PDA

View Full Version : Driving technique

Mars
04-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I go to thinking last night... (for future reference, if i ever say this in real life, duck)
Theres a wealth of mechanical information on this site, but what about driving technique?
I think it would be cool to sawp tips on performance driving.

Any idea? *coughheymodscough*

Or could this be a "liability thing?"
ie: jimbob tells ricerkid that he can ebrake a corner at 85 and ricer gets himself put in traction, parents sue 3geez.

'A20A3'
04-05-2006, 12:31 PM
"3Geez.com is not responsible for stupid riceboys driving attempts" :lol:

Mars
04-05-2006, 12:34 PM
:lol:

ghettogeddy
04-05-2006, 01:19 PM
3geez is not rsponsible for and thing you do to your car even if the info came from here everything is posted and is do it your own will i should be staed in the terms of use that everone skips and just says yes too

1ajs
04-05-2006, 02:30 PM
i read it................

snoopyloopy
04-05-2006, 10:09 PM
well, while we're on the subject of driving technique, was it here that some had posted the link to the site for the shifting technique that's supposed to eliminate missed shifts? if it was, can someone repost it?

Cheeseburger
04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
"3Geez.com is not responsible for stupid riceboys driving attempts" :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Mars
04-05-2006, 11:01 PM
well, while we're on the subject of driving technique, was it here that some had posted the link to the site for the shifting technique that's supposed to eliminate missed shifts? if it was, can someone repost it?
talking about double clutching?

A20A1
04-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Here was the Auto Racing thread.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31729

b8er
04-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Any idea? *coughheymodscough*

what , you mean like screwing a little chunk of wood to your gas peddle to make it easier to heel and toe?...

Mars
04-06-2006, 09:26 AM
what , you mean like screwing a little chunk of food to your gas better to make it easier to heel and toe?...
haha what? food? ..... :wtf:

no i meant moderators lol.

but a heal toe adapter .... might not be that bad of an idea. ~thinks~

b8er
04-06-2006, 02:11 PM
aha food, sorry i ment wood il be changin that, im actually surprised i messed up that much in the sentence, but yes i noticed that our cars are NOT set up for heel and toe very well, the gas bettre sits arond an inch lower then the brake peddle , making for a very awkward foot angle, so screwing a chuck of wood onto the gas peddle to bring the surface up flush with the brake peddle makes it alot easier

snoopyloopy
04-15-2006, 04:01 PM
talking about double clutching?
no, it was a website that showed hand positioning for a shifting technique. instead of clutching the top of the shift lever, you grab it more on the side. it was linked from a site for more exotic cars than the honda accord, though.

speedpenguin
04-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Technique to avoid missed shifts... you mean like paying attention?
I've never missed a shift. I would like to hear more about this technique, it might have other advantages?

snoopyloopy
04-15-2006, 04:58 PM
it's supposed to be a hand placement that helps reduce the possibility of missing a shift because of the positioning your hands. basically, instead of gripping the shifter by the top, you grip the side and use a push/pull manner with you hands on the side of the ball or shift lever. there was a whole website with pix, but i cn't remember what it was. but i got the link from this forum...

Whistler225
04-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Snoopy: I do think that's the proper way to hold a shifter, unless you have a hurst shifter that is. Dunno what it's called, I usually call it a pistol grip. Unfortunately car companies realized that few people use this method of shifter grasp, so they put these goofy damned balls on top of their shifters. You ought to be able to grip it either way, but it's easier if you get an actual pistol grip style shifter.

A20A1: Not sure most people would be able to grasp double clutching. ;-) The only reason I know about it is because once upon a time I drove a truck....Some of those require it or you can't even upshift. I'd imagine actual racers like you are familiar with the technique, but I dunno if most people could get used to doing it that way lol....it might not be a bad idea though to put together a thread about proper driving/shifting techniques....could it include safety tips?

epic1400cs
04-15-2006, 05:42 PM
basically, instead of gripping the shifter by the top, you grip the side and use a push/pull manner with you hands on the side of the ball or shift lever.
Yeah, it is a kind of motorsports driving basic I guess.
It doesnt mean everyone have to do it I think..
I have been driving RHD but If you are driving LHD,
1) 1 to 2 -- face your palm to your side and pushing the knob toward your ass.
2) 2 to 3 -- face your palm to passenger side and push knob toward 3 diagonally.
3) 3 to 4 -- face your palm to passenger side and push knob toward back straight
4) 4 to 5 -- face your palm to passenger side and push knob toward 5 diagonally.
you need to push the side of knob with your centre of the open palm.
This way, the action is one action rather than crank action so it is quicker.
Also your hand doesnt slip off from the knob easily.
If you want to do this, I recommend you to practice while your car is stand still rather than at 140 mph.

speedpenguin
04-15-2006, 05:55 PM
I think I already do that. Sweet. Word of advice for that, 5th gear is tricky, it's tough to get it in with a diagonal push

snoopyloopy
04-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, it is a kind of motorsports driving basic I guess.
It doesnt mean everyone have to do it I think..
I have been driving RHD but If you are driving LHD,
1) 1 to 2 -- face your palm to your side and pushing the knob toward your ass.
2) 2 to 3 -- face your palm to passenger side and push knob toward 3 diagonally.
3) 3 to 4 -- face your palm to passenger side and push knob toward back straight
4) 4 to 5 -- face your palm to passenger side and push knob toward 5 diagonally.
you need to push the side of knob with your centre of the open palm.
This way, the action is one action rather than crank action so it is quicker.
Also your hand doesnt slip off from the knob easily.
If you want to do this, I recommend you to practice while your car is stand still rather than at 140 mph.

yeah, that's the the one. do you have the site for it? and/or do you know the way for downshifting?

epic1400cs
04-15-2006, 06:46 PM
yeah, that's the the one. do you have the site for it? and/or do you know the way for downshifting?
No I dont have a site for it.
I was told from my instructor when I was learning gymkhana.

1) 5 to 4 -- face your palm to your side and push(pull?) the knob toward your ass diagonally.
2) 4 to 3 -- face your palm to front and push knob toward front straight
3) 3 to 2 -- face your palm to your side and push(pull?) the knob toward your ass diagonally.
1) 2 to 1 -- face your palm to your side and push the knob toward your foot.

something like that.

Ah, and if you are on A/T car and want to drive faster around a corner, one driving technique is to use your left foot for braking as well as down shift by manually change the A/T selector from D4 > D3 > 2. Keep the braking as strong as possible just before the wheel lock but release the pedal a bit when the A/T shifts down so that you dont lock the front wheel. When you finish braking, point the steeling to the exit and you simply press the gas in full with your right foot so there is no time rag by chaging the right foot from brake pedal to gas pedal. You can use this left foot brake if you want to do good standing start but be careful not to over heat the A/T..

MessyHonda
04-15-2006, 08:01 PM
No I dont have a site for it.
I was told from my instructor when I was learning gymkhana.

1) 5 to 4 -- face your palm to your side and push(pull?) the knob toward your ass diagonally.
2) 4 to 3 -- face your palm to front and push knob toward front straight
3) 3 to 2 -- face your palm to your side and push(pull?) the knob toward your ass diagonally.
1) 2 to 1 -- face your palm to your side and push the knob toward your foot.

something like that.

Ah, and if you are on A/T car and want to drive faster around a corner, one driving technique is to use your left foot for braking as well as down shift by manually change the A/T selector from D4 > D3 > 2. Keep the braking as strong as possible just before the wheel lock but release the pedal a bit when the A/T shifts down so that you dont lock the front wheel. When you finish braking, point the steeling to the exit and you simply press the gas in full with your right foot so there is no time rag by chaging the right foot from brake pedal to gas pedal. You can use this left foot brake if you want to do good standing start but be careful not to over heat the A/T..

i only hold the break with my left foot in the moring cuz my car has a bad idel and it goes up to 2500rpm, once i left of the break it will go to like 25mph with out even touching the gas. so at stops i put it on neutral and sometimes the car moves back so i have to use my left foot to break and the right to rev the engine to lower the RPM