PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make direct 6.5" baskets for our car?

FyreDaug
04-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Well weather has been nicer to me so I decided to see if I can replace the shitty alpine front speakers with my 6.5" mb quarts I bought last year. I dont remember exactly how I did it before on my 87 4door, but it was kinda ghetto fabbed in there, when it was done, it looked and sounded great. But Im having issues getting them in my 2dr hatch

Are there any 6.5" mounting plates or brackets or anything? They arent exactly "shallow mount" but I had them in there before without being in the way of the window, so Im sure I can do it again. But instead of doing a ghetto fab job I would be interested in purchasing something to make my 6.5"s fit. I dont have access to anything to do it myself this time, so purchase would be nice.

And Ive got a pair of mpyre 6.5" subs going in the 6.5's in the back. 200w each added to my big 12 and these mbq up front I should have a good sounding system again. Get rid of this alpine shit.:help:

ghettogeddy
04-02-2006, 08:53 AM
not that i know about but all u have to do is cut out the back of the basket

Whistler225
04-02-2006, 09:38 AM
they do make adapters/spacers for speakers like yours. try this link:
http://www.installer.com/speakerparts/

I'm working on installing my Pioneer 6x9's in my rear deck. I'll be buying those 1 1/2" spacers to give my speakers a firm mounting surface, as opposed to the towels I have holding them up now. The spacer will allow me to install my 6x9's without cutting the sheet metal on my back deck. I won't be able to use the stock speaker covers, but I have the Pioneer covers that came with the speakers. You might be able to reinstall the stock covers over the adapters/spacers you buy for your speakers, but don't be suprised if they puch the speaker out too far for that. You might want to measure your mounting depth (the distance between the mounting surface where the holes are and the back of your voice coil), and compare it to the depth you have to the back of the speaker basket. Buy the slimmest adapter/spacer that will give you clearance, which will also give you your best chance of reinstalling the factory speaker grills. Worst case scenario: like Ghetto said you can cut out the back of the basket, or you could cut out the grill section of the speaker cover and use the after-market cover that comes with your speakers. If you cut out the back of the basket, just make sure your voice coil isn't in the way of the window when it's down. The basket is there for a reason.

89AccordResto
04-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Pick up some metra brand mounts from best buy for a 95-99 neon. They should work fine.

ghettogeddy
04-02-2006, 11:44 AM
well i was wrong i thought these cars came with stock 6 1/2 i had to cut out the front baskets for my 5 1/4

MessyHonda
04-02-2006, 08:09 PM
well when my mom got the car they had a cassate player installed....after i got some money i got a nice cd player with MP3... the speakers sounded kinda crapy so i went out and got some cheap 6.5 inch speakers they were only 25 bucks...i took out the 5 1/4 inch speakers out and i put in my 6.5 inch...the back of the speaker was big so i screwed them in but its like hovering....they still sound good until one of the grills hit and it made a bad rattle...i took out the grill and hit it from the inside out and now it does not rattle...you should not have alot of problems...if you want do it the right way get a dremel and cut out the hole

HondaBoy
04-02-2006, 10:56 PM
i swear my old front door speakers were the 6.5 inch ones. i measured the front and rear ones and they were the same size. even when they were laid cone to cone, the rear were the same size as the rear. i wonder why they would make them different on differnt bodys. probably even on the same body and trim level. oh, and i have 6.5 inch front speakers now so i cant really explain that.

FyreDaug
04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
That link at http://www.installer.com/speakerparts/ which one should I use? The top universal ones? Not a bad price

Whistler225
04-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I hear you HondaBoy. According to Crutchfield, our cars came with either 5.25 or 6.5" speakers. No way to know until you take the grill off I guess. Although I would imagine it probably had something to do with the model (say my LX, which has all the power goodies on it, versus another model with fewer creature comforts....the baser model probably came with smaller speakers up front). That's just a guess though. I know my front speakers are 6.5"

Whistler225
04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Fyre: just remember, I don't know if those spacers will push the speakers out too far to reinstall the factory speaker grills. They seem to come out a pretty good ways from the door panel, but I don't really know just how much clearance there is in there. If all else fails, you could get some speakers that have a shorter top mounting measurement. ;-)

FyreDaug
04-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Theres no way im trading in these reference speakers for something more shallow. Im not too worried about factory speaker grills anyways, they can be modified to fit if need be. its good its 1" mounting depth because these speakers are almost 3" deep 0.o, they would totally hit the windows right now, so ill get those put in and see where we go

forrest89sei
04-03-2006, 08:17 PM
i swear my old front door speakers were the 6.5 inch ones. i measured the front and rear ones and they were the same size. even when they were laid cone to cone, the rear were the same size as the rear. i wonder why they would make them different on differnt bodys. probably even on the same body and trim level. oh, and i have 6.5 inch front speakers now so i cant really explain that.

My 86 LX came stock with 6.5's all around

I know because my stock paper cones died so I picked up some cheap poly cone 6.5's and they went it with no problems.

jonrichert
04-03-2006, 08:33 PM
word, i've got 6.5's all around, and my car is as base-model as they come. just hit up the junkyard for some different panels.

FyreDaug
04-04-2006, 07:15 AM
hmm, mine are 5.25" Damn canadian cars, changing all over.

Sabz5150
04-04-2006, 07:55 AM
hmm, mine are 5.25" Damn canadian cars, changing all over.

I have 6.5's all around as well.

It ain the Canadians.

FyreDaug
04-04-2006, 09:31 AM
:| Well im gonna buy that universal adapter and call it a day. Godda tune my sub in its new box soon too. Then we'll be good. Too bad I dont have an amp for the mbq's :|

ghettogeddy
04-04-2006, 09:41 AM
well my car came stock with 6 1/2's and i put 5 1/4's in u might want to try just cuttin ou the back side of the black baskit and making your own ring cause if i remeber correctly my mounts had holes for both sizes i dident have to drill new holes

FyreDaug
04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
The adapters are on their way, ill post in here with any success I have. Keep in mind these are very deep speakers (reference class mb quart)

Whistler225
04-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Fyre: good deal. I just ordered my spacers and baffles today. Hopefully they'll be shipped as quickly as your were. Let me know how long they take to get to you!

FyreDaug
04-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Took them about 19hours before I got the email saying they were shipped. No sure how long they say. I imagine they are US based because they said "yes we ship to canada" so I bet youll get yours first

Whistler225
04-06-2006, 03:14 PM
eh, we'll see. They ship either Priority Mail (US Postal Service) or UPS according to the website. I would imagine in your case it will be UPS.....could be either for me.....anyways, if I do get mine forst I'll post my results.

FyreDaug
04-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Ok cool, hopefully its all direct bolt up

Whistler225
04-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are MB Quarts? I haven't heard of them.

Finally bought a pair of decent (not great) Pioneer 6.5" for my front doors....They beat the crap out of the old factory speakers that were in there. Luckily I had 6.5" stock, so mine bolted right in.

I actually think I messed up when I ordered my baffles. I ordered the 6x9, since the rear deck speakers I'm using are 6x9's, but the mounting holes are 6.5" (which is why I ordered the spacers). Oh well....I was going to have to drill holes in the rear deck to mount the speakers anyway....I'll just have to use longer screws so I can attach the baffles underneath.

So my current setup is:

Sony CDX-GT200 (mp3, aux input...not a bad little head unit for 110 bucks)
Pioneer 6x9's rear
Pioneer 6.5's front

Has anyone ever put speakers in the back doors on the four doors? Is it worthwhile? I might just buy an amp and a sub for the trunk and call it good enough...I listen to rock, so I don't really need a high dollar system.

Sabz5150
04-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are MB Quarts? I haven't heard of them.

They're good (and expensive) speakers.

FyreDaug
04-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I paid a good 400 bucks (with shipping) for my mbquart speakers.... www.mbquart.com

High end stuff, next to focal

EDIT: BTW, oval speakers suck, they flex funny under high volumes (slightly) but im an audiophile... so ive trained myself to listen to wierd things like that, and amp clipping you can kind of hear aswell

Whistler225
04-07-2006, 05:48 PM
huh....never noticed anything wierd about my 6x9's.....I've always thought they sounded pretty good. Been a musician most of my life, but I know that isn't the same as an audiophile....most audiophiles I know also listen to their stereos on flat eq's....I sure don't.

When you say they flex funny....what do you mean? How does it change the sound? I want to see if I can detect it....

Soundy
04-08-2006, 10:14 PM
6x9s are an abomination; oval speakers (5x7s and 4x10s as well) are hack designs that never should have come into existence in the first place.

Quarts are wicked speakers - you pay a lot, but you definitely get what you pay for. Best of all, they really stand behind their product. The one drawback to them is they tend to have really oddly-shaped, over-sized baskets that are hard to fit in a lot of stock cutouts. We used to drop shallow 6.5s, like Yamahas and Alpines, into Honda doors without a problem when I was working in car audio (1990-91, when the 3Gs were still shiny and new!), but Quarts always required a lot of hacking and cutting - for the ones I have, I had to not only hack the entire back off the door basket, I had to grind two extra slots into its rim for the speaker's basket....

But yes, the stock door mounts ARE 6.5".

Whistler225
04-09-2006, 04:20 AM
well crap....wish someone had told me that when I bought those Pioneer 6x9's 5 years ago.

I've been tinkering with the idea of putting a pair of 6.5" subs in my back deck and building a box or putting baffles in the trunk under them. Has anyone tried this? I have tried to find 6.5" subs online without much success (except the Bazooka tubes). Anyone know where I might find some? I was thinking about doing that and then putting a set of mid level components in the front. I don't need anything high end....I just want the stereo to sound decent and give me good bass response playing rock music.

Soundy
04-09-2006, 10:59 AM
ISTR Kicker used to have a 6.5 sub... doesn't look like they do anymore.

Here's one site in the UK that has one:
http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Audio/6_Inch_Subwoofers/6_inch_subwoofers.html

What you could do is build a baffle under the rear deck and put cutouts for 8" subs lined up with the stock speaker holes, and just leave those speakers out. Mount the subs to the bottom of the baffle so the cones can move up through the holes and the baffle will give you some clearance to the deck.

The trick is, your baffle has to pretty much cover the full area of your deck, or you'll lose a lot of bass response. You also need to make sure you have subs designed for infinite-baffle setups.

Whistler225
04-09-2006, 11:11 AM
*chuckles* sounds like alot of work. I think I'll stick with the original plan of buying a sub/box/amp kit and be happy with that. There are more pressing issues with my car at the moment (like the fact that 3 exhaust manifold nuts appear to be MIA....just found that this morning, along with a missing mounting bolt on the AC compressor, and the fact that my exhaust manifold shroud and hot air pipe are also missing).

So the sound I have will have to do for a few weeks.

FyreDaug
04-09-2006, 02:57 PM
mpyre audio is coming out with some 6.5" subs. linky: http://aerodramatics.com/cgi-bin/ac/agora.cgi?cart_id=8172166.845*4T4sX0&xm=on&product=65x&hdr=dvc

decently priced, and it'll replace those shitty alpine 2 ways in the back. Ill enough for stage in the front with my mbq's, and I have my 500w type R cutting off at 50hz with subsonic on (so it only hits 20-50hz) and I'll power those 2 speakers with my old rockford sub amp. 200w punch class amp. So I can get 100w to each 6.5" for most of the midbass and use the fronts only for vocals and stuff.... its not the same as the carputer I had in my other accord, but its a step up from what it is now

Whistler225
04-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Those look nice! 120 bucks.....ought to be a pretty damned good sub. Maybe I will rethink this idea about putting something like that in the back deck and building a box underneath.....it would be tough to seal, but I ought to be able to figure something out. Maybe a full box with holes that match the mounting hole on the back deck, and run screws into it from above....then seal around the holes with that spray foam stuff.....the deck ought to be able to support the box as long as the subs are actually mounted in the factory mounts....and maybe I could add some support for the box with L brackets....Once I get to the sound system, if I do that I'll post pics.

FyreDaug
04-10-2006, 09:15 AM
yeah just FYI as an audiophile I like my music to sound good. MBQ's for the front stage, 2 6.5"s in the back for midbass, and my 12" type R for the rest. It'll sounds nice

Whistler225
04-10-2006, 03:41 PM
that sounds good. I won't be doing quite that much. I like music, but I'm not quite as much into high end systems as you are. I just want something that sounds decent....

FyreDaug
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
My last system was a carputer with touchscreen in the dash and 400gb hard drive space with tons of music. Had optical out that I ran to a high quality home theater amp (yes in my car) and it sounded absolutely amazing. I pulled it out of my last car and dont have the time it took to install in this one, so I settle for a decent mp3 deck, with speakers mentioned.

mpyre said its about another 4 weeks before the resellers get them

Whistler225
04-10-2006, 04:36 PM
I assume a carputer is just what it sounds like. I small computer you put in the dash that has a little screen where you would normally see the stereo face. It sounds like a really neat idea, probably way too rich for my blood. I do have a laptop that I can take out to the car and has most of my tunes on it....and since I got the Sony with the aux front input, I could plug it into that....but unless I'm going to be driving a couple of hours it just wouldn't be worth it....an mp3 disk lasts me several weeks before I get bored with it, and I can always burn more.

FyreDaug
04-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I assume a carputer is just what it sounds like. I small computer you put in the dash that has a little screen where you would normally see the stereo face. It sounds like a really neat idea, probably way too rich for my blood. I do have a laptop that I can take out to the car and has most of my tunes on it....and since I got the Sony with the aux front input, I could plug it into that....but unless I'm going to be driving a couple of hours it just wouldn't be worth it....an mp3 disk lasts me several weeks before I get bored with it, and I can always burn more.

Yeah thats decent, that can be like what normal people will merge to.

Carputer, yes its quite like it sounds. I was building and selling them for a while, but demand is pretty low in my area so thats sucks. I made some cash on em for a while with people I knew.

But its a computer in a box (mine was in the back to the side in the trunk area) but Ive built ones that fit under the seat.

Typically powered by an inverter for the cheaper people, if you got the cash I suggest a DC-DC power supply and run the screen off DC aswell.

Normally use a lilliput 7" touchscreen for the interface, its not a flip down one and it only costs like 300 bucks, completely compatible with windows and software and stuff.

Typically everything installed with screen + extra cheap 4ch amp and comptuer with these specs (what I was building at the time)
Cheap Socket A+ mobo, not the LOWEST model, but in the lower 3. Athlon 2200+ chip. 256 DDR, built in sound, built in display, but people have upgraded to a mild AGP video card or an audigy sound card for a bit better oomph. Aswell as a better amp. Normally onboard has front/rear output, that you can use RCA for, so it sounds alright anyways. Typically 60gb drive, 100 and 200 were other common options. The only problem was cd drives at the time, because last year there werent a whole lot for good external firewire drives, and if there were they werent cheap, and they werent slot loading so they kinda sucked, but in order for a good external drive would cost atleast 300 bucks, most didnt go for it, just either had all cds on their drive (ripped by me for 50 bucks/50 cds) or had a combination of that, and the cdplayer in the trunk (or under seat)

I think I covered everything important...
Mine was this:
Asrock K7S41GX mobo
athlon 2600
768 DDR
9600xt video card
audigy 2 zs platinum sound card, optical out to a home theater yamaha amp, running 6.1 in my car (center channel in front and rear aswell)
And a 15" benQ screen uip front. It was touchscreen so I had a trackball mouse and a wireless keyboard in the car aswell.

Oh and another common option was a GPS mouse and a copy of microsoft streets and trips 2004 for on screen navigation... which I had.

I dont remember which gps mouse I had, but modem was BU-303... look it up if your interested.

EDIT: Oh, and for price, low end models with everything included were about 1200 installed. Mine was around 1400 in parts (had 2x200gb drives and dvd burner), which I would have sold for about 1700. $300 mark up is decent, considering it takes me time to gather all the parts or order them in, do the install work (not including any fiberglass work, which is extra, and Im slow with it so its expensive... eep) and get everything up and running takes about 3 hours of time. So meh, people paid it, it was cool.

I also warranty everything for 3 months for free, anything fails its covered (all the addition warranty is covered by purchase receipts given to customer for hardware issues) but I charge $30/hr for anything after 3 months. So far only had 1 issue, and it seems to be vid card related (2nd hard card of HIS)

Whistler225
04-12-2006, 02:53 AM
hrmmm.....just out of curiousity. My laptop has a monitor output. Would I not be able to buy a monitor I could mount somewhere on my dash, and just hook it up to my laptop?

Your systems sound really cool....if you're still around when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll probably look you up for a carputer. I'm sure it works better than what I'm talking about....

FyreDaug
04-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Well you COULD use the laptop for input, but where would you put it? Im sure you could put it under the seat aswell. Youll only have slightly less functionality with a laptop but itll work fine for the most part. Thing is for a laptop equivalent to what you could build with an actual PC you would end up paying more for the laptop. But if you already have a laptop I actually sold a system where he used his dell laptop that he uses at work for his system, we built a box in his glovebox that had all his connections, he just had to plug 3 things in and turn the wingnut to secure it in place and he was good to go. With monitor, installation and the box we built (fiberglass) in his glovebox, he was happy to pay me 800$ for it.

I'll get pics of the project im currently working on (for a buddy of mine's integra GSR 1999) as soon as I buy a camera

Whistler225
04-12-2006, 01:21 PM
that would be cool....

Now, do they make touchscreen monitors with usb connections for pc's? That way, I could put the laptop in my car, hook it up to the HU aux input, and hook up the usb and video cables from the monitor to the laptop, right? I could leave the lid shut and just slide it under the passenger seat.

FyreDaug
04-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah the touchscreen will have a USB interface to detect the touchstrokes, VGA or DVI input for video, and as for aux inputs on headunit, you can use regular headphone to RCA and use them to plug into input. That way you dont need another amp.... but where are you gonna mount a touchscreen and a head unit?

EDIT: And the monitor has a power plug (like a regular 3/8" DC plug in most of the time) that comes with 2 adapters most of the time... DC and AC, so you can technically use this touchscreen monitor as a home computer screen too... but 7" :ugh:

Whistler225
04-12-2006, 04:12 PM
well, actually I have a front aux input on my HU....it's a Sony CDX-GT200. As far as the mounting location for the touchscreen, I was thinking I might be able to put that in the center console between the e-brake and the shifter. I might even be able to set it up so I can fold the screen down and it will be concealed in the center console. I'll have to measure the clearance between the brake handle and the shifter. That way I could route the cable discreetly from under the passenger seat to the console, then under the console to the HU.

Do you know the width/height of the screen?

Whistler225
04-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Hey Fyre: what are you going to do with the Alpines you're pulling out of your car? I might be interested in them if they're in good shape.

Whistler225
04-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh, and I hate to sound stupid, but I have a question. I am bidding on an amp on Ebay....yeah ok that's probably stupid all on it's own, but I was curious....it's a 4 channel bridgeable, 30 watt/channel RMS....so it would be roughly 60 watts over two channels, yes? I'm the high bidder at 15 bucks....and it is a name brand amp....Pioneer actually, which I know there are better out there. So is 60 watts rms enough to push a 10" sub? I know it's ample for the Pioneer 6x9's I'm running till I get the subs....

Or would I be better off using this amp for a component system? It's a gm-x314. My Sony HU puts out 52W/channel peak (prob about 23-25W rms)

*hopes folks don't go running to Ebay to outbid him now....lol*

Vanilla Sky
04-12-2006, 06:41 PM
to run a low powered sub, it would work. emphasis on low powered.
fyredaug, one thing i'm curious about. couple things, actually. how well did your systems integrate with a headunit (for radio and such), and do you have any pics of any of your installs? since you know i'm interested in one for my truck (can't gather anymore cheap parts since i was fired, blah), i'm interested in seeing yours as inspiration.

Sabz5150
04-13-2006, 05:56 AM
so you can technically use this touchscreen monitor as a home computer screen too... but 7" :ugh:

I'd rock a 7 inch display as long as I had three of them. I contemplated building a portable setup that used three small screens at 800 or 1024. I can handle the small text easily and it would be choice for a FPS lanparty box.

FyreDaug
04-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Whistler, that might work, would look pretty cool. And yes that would be 60watts per channel if you bridged it. And dont bother running a sub with 60 watts, honestly it wont do what you want. If you get a set of used 6.5" speakers or something, you can use the woofer part of it and hook it up to a low pass amp (something where you can set cut off freq at a certain point) and use them as subs for 60 watts, trust me, it would sound better than using a bigger sub and not giving it much power.

How well did they inegrate? As long as the head unit had aux input you could run the seperate inputs seperately. You can scroll over to AUX IN, RADIO, CD etc. Worked fine. *shrugs*

No pics, unfortunately I lost a whole bunch during a HDD crash. I have a couple of the pre-install pics of one of them at home, and im finishing up an install right now that I will definately get pictures of them to show off. The only thing that kinda bugs me about this install is he doesnt want any fiberglass work (cheap ass) so if you look closely at the side of the monitor where it sits in the dash you can see the wire clip that goes in, just not as clean as I would like. He's actually wanting a full size case in his trunk, so thats what were doing, is a hatchback so itll sit in the back left corner and the hatch is 18.5" space top to bottt and the tower is an 18". Fits nice and has a pocket in the side to cover up wires.

Whistler225
04-15-2006, 05:55 AM
Hey Fyre: what are you going to do with the Alpines you're pulling out of your car? I might be interested in them if they're in good shape.

thought maybe you missed that one....are you going to hang on to those?

FyreDaug
04-15-2006, 04:37 PM
What would you pay me for em? They are 5.25" coaxails

Whistler225
04-15-2006, 05:07 PM
what model are they? anything wrong with them? I thought you were replacing your 6.5's in the rear also....I was really more interested in those as I have a pretty decent pair of Pioneer 6.5's in my doors.

FyreDaug
04-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah once my MBQ's are in, all 4 alpines are out. Rear speakers suck IMO, rear fill is good, but im going for a sound stage. The rears will eventually be those Mpyre 6.5" subs.

2 of them are reserved for someone else already, I dont know model number off hand, but last time I pulled them out IIRC they were 40w RMS 80w peak 4ohm... once my adapters get here ill give you a real model #

Whistler225
04-18-2006, 02:49 AM
thanks....I would probably only be interested if they're 6.5" because I'm going to try and do that trick hooking up an amp and using just the woofer cone with the low bandpass....

FyreDaug
04-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Well a 5.25 would do the same, you can only go so low with certain speakers. They would work the same as 6.5's.

Whistler225
04-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I see your point.

Well, my spacers came this past week and I installed them. The spacers worked out great and now my 6x9 baskets fit in the factory cutouts. The baffles I was a little disappointed in....just cheap thin plastic. One nice thing about them is they have little tuning dimples all around the edge so you can adjust porting. I might try tinkering with them once I get done playing with my new toy....I just bought a new home theater projector.....

dwchris
06-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Today, I installed some 6.5" Infinity Reference 6012i speakers in my '89, 4 dr. They sound great! I had to do a little trimming. For example, the front baskets I cut out with a jig saw and trimmed a bit with a dremel tool. The rears were just as easy. I trimmed a bit on those also. They fit nicely and sound awesome.
6012i's are highly recommended!