PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake for carbed 3g

Mike's89AccordLX
08-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Is it posible to make one for my carbed 89 accord lx? I know the air inlet stock is in the front passenger side fender. Could I just put like a K&N cone filter on the stock air inlet? Would that give me any hp gains?:rice: :wtf:

Mike's89AccordLX
08-22-2002, 10:32 PM
Or if anyone can tell me how to make a custom air intake for my car that would be extremely helpful (I don't know where the hell to start. never did an air intake for a carbed car before) your imput would be very helpful. Thanks

Mike's89AccordLX
08-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Someone help me out please:banghead:

A20A1
08-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Hey mike it's mike... with an 89 lx. :D
Just keep an eye open in the carb tech forum... but for now just visit my website... click on the www icon below this post

staticpat
08-23-2002, 07:20 AM
i tried the k&n filter on the inlet, and i had no power gain whatsoever. better off rigging your own. there are a ton of recent posts on making your own, just search the board.
<----- thats mine.

Mike's89AccordLX
08-23-2002, 07:25 AM
Whoa that looks sweet. I'm assuming you have to take the airbox completely off. I think I might have and idea how you rigged that up but not certain. Looks nice though. :super:

Mike's89AccordLX
08-23-2002, 08:36 AM
If you custom make your intake like staticpat has don't you have to hook up a heater hose to the air intake? (the little hose that looks like it's coming from the headers area) I searched the carb forums and I couldn't find any ways to make a custom air intake. It would really help if you told me the parts and sizes I would need. My dads an auto body person so I would be able to put a hood scoop on my car to get more air in the engine. And if you guys want me to have my dad try some of your sweet ideas on my car I will get a hold of a digital camera and show you guys your awesome ideas and the good work my dad can do. :super:

A20A1
08-23-2002, 02:16 PM
Make ram air then... just put a grill in the scoop to catch large objects and a thin foam filter to clean out smaller ones. you'll also have to build a sturdy support for the foam or it will get sucked into the carb... :D I used to do that all the time and I wondered why my car stalled.

staticpat
08-23-2002, 09:06 PM
yeah, i would have defintely gone ram air if i didn't mind damaging my hood.

toastyghost
08-23-2002, 10:00 PM
Can you convert a Civic intake as in the howto and then custom make a carb cap for it? Or is the length to the manifold different between carb and EFI?

staticpat
08-24-2002, 08:07 AM
im sure you could, but since your gonna be doing the work to make the cap anyway. might as well save some money and make the whole thing yourself.

Mike's89AccordLX
08-24-2002, 11:35 AM
I'm going to buy a nice intake off ebay and make the cap. I was looking on ebay last night and I saw that they had filters + adapters. But I don't know what those adapters are for. Didn't look like the ones staticpat or A20A1 had. But anyways when you make the cap to go on the carb with the alluminum sheets, how do you attach the cap to the carb? Do you screw it on somehow? Let me know how you did that guys. Thanks again for helping me out with this intake project. While i'm doing to the hardware store i'm going to see if I can find a mazda 626 chin spoiler to replace the one someone stole from me. :beer: