PDA

View Full Version : Cut my springs

accorddog
04-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Well I did it I cut the spring two coils on front and two on back droped car about 1.4" so it does work rides good still cut the springs off the bottom with grinder while still on car just jacked it up put on spring compresser and cut took about 15 min per looks good and works well

mkymonkey
04-03-2006, 12:39 PM
ouch

cubert
04-03-2006, 12:40 PM
im sorry.

3G Jester
04-03-2006, 02:55 PM
HA! your shocks are PHUCKED now buddy.
find your friedns and punch themm in the teeth for either a) putting shitty ideas in your head or B) not advising you against that.

Mars
04-03-2006, 07:36 PM
man dude, cutting springs is a bad idea. it completely changes the property of the springs.

NXRacer
04-03-2006, 07:50 PM
ROFL. you guys. cutting your springs technically does change the properties of the springs, but people have been doing that since your parents were kids. Its a cheap easy way to lower your car. sure, its not good on your suspension, but i'm betting he's not going for competetive auto crossing, so it'll do just fine. Its not going to eat up his struts any worse than a cheap set of coilovers off ebay would.

MessyHonda
04-03-2006, 08:12 PM
ROFL. you guys. cutting your springs technically does change the properties of the springs, but people have been doing that since your parents were kids. Its a cheap easy way to lower your car. sure, its not good on your suspension, but i'm betting he's not going for competetive auto crossing, so it'll do just fine. Its not going to eat up his struts any worse than a cheap set of coilovers off ebay would.

for reels? i want to cut mine since my new struts made my car higher but then a set of dropzone springs are only 80 bucks and they will lower it 2.25 inches...i have not done all my research but if i lower my car should i be worried about camber wear?

ghettogeddy
04-03-2006, 08:33 PM
for reels? i want to cut mine since my new struts made my car higher but then a set of dropzone springs are only 80 bucks and they will lower it 2.25 inches...i have not done all my research but if i lower my car should i be worried about camber wear?
id like to know this as well? how far can u go before it efects the camber.

Vanilla Sky
04-03-2006, 08:47 PM
congrats on your now dangerous ride.

i have several sets of springs i can send you.

and yeah, caleb, people have been doing this forever. they have also started wars and commited suicide forever. you don't see me joining in.

while yeah, new springs cost a few bucks, you can get them cheap online. i know you should be using new struts with them, too, but you can get away without it for a while.

the reason i'm so against cut coils is that your springs will never seat in thier perches properly again, giving you a shitty ride and posing serious danger if the spring happens to slip (see "car in brick wall" for references).

gfrg88
04-03-2006, 09:13 PM
you can also use some cheap springs for a 90-93 accord? theyre on ebay all the time, i thin those are better than cut springs

Pico
04-03-2006, 09:21 PM
you can also use some cheap springs for a 90-93 accord? theyre on ebay all the time, i thin those are better than cut springs
Do they sit lower than the stock coils in our models?

mkymonkey
04-03-2006, 09:37 PM
did you even meassure where you cut them? i know that some people use a piece of string so they cut it at the same location.

i still say ouch.

gfrg88
04-03-2006, 09:38 PM
i think they are the same?

Acid X
04-04-2006, 01:02 AM
I have a 2.25" drop with the Dropzone Springs.. The camber is around 1.7 degrees all around. I haven't noticed any bad tire wear, just be sure to get an alignment after. Toe is what really eats up your tires.

I know i just rotated my tires and the inner edge of my rears were worn alot, but i think that might have been because i was rolling on really low tire pressure for a while.

Also note that i have 16" rims with 205/45 tires, so that will also make a worse wear than stock tires (i think, just because they are wider)

SteveDX89
04-04-2006, 01:13 AM
I have a 2.25" drop with the Dropzone Springs.. The camber is around 1.7 degrees all around. I haven't noticed any bad tire wear, just be sure to get an alignment after. Toe is what really eats up your tires.
I know i just rotated my tires and the inner edge of my rears were worn alot, but i think that might have been because i was rolling on really low tire pressure for a while.
Also note that i have 16" rims with 205/45 tires, so that will also make a worse wear than stock tires (i think, just because they are wider)

Specs say 1º is the max. You're a little over so you'll wear a little more but no sweat.

b8er
04-04-2006, 05:17 AM
from what iv read around, anything lower then a 2inch drop is gonna need a camber kit, just like AcidX said its alwasy a great idea to have an alignemnt done anytime anything major with the suspension has be played with. i realixe ppl have ben cutting springs for years and years but it still seems a little to retro for me, on an older 30's rat rod era car i see it no prob but i dunno, mabye its just me, aha,

got any pics of the car lowerd now?

Trick87Accord
04-04-2006, 10:30 AM
yeah man after you cut springs your tires will start to wear really bad on one side of your tires if you do not get a camber kit i dropped my quit a bit and i dont have a camber kit and if i dont get one soon i will be paying for tires every couple of months. and with 100 dollar a piece tires that will add up fast. Get a real suspension lowering kit and a camber kit, and do it right.

accorddog
04-04-2006, 10:51 AM
the camber is still ok long as i dont drop any more the front cuts worked well the back is not so great the springs dont line up unless you take them apart to cut them but looks good

NXRacer
04-04-2006, 03:45 PM
technically, if you drop your car at all you need a camber kit.

its highly suggested to get one if you go lower than 1.5 inches.

I cannot stress enough what acid-x said. I had my car dropped over 3" and i had VERY little tire wear on the inside due to the fact that right after i dropped it i had a body shop do a toe alignment on it. Every shop will tell you you can't adjust the camber, but just tell them thats ok, all you want is a toe adjustment.

Having bad toe will eat your tires in a matter of weeks. Fixing that so all you have is negative camber and you'll be golden. Of course, a camber kit is highly suggested, but not an absolute must unless you're going for auto-x. But keep in mind, your tires WILL wear faster than it would at stock heighth. Even if you have a camber kit.

AZmike
04-04-2006, 04:33 PM
But keep in mind, your tires WILL wear faster than it would at stock heighth. Even if you have a camber kit.

Care to elaborate?

NXRacer
04-04-2006, 05:34 PM
i've yet to see or hear of a camber kit that fixed a camber issue 100%. when you add custom suspension stuff, you throw out the factory specs and its hard to get it back.