PDA

View Full Version : my old intercooler for $100 + shipping

Accordtheory
04-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Mods, please don't put this in the for sale section..I put it here for a reason..specifically, the people looking for an intercooler wouldn't necessarily be looking in the for sale section, as there are no intercoolers made for our cars..
I paid a lot more than $100 for this, and although I admit the outside looks like shit, the inside doesn't. I spent many hours welding, grinding, and sanding to get a nice smooth radius into the TB on the inside of the piece before I welded it onto the cooler. As far as the outside, mig welding aluminum with the wire being pushed all the way from the welder itself (no spoolgun) totally sucks. This core is a garrett factory intercooler from a gmc syclone/typhoon. ( 13 sec 6 cylinder turbo automatic awd truck) As long as you have adequate water flowing through it, (decent bilge pump) this thing will cool very well. I believe air/water intercoolers are better than air/air due to the high specific heat of the h20/antifreeze coolant, although they are more complex..
Anyway, I have decided this is too small for my new goals, with my b series and holset turbo. I'll include my torque mount modified to bolt to the bottom of it for reinforcement, which is crucial since the TB is welded onto the intercooler, and you wouldn't want all that mass trying to vibrate unsupported. I think this thing would work fine for up to 300whp, or running deep in the 12s at least..If any of you guys might want this, pm me..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/779000-779999/779069_1_full.jpg

mkymonkey
04-04-2006, 07:31 PM
do you have any "in progress" pics of when you were building it? and what IM is that?

Accordtheory
04-04-2006, 07:43 PM
no
aebs typhoon, my favorite cheap manifold (performs about the same as the type r, and it's cheaper)

mkymonkey
04-04-2006, 11:43 PM
cool...but you got pm

sinisterfuzzy
04-09-2006, 03:18 PM
hey will this work on a 1989 Honda Accord LX if not what can I do to make it work on it?

smufguy
04-14-2006, 05:57 AM
hey will this work on a 1989 Honda Accord LX if not what can I do to make it work on it?

yes it will work on your A20A1 motor.