PDA

View Full Version : is this totaled??? my sig is very true

zacritz929
04-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Im drivin down the street yesterday and my hood is stickin up 2 inches on the passenger side so i pull over n pop my hood to find that my shock tower is basically gone...tell me what you think i should do....if theres anyway to fix this.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/zacritz929/IM001476.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/zacritz929/IM001475.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/zacritz929/IM001474.jpg

gfrg88
04-02-2006, 12:16 PM
damn....thats all ive got to say.......

3rdCoast
04-02-2006, 12:26 PM
looks pretty fuct to me

'A20A3'
04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah you're fucked. I've never seen rust like that in a 3G before.

zacritz929
04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
yaa. i was thinkin if i take the spring and strut off the gap will be gone and maybe i can have some place weld it somehow?

3G Jester
04-02-2006, 12:48 PM
my god! there is no way to just "weld that together" you would seriously need to weld in an entire front right quarter of another car. your arm, frame, spring...its all shot. and im gonna guess the rest of the car looks about the same.
time for a new car bro.

zacritz929
04-02-2006, 12:50 PM
ya i figured id here that lol...im about to go look for an accident to get in with it lol

89AccordResto
04-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah, just drive it into a pole or something. Be sure to duck. :)

'A20A3'
04-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I'd be scared to crash that rust-bucket into anything. New car time.

B16KILLA
04-02-2006, 02:51 PM
ya i figured id here that lol...im about to go look for an accident to get in with it lol

Not a bad idea at least you'll get some money out of it.:)

SQ is the SQUAD
04-02-2006, 02:54 PM
def time to junk it. all the effore you will spend trying to fix it and wont be close to orginial and you can find a new one cheeper. that why i got rid of my hatch

Legend_master
04-02-2006, 05:46 PM
That is definitly totaled. There probaly is not that much you can salvage, besides the engine.

Vanilla Sky
04-02-2006, 06:27 PM
yeah, with rust that bad, you'd be hard pressed finding clean metal to weld to.

part what's good and scrap the car.

MessyHonda
04-02-2006, 06:36 PM
yeah try to get some money off it..take out all the parts that are worth anyting... (shhhhu u didnt hear it from my but my uncle sprayed some brake cleaner on the paint and it goes mest up, he reported it stolen...broke the rear pass window...and parked it on this lonly part of town and the cops found it...he got 1690 bucks for it....oh yeah it was a shitty 92 mazda that keep dieing...it was not worth fixing up so now he has a nicer mazda turbo)

dont try to fix that...just get a 89 honda accord SE-I(fuel injection is cool)

HondaBoy
04-02-2006, 10:41 PM
looks very unsafe to drive. i'd not risk it. if you are going to drive it, you better unbolt the brake lines mount that are pictured in the 2nd pic you posted. that wont be good if you rip those apart with the strut tower pulling up on them. looks like you could fix it definately, but you'd really want to get a good shop to do it that can measure things up and do it correctly. good luck finding that panel though, maybe besides one off a car at a junk yard.

speedpenguin
04-03-2006, 08:44 AM
As long as the frame's still good, you can possibly fix it. You're not going to be able to do it yourself, and it's going to cost you a lot more than the car is worth. If you choose to keep the car, you're then going to have to spend a long, long time going over the body and removing/repairing the rest of the rust, because when it's that bad, that's not the only place it's going to be, and something like that will just happen again. If you have some sentimental attachment to it, and really think it's worth restoring, go for it!

3G Jester
04-03-2006, 09:13 AM
um. theres no possibility to fix that.l theres probably not a square centameter of decent un rusted metal to weld too. its not worth a damn dime to fix. buy a new car.

thegreatdane
04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
R.I.P

It could be fixed, but I reaalllyyy doubt that the rest of the car is worth it to fix that up.

SQ is the SQUAD
04-03-2006, 10:46 AM
just imagine what the other side looks like.

HondaBoy
04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
no, believe me i've seen worse than this and it looks to be totally fixable. its just most people dont have access to a body shop that they can do themselves. i'd estimate the cost of fixing that at anywhere between $800-$1400. parts and labor included. but that really depends where you get it done also, many shops are quite different in how they charge you. i'd just recommend buying another 3gee, if you really like them as much as i do, and use this car as just a parts car.

racerrck
04-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Ain't mid-west snow removal a bitch thats what salting roads around here does to everything... find another one it's just the beginning everythingelse you can't see under there looks just like it It's like cancer you fix one spot and it hits somewherelse It's a no win find a car from south of the mason-dixon line where salt is for fries

HondaBoy
04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
^ good one :lol:

zacritz929
04-03-2006, 01:12 PM
ya..im gonna part it out

BDaccordguy
04-03-2006, 01:28 PM
the only time ive seen rust like that around the shock towers is on my first car, the 87 accord. It only started rusting like that (that bad anyway) after it died and I got the 89 and used the 87 for parts. It was parked on grass for about 2 years when I noticed it rusting like that.

speedpenguin
04-03-2006, 03:04 PM
no, believe me i've seen worse than this and it looks to be totally fixable. its just most people dont have access to a body shop that they can do themselves. i'd estimate the cost of fixing that at anywhere between $800-$1400. parts and labor included. but that really depends where you get it done also, many shops are quite different in how they charge you. i'd just recommend buying another 3gee, if you really like them as much as i do, and use this car as just a parts car.
Is that really all you think it would cost?
Holy shit I was estimating a LOT more than that.

A18A
04-03-2006, 04:16 PM
HOLY FARK OMG not even our hijet had that much rust undernethe, you must have driven that in water or something. but hey, you cant let the car be toatled just coz of that, other wise it'll just be a waste, i know its a real big problem though

lostforawhile
04-03-2006, 04:25 PM
As long as the frame's still good, you can possibly fix it. You're not going to be able to do it yourself, and it's going to cost you a lot more than the car is worth. If you choose to keep the car, you're then going to have to spend a long, long time going over the body and removing/repairing the rest of the rust, because when it's that bad, that's not the only place it's going to be, and something like that will just happen again. If you have some sentimental attachment to it, and really think it's worth restoring, go for it!
THERE IS NO FRAME!! this is a unibody!! you are nuts to think he can fix that car and keep driving it,any shop that tells you they can is unethical as hell. stop driving it now!! if you keep driving it you don't need to stage an accident you are going to be in one. that is your upper arm and strut, those are two major components of your suspension,if it breaks any more you fender will come crashing down on your tire and you will spin out wherever you are. if you keep driving that more then likely you are going to die!!! I can't be too overdramatic here. what hold the entire weight of that car up is the upper and lower arm. the spring and strut in a double wishbone suspension don't support the weight of the car. what is supporting the weight of the car now are those small rusty pieces of metal clinging to the upper arm. I hope and pray you never drive this car again,I don't to want to hear of anyone on here dieing or severly injured.

zacritz929
04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
relax lol i havnt been drving the car but ive been thinking of ways to fix it possibly bolting strips of metal to hold the top part to the bottom part

A18A
04-03-2006, 04:38 PM
relax lol i havnt been drving the car but ive been thinking of ways to fix it possibly bolting strips of metal to hold the top part to the bottom part
good on you :D, did that break your bonnet or nething?, i want your pop-up lights 4 free :D

speedpenguin
04-03-2006, 04:42 PM
THERE IS NO FRAME!! this is a unibody!! you are nuts to think he can fix that car and keep driving it,any shop that tells you they can is unethical as hell. stop driving it now!! if you keep driving it you don't need to stage an accident you are going to be in one. that is your upper arm and strut, those are two major components of your suspension,if it breaks any more you fender will come crashing down on your tire and you will spin out wherever you are. if you keep driving that more then likely you are going to die!!! I can't be too overdramatic here. what hold the entire weight of that car up is the upper and lower arm. the spring and strut in a double wishbone suspension don't support the weight of the car. what is supporting the weight of the car now are those small rusty pieces of metal clinging to the upper arm. I hope and pray you never drive this car again,I don't to want to hear of anyone on here dieing or severly injured.
You're right, I wasn't looking at those closely enough.

blahblahblah
04-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Ouch...I really hate OHIO......us WAY to much salt ..

blahblahblah
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Ouch...I really hate OHIO......us WAY to much salt

zacritz929
04-04-2006, 06:02 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/zacritz929/fullcar.jpg
heres my best pic

lostforawhile
04-04-2006, 07:14 PM
no,thats not going to work. remember in a unibody the reinforced parts of the body function as the frame of the car, thats a stresssed load carrying frame member. strips of metal 'aint gonna cut it. think of the body like an egg, an egg has a tremendous amount of strength unbroken,because the load is distributed across the entire surface,but break the shell anywhere,and it crumbles easy. thats how a unibody works. with those main areas comprimised you have lost a lot of the body strength. I'm sure all your other suspension areas look like that too, I would give up on that one,I've seen rare classic cars be declared un restorable from rust like that. It's just not safe. NOTE: I'm orginally from Ohio, was born and raised there,Ashtabula to be exact,I can already tell you what the underside of that car looks like without even seeing it. do you still have floor pans? just wondering.

speedpenguin
04-04-2006, 08:20 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/zacritz929/fullcar.jpg

Looks like even your dog thinks it's fucked. :lol:

lostforawhile
04-04-2006, 08:26 PM
looks like it was a beautiful car at one point in time too,dam road salt.since you have to junk it,do you happen to know if those coupe quarter windows are the same as the hatch? wel being in the north,even the glass rusts I believe

Legend_master
04-04-2006, 09:11 PM
looks like it was a beautiful car at one point in time too,dam road salt.since you have to junk it,do you happen to know if those coupe quarter windows are the same as the hatch? wel being in the north,even the glass rusts I believe

I dont think they are the same, but If you really need it. Hit me up there are alot of hatces i the JY around here.

A18A
04-05-2006, 04:52 AM
Ouch...I really hate OHIO......us WAY to much salt

how do you double post 6 mins apart?

blahblahblah
04-05-2006, 06:41 AM
how do you double post 6 mins apart?
having to meny windows open at once....I think......

HondaBoy
04-05-2006, 11:26 AM
i was only estimating on what i was looking at. and that was the strut tower, nothing else that i was thinking would be around that price. but yeah, its probably just not worth fixed. although its a shame it had to go like that.