PDA

View Full Version : new and tortured... help!

jennwv
04-03-2006, 07:16 AM
The city of Charleston put a TOW sticker on my broken down 89Accord LXi. I LOVE it. Is it worth the trouble to tow and strip for parts OR search for a transmission and fix it OR should I just let it go????
Please help! What should I do?
I already have a broken down 86 at my dad's with the same transmission trouble. He is sick and tired of my Accord Obsession. any support or advice would be welcome.

speedpenguin
04-03-2006, 04:27 PM
:welcome:
If you can swap in a new transmission yourself or afford to pay for the swap, find a friend, head over to your local junkyard, and pull one. The cost isn't going to be that bad. My junkyard sells 'em for $75, but I wouldn't bet on them being that cheap. Nice to know someone else who's willing to consider going to ridiculous lengths to save an old shitty car. :)
Good luck!

jennwv
04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I guess it IS sort of ridiculous... I would love to put a new transmission in it, but it seems like SO much work, time, money, etc. I could do it in May after school's out....selling it for parts seems smarter. At least if I sold my nice aluminum rims and put on the standard ones w. hubcaps that could pay for the work, but then my car wouldn't look so hot. : (

MessyHonda
04-05-2006, 10:16 AM
well i had to pay almost 500 bucks for a transmition that has like 40,000 miles on it...it runs good...yeah last time i went to the junk yard i found a honda with 128k miles on it and the engine and interior looked good the only thing wrong was that it got rear ended and the side was smashed in....yeah you will need to knoe how to take out the transmition and put it back together

1ajs
04-05-2006, 03:45 PM
wats your trany doing?

o so you know its esay to get out but its a pain in the ass to get back in.....

HostileJava
04-05-2006, 04:39 PM
wats your trany doing?
o so you know its esay to get out but its a pain in the ass to get back in.....

That depends on if you do it the smart way or the backyard mechanic way. I dropped my auto when the car was up on jack stands and pulled it out underneath the front of the car and used a jack to get the new manual tranny is place during my auto to manual swap. That was a huge PITA. When steve and I pulled the motor to replace the crank and bearings we used a hoist. It was hella easy to pull the tranny on and off once it was out of the engine bay. Had I known that the first time I woulda used a hoist.

BTW, further discussion of the repairs should really be moved to the Technical section of the forum.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22

AccordEpicenter
04-05-2006, 04:59 PM
depends what the rest of the car is in condition wise. Whats the tranny doing?

HondaBoy
04-05-2006, 05:35 PM
personally i'd try and save the car. i hope you can find a transmission for cheap. the junk yard is the way to go. and if you do go that route dont just settle for one junk yard's price. shop around if you can. in some of my cases, the people at the junk yard will hook you up with someone that does work like that by reference. i hope you dont have to junk your car. hey, so why are they gonna tow it? where does it sit. if its on the street just move it to a different location. here where i live if they put the tow sticker on your car and you move it they are supposed to not tow it after that until a certain amount of days its been sitting.

speedpenguin
04-05-2006, 06:09 PM
If you can show up at a shop with a transmission ready to put in it will cost a lot less, since they can only charge you for labor. A tranny's not going to cost $500 if you pull it yourself.
And they're right, it's a lot easier to get out than it is to get in. Getting it out is just a matter of finding the tranny and disconnecting stuff until it comes out. Then just take it to a place that'll swap it with the one you have. It's still going to cost a lot less than buying a new car.

jennwv
04-13-2006, 11:38 AM
thanks for the input.
From these comments and some serious thinking I've made the decision to keep the car. I figured why work all summer to buy another POS when I have one already??
My dad and I towed it to his home (a la chain/SUV) outside the city a few days ago. It's sitting right beside the 86LX... looks like we're starting a junkyard or something. We're going to get started in May, so I'll post more questions/info on the situation in the technical section.

for those of you who're interested: The transmission is dead. I lost 5th first, of course, a year ago. Then it was grinding in 3rd forever. All of a sudden it went ka-boom and the car was stuck in gear and wouldn't move. it took some shaking and banging to get it out of gear to tow it, and I figure the whole tranny needs replaced.

speedpenguin
04-14-2006, 08:08 AM
thanks for the input.
From these comments and some serious thinking I've made the decision to keep the car. I figured why work all summer to buy another POS when I have one already??
My dad and I towed it to his home (a la chain/SUV) outside the city a few days ago. It's sitting right beside the 86LX... looks like we're starting a junkyard or something. We're going to get started in May, so I'll post more questions/info on the situation in the technical section.

for those of you who're interested: The transmission is dead. I lost 5th first, of course, a year ago. Then it was grinding in 3rd forever. All of a sudden it went ka-boom and the car was stuck in gear and wouldn't move. it took some shaking and banging to get it out of gear to tow it, and I figure the whole tranny needs replaced.
:cheers:

A20A1
04-17-2006, 10:05 PM
My city towed two of my accords... one of which I was trying to fix up. I ran out of time though. :(

LiTtLe xOx BitT
04-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Anytime my accord wasn't running i would just wait a few days then put it in neutral and push it up the street some so it looked like i actually drove it, lol.

bullard123
04-23-2006, 02:54 PM
If the fifh gear went out someone used the wrong fluid to lubticate ie. Someone used gear oil to lubricate my fifth gear when I bought my car and caused it to go out. Make sure you use 10w motor oil to lubricate it.