PDA

View Full Version : quick SAFC + MSD question

bobafett
04-01-2006, 12:52 PM
I have MSD blaster SS coil and MSD 6A ignition module on the car.
it has been hooked up and working happily for years.

Now I am adding SAFC-II. I need tach signal wire for this device to work. Now my MSD has a 'tach output' spade connecter on it, but I believe that is meant for aftermarket tachs and the like. I just need a signal to my SAFC (dont know if this would be different than what an autometer gauge would want).

Simple question mode:

Can I hook up the 'tach signal' to the negative side of the coil? Or do I need to hook up the 'tach output' on my MSD and buy one of those tach signal converters?

Thanks in advance guys...

AccordEpicenter
04-01-2006, 05:29 PM
use the blue wire with white tracer coming out of your dizzy

w00tw00t111
04-01-2006, 09:10 PM
is there anyreason to not use the msd one epicenter? or is it one of those use the source so you get as acurate a signal as possible things?

bobafett
04-02-2006, 08:30 AM
i have msd coil, msd ignition module.

thanks for the replies. :)

guaynabo89
04-02-2006, 06:41 PM
I used to tach out on my msd and it woked fine on the safc2. I switch it to the icm wire though when I went obd1

BITESIZE
04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
What the hell is SAFC!?!??

bobafett
04-02-2006, 10:03 PM
did you run tach output from msd directly to the SAFC or did you have to run a tach signal converter of some sort? right now i have the wire on the negative side of the coil. but honestly, i think all three spots are the same.

the wire that accord epicenter suggested gets spliced in by the white wire on the MSD, so i could tap into the white wire on the msd. and since im assuming the electrical signal is going to be similar on the coil (after being amplified by msd) the negative coil wire is gonna be the same, and also im betting that the tach out on the msd is just a clean way of getting to that signal. who knows. ill try it the way i have it, and if it reads funny i will try another spot.

do you guys know if i start up the car without configuring the safc will it affect anything? i want to just go drive it and get it broken in without safc. :P

guaynabo89
04-03-2006, 02:09 PM
What the hell is SAFC!?!??

lol

did you run tach output from msd directly to the SAFC or did you have to run a tach signal converter of some sort? right now i have the wire on the negative side of the coil. but honestly, i think all three spots are the same.

the wire that accord epicenter suggested gets spliced in by the white wire on the MSD, so i could tap into the white wire on the msd. and since im assuming the electrical signal is going to be similar on the coil (after being amplified by msd) the negative coil wire is gonna be the same, and also im betting that the tach out on the msd is just a clean way of getting to that signal. who knows. ill try it the way i have it, and if it reads funny i will try another spot.

do you guys know if i start up the car without configuring the safc will it affect anything? i want to just go drive it and get it broken in without safc. :P

Well with the safc2 you can change the display and i set mine up for the two gauge look and one of those was a tachometer and it was consistent with the stock tach in the dash.

I had mine setup by this guy wo installs em like crazy at a local shop without tuning but he made some slight changes in fuel and it made a big difference.

I think if you go through the setup procedure when first installed and leave fuel corrections atr 0 all around it would work witout modifying the map sensor.

also you could just bypass the map signal so it doesnt go through the afc until you get it setup

bobafett
04-03-2006, 02:30 PM
sounds reasonable. so you used the tach out on the msd WITHOUT using any tach signal adapter, correct?

guaynabo89
04-04-2006, 03:06 PM
sounds reasonable. so you used the tach out on the msd WITHOUT using any tach signal adapter, correct?

correct