well the strip i think i have a solution, but the doors im still a little confuzzled. i originally attempted to remove them and repaint them just as i did with the rest of the chrome, but i never figured out how to get them off. this is still what i would prefer to do and the main point of the post. not if i can get them off i would more rather replace them with 3g handles if they would fit.

my other idea was to mask off the whole side of the car and paint them on the car still. well, that worked but they wherent so easy to prep and not the paint is peeling off. unfortuneately right after i did this to one side i had another great idea... to get some scrap vinyl in black and attach it just to where the metal was.

ok, cliff notes.... lol
what would you do?
remove them and paint the whole thing, leave tehm on and vinyl the metal, remove them and replace with 3g, or scrape off the paint and say fuck that shit. keep in mind i had major issues trying to get them off the car and still havent figured out how.

offthahook
03-29-2006, 05:31 PM
They are near impossible to get off. Damn hard, plus you will bend them and probably gouge your car's metal. I have always masked them off and hit them with a durable FLAT black. I've had good luck, but they are tricky to prep right. Green pad and some Krylon Fusion might work for ya.

Coy
03-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Krylon fusion is for plastic isnt it? its not the plastic part im worried about its the metal shiny part.

offthahook
03-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Krylon fusion is for plastic isnt it? its not the plastic part im worried about its the metal shiny part.

I believe it will work on that metal silver part. I think Krylon brand flat black would be your best bet, even if it isn't Fusion. I can't recall if Fusion is just for plastics. DO NOT get gloss finish or it will look horrible, IMO.

Coy
03-29-2006, 05:49 PM
IIRC fusion is for plastic.

gloss is what ive been using. it looked good till it flaked off.

im using the high temp engine spray that you get at advance auto parts and O'reillys on all my trim work.

offthahook
03-29-2006, 06:37 PM
IIRC fusion is for plastic.

gloss is what ive been using. it looked good till it flaked off.

im using the high temp engine spray that you get at advance auto parts and O'reillys on all my trim work.

That's been my experience with the gloss stuff. It seems to peel or flake off much easier. That high temp stuff is pretty durable and should work out fine. Is it gloss or flat? Just curious.

Coy
03-29-2006, 06:40 PM
im using gloss. at first i was using semigloss on everything, and on the bumpers im still using semigloss.

it only flaked off on the handles where i got it too heavy, and on all the other trim work ive done in gloss the paint stuck great and is still sticking great.

2ndGenGuy
03-30-2006, 10:12 AM
I've always wondered what it would look like with no chrome. You should post some pics when you're all done with it.

Coy
03-30-2006, 10:45 AM
oh, i definately will. it may be a little while ive got bigger issues right now.

<--picture whore.