PDA

View Full Version : Heat

Whistler225
04-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I was hoping someone could post the most common causes/cures for no heat.

The ones I know of are:

bad heater core
no coolant
interior heat door fails to open
Air in the coolant system

My heat doesn't work. I have hot coolant going to and coming from the heater core, and air moves into the cabin just fine, it's just cold.

Anyone know which cause this would be, and how to fix it?

It's annoying when I need defrost, and it just fogs up my windshield.

Whistler225
04-08-2006, 07:37 AM
well, fixed my heat this morning. I knew it was odd that the coolant coming out of my heater core was the same temp as that going in, and I had no heat. Started the car, turned myself upside down across the seat so I could look under the dash, and found the problem immediately.

For anyone who has no heat, but your heater core seems to be working: if you have the slider controls for temp, check the cable! Mine had popped off under the dash, didn't have to take anything off to get to it.

There are two cables under there. They look identical to each other. They both have little rings soldered onto the end, which attach to little posts that come off the control arms. The one for the temp slider attaches to the control arm of the heater box door (duh). Not sure what the other one is for, since fan adjustment is my only other slider. Moving that slider changes the fan output, but does nothing to that cable. Everything else is push button. But if you move your temp slider, you can see the cable moving, so you can identify which one it is.

This might sound stupid and simple to everyone else, and yeah, it was a simple fix, but I can see people swapping out heater cores and tearing their dash out without ever checking this cable, and if it came off on mine, it can come off on yours. You could possibly save yourself the grief of removing the dash and heater core (not to mention the AC stuff if your car has it) if you check this cable first.
I just slid it back on and walla! I had heat. Now I just need to figure out how to keep it from popping off again lol.....

A20A1
04-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Maybe check your thermostat... not sure if that can cause the problem... also check your water pump.

I knew right away when my heat died on me one day that my water pump had died. I replaced the water pump and my heat came back it would go away, my heat came back just the very next day. :D

Don't trust your temp gauge in the dash to let you know if your pump is working or not.
Feel the in and out hoses with your hands... just be cautious.

Whistler225
04-08-2006, 02:22 PM
What I meant was I fixed my heat :-D

lol....kinda sucked a few days ago when it rained and I had no defrost. So I went out this morning and found that loose cable, and hooked it up. Now the heat works just fine.

A20A1
04-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Sorry I totally ignored your second post :) :lol: I thought it was someone else replying to your thread.

Whistler225
04-08-2006, 03:24 PM
:cheers: