PDA

View Full Version : Real rust repair?

FyreDaug
04-03-2006, 03:23 PM
The rust on my 87 hatch isnt too bad.
The front fenders are good, hood is hood. Doors have a little surface rust at the bottom, but the back rocker tires and fenders have some rust. The worst spot is about 3" diameter "hole" (looking at the car from the side, drivers door in front of you) before the back wheel by the door. Id like to get most of this repaired... properly. Like pay a shop to do it. Im at work now for quite a while and wont be able to call around yet, but what should I expect for primarily 2 rear rockers and a bit of the fenders, and maybe a little bit on the hatch lid (surface only there)

halxi
04-03-2006, 05:07 PM
some shops will probably try to talk you into replacing the whole 1/4 panel... which is very pricey, but the only way to OFFICIALLY get rid of rust forever.

Its hard to tell how much they'll want to replace without pics though

FyreDaug
04-03-2006, 05:12 PM
well its not a rounded edge or anything, so even if they cut back abit and just welded a piece of sheet metal in there Id be happy, just to get rid of the unsightly hole

Hash_man_Se_i
04-03-2006, 05:24 PM
To cut out the rust, fab new pieces and paint it and such properly which will get rid of the rust for quite a long time, will probably cost about $1000-1200 CDN.

But like Halxi said, replacing the 1/4 panels is the best way to do it, but costs a loooot of money.

FyreDaug
04-04-2006, 07:14 AM
bah

Tomisimo
10-09-2006, 03:13 PM
To cut out the rust, fab new pieces and paint it and such properly which will get rid of the rust for quite a long time, will probably cost about $1000-1200 CDN.
But like Halxi said, replacing the 1/4 panels is the best way to do it, but costs a loooot of money.

Well i did mine !!! did cost me a fortune but i can be asured that i newer gona get rust there again... Se mi Cardomain, there i laid out some pix of work.

w261w261
10-09-2006, 03:27 PM
If you are going to do it right with the rear quarter rust, you have to first get a handle on how bad it is. I'm surprised, given the amount of rust in the front of the rear wheel well, that you don't have it where most others do (if they do), which is at the rear of the wheel arch. Also, hidden by the fender liner, the cars tend to rust at the rear of the wheel well. I noticed this when I was unclogging my rear sunroof drains, because the drain tubes go right out behind the fender well. You take off the trunk liner from inside, and ...whoa! what's this? So that gets fixed, and then there's the whole fender arch.

Someone sells a replacement arch, which is welded into the spot where you cut the old arch out. I'd say, if you're springing for a new paint job (a good one) for the front of the arch, you should redo the whole thing, because I'm sure that the rust is in the back too. That kind of repair is necessarily pricey, and probably can't be justified on any other basis than "I Love My 3G." Just my 02.

HondaBoy
10-09-2006, 03:32 PM
just make sure they dont use junk parts. i made this mistake of letting a shop put on a qp, now its about the only thing on the car rusted out. the original body is great except that part the body shop put on. they fucked up, i always like to go and show off the rust they put on. lol. and i tell eveyone where i got it. haha. so they screwed themselves.

Tomisimo
10-10-2006, 05:38 AM
Well you need to know your bodyshop very well before you can lat them do som on your car...

epic1400cs
10-15-2006, 07:34 AM
I even dont know if this thread is still alive but I just came across. I have some rust on my left rear quarter and I quoted at Honda dealership in London, UK. I asked them to patch some part but all they can do is to remove whole panel and replace with brandnew OEM panel (ofcourse). The estimate total is a bit less than 1000 pounds (1900 USD right?). It is over my budget so I didn't do it in the end. I am expecting somebody to bump into the panel so that I can fix it with the idiot's insurance but not happend yet(I have replaced pass. door and rear bumper so far with this scheme) :D