PDA

View Full Version : Failed State Inspection!

1989 Lxi Coupe
08-23-2002, 05:18 AM
I cant believe it! My baby failed. They said I hade to get the Header Gasket replaced and get a new muffler installed. However I do have about 35 days till it runs out. The mechanics had major trouble tracking down parts for my Automatic (:gay: ) Lxi Coupe. It was like $230 for the muffler and $320 for the header gasket!! Even the mechanic was shocked. Thats just for parts too. Anyways, I have found performance parts for less ( guess my new 17' rims are being put on hold :crying: ) , so I told him I'd buy the parts myself and bring her back later to be fixed. I can install exhaust system myself, but I need then to install the header. As a relitivly newbie in the automotive game I am asking for your guys help. :bow: Does pacesetter make good products? Because they have fairly cheap ceramic headers and 2.25 in cat back exhaust at nopi.com. If not, can you guys point me to better (and not outragesly priced) parts? I'd really appriate it. I'd only like bolt ons as well, however I belive thats pretty standard for these parts. Thank You :)

1989 Lxi Coupe
08-23-2002, 05:37 AM
I've been looking around and how much better are DC sports headers then pacesetter?

1988starter
08-23-2002, 06:49 AM
Do not get their catback it blows but their ceramic header is good. For a muffler summit racing sella a dynomax superturbo muffler for 32.99 it kicks ass also advanced autoparts has it for 39.99 get a custom catback it is not too expensive. Just go to any muffler shop. Look on ebay for head gaskets just look here many gaskets and well pacesetter should come with it own gaskets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1853422070

Lets Review Get the pacesetter header not the catback. And do get ceramic. Go to a muffler shop get a Dynomax Superturbo muffler catback 2.25 mandrel bent pipes. And Do not get the Pacesetter catback. Good luck

1988starter
08-23-2002, 06:50 AM
Dc sport have a true flex section 30 dollar mod and they are currently on a 3 month back order.

1989 Lxi Coupe
08-23-2002, 01:44 PM
Ok, thanks for the help. Just picked up my car and it needs a rear muffler and a front exhaust flex pipe. I would still like to do a full exhaust system however. If I pick up the ceramic header and the muffler will someplace like midas be able to craft a front flex pipe? Also, does anyone know the exaxt size muffler we need off the top of your head? If not I'll go look it up tommorow. What about a high flow cat? Should I look into one? Any Input or tips will be greatly appriated. As well as price estimates. Thank You.

1988starter
08-23-2002, 01:48 PM
Yea midas could do it also I have a 2.5 inlet on dynomax and 2.5 outlet offset in center out. I like my highflow cat got one from www.nopi.com.

The pacesetter has a front pipe but it is a boll joint with springs not a mesh flex section.

Midas can tell you what size muffler but it depends a lot on the pipe size also adapters can be made.

smufguy
08-23-2002, 03:56 PM
pacesetter ceramic headers sucks. and anways, did u say header gasket or head gasket?

1988starter
08-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
pacesetter ceramic headers sucks. and anways, did u say header gasket or head gasket?

Why do you think they are so bad

1989 Lxi Coupe
08-28-2002, 07:32 PM
Ok, I ordered a ceramic DC sports header and a pacesetter high flow cat from nopi.com . When they get here (hopefully soon) sould i just take it all to midas so they can make the piping to fit and recommend a muffler size? Or should I order the muffler 1st and take everything there at once. Thanks.

PS: I decided on the DC sports header after finding out that they came with the mesh flex tube instead of the ball/joint type.

anchovies
08-29-2002, 12:09 AM
I don't think they have the DC headers in stock. And DC has backorders for it.
Your best bet is to check the ebay one. One of the post in this section.

1988starter
08-29-2002, 06:48 AM
Yea your DC sport will probably be on back order for a while and a place called monroe muffler quoted me 30 bucks to replace the balljoint with a mesh section.

1989 Lxi Coupe
08-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Great... both the header AND the high flow cat are outta stock... well i kinda expected this... oh well...